View Full Version : Lexar Media Ships 2GB CompactFlash Speed Rated at 40X

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 09:43 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitalfilm.com/dynamic-frameset_newsroom.html?http://www.lexarmedia.com/newsroom/press/press_04_30_03.html' target='_blank'>http://www.digitalfilm.com/dynamic-...s_04_30_03.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Lexar Media, Inc., a leading designer, developer and marketer of award-winning high-performance digital media and accessories, today announces the shipment of 2GB 40 X-speed Professional Series CompactFlash cards. The superior 40 X-speed cards are guaranteed to be capable of a minimum sustained write speed of 6MB/s, and may operate up to a maximum write speed of 7MB/s or more. The 2GB Type I cards are expected to have a retail price of $699.99. The large capacity cards were developed primarily for professional photographers who often prefer to shoot large image files, such as TIFF and RAW, and have a need for high-speed, high capacity memory cards."<br /><br />This is a great! It probably also explains the drop in prices in the 1 GB and lower range - the market always prepares itself for new high-end products. 2 GB...drool...although I'm finding that for most things, 512 MB is a great size to have. Except when I'm travelling that is - then I can fill up any size card.

danmanmayer
05-01-2003, 10:06 PM
That is alot of music. Or I don't know about the rest of you but that would be alot of video files for me. There is nothing cooler than sitting back and watching movies and TV episodes on a pocket pc while travelling. Also if you make movies like i do it is great to be able to carry your film around in your pocket. "Oh you make movies, I would love to see one..." "Ok here you go." hehe such a geek.

Do you think they would trade me a 2GB card if i danced for them? Perhaps i could make Lexar commercials like the joe boxer guy. I would just dance around listening to music on my 2 gb lexar card... Hmm for some reason i dont think this plan will work.

Reza
05-01-2003, 10:26 PM
On a slightly different yet somehow relevant topic, what appeals to me is the concept of carrying my entire media library with me at any time, but we are still so very far away from this. Sure the new iPods with their 30GB hard drive can store all my CDs, but I’d also like to carry all my books, pictures, DVDs, videogames, etc…

How long do you guys think we’d need to wait for a magical device that’d hold one person’s entire media collection? 5 years? 10 years?

And of course it’d have the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover. :D

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 10:53 PM
On a slightly different yet somehow relevant topic, what appeals to me is the concept of carrying my entire media library with me at any time, but we are still so very far away from this. Sure the new iPods with their 30Go hard drive can store all my CDs, but I’d also like to carry all my books, pictures, DVDs, videogames, etc…

How long do you guys think we’d need to wait for a magical device that’d hold one person’s entire media collection? 5 years? 10 years?

And of course it’d have the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover. :D

&lt; 2 years. It's so close now.

qmrq
05-01-2003, 10:53 PM
On a slightly different yet somehow relevant topic, what appeals to me is the concept of carrying my entire media library with me at any time, but we are still so very far away from this. Sure the new iPods with their 30Go hard drive can store all my CDs, but I’d also like to carry all my books, pictures, DVDs, videogames, etc…

Maxtor released a 250GB external drive awhile ago, you can see it here (http://myahead.com/go/look/product.show_product?v_id=3686).

Compact Flash sizes are getting crazy . . . 4GB cards have been announced by both Lexar (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030201lexar2gb4gb.asp) and Sandisk (http://www.ephotozine.com/news/fullnews.cfm/NewsID/1112). I've read that 6GB cards are just around the corner...

frax
05-01-2003, 10:55 PM
which ppc accepts CF type I cards, then? Aren't all of the "small" CF cards type II?

Don Tolson
05-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I think most of the Pocket PC's accept type 1 CF cards -- they represent the smallest form factor. Not many of the 'older' (like 6 months ago :roll: ) ones accept the type 2 CF form, since it was a bit larger.

lurch
05-01-2003, 11:10 PM
The 2GB Type I cards are expected to have a retail price of $699.99.
Type I!!! Whoo Hoo!! My poor Jornada (whom I love dearly) can't handle those big type IIs, so this is GREAT! Although for the price of the card I could buy a couple of Dells.... ;)

entropy1980
05-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Slightly off topic but I can't wait till they get a little larger 3-5gig range....imagine an Ipod-like Mp3 player or heck one integrated into a PPC! The advantage over the Ipod would be better battery life over a traditonal HD setup....

Will T Smith
05-02-2003, 12:36 AM
I doubt that Lexar's introduction of a 40x line of accelerated CF cards affects market prices in the slightest. BTW, Lexar has a history of trumping up effectively INFERIOR pieces of equipment. Search for a comparative review of CF speeds on Digital Photography Review.

Rather, production yields and market forces are what drive prices down. Less demand or more supply changes market prices immediately regardless of manufacturing costs. Higher manufacturing yields and lower die-sizes yields means lower per-unit costs which allows manufacturers to offer their products at lower prices while remaining profitable.

I would warn people to beware of Lexar's "high-performance" marketing scheme. In the past, standard parts from reputable manufacturers (Viking, Crucial, etc...) have proved faster then Lexar's accelerated line. Futhermore, remember that a card that exceeds the bandwidth of the slot it's plugged into isn't worth buying. In other words, putting a 40x card in your PocketPC probably WON'T help since the standard ISA based CF slot isn't capable of transferring data that quickly.

Will T Smith
05-02-2003, 12:43 AM
I think most of the Pocket PC's accept type 1 CF cards -- they represent the smallest form factor. Not many of the 'older' (like 6 months ago :roll: ) ones accept the type 2 CF form, since it was a bit larger.

ALL CF slots accept CF Type 1 memory cards. This is the "standard" size and MOST memory is shipped in this format. Some "larger" format CF cards have been shipped in Type 2 as they used an extra layer of RAM chips to achieve their capacity.

CF type2 is an extension introduced by IBM to accomodate the little extra thickness that the microdrive introduced. Most PocketPCs that receive CF also receive CF type 2. The Jornada was a noticeable holdout that only accepted type 1.

Some I/O cards also ship only in Type 2 format as the extra width gives designers a bit more space to work with. Though with the introction of SD I/O devices which are considerably smaller in all dimesions than CF type 1, more CF cards that were type 2 are moving to type 1.
[/list]

tj21
05-02-2003, 01:42 AM

Portable terabyte+ storage!!! 8O

Of course by then we'll have moved to higher definition video so we'll still be out of space...

SassKwatch
05-02-2003, 02:34 AM
The 2GB Type I cards are expected to have a retail price of $699.99. The large capacity cards were developed primarily for professional photographers who often prefer to shoot large image files, such as TIFF and RAW, and have a need for high-speed, high capacity memory cards."

Of course, for the above purpose, one could purchase a 1GB Microdrive for ~ $250 these days, plus one of these....

http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_all_results.asp?ProdID=I6N1USB20GB

.....for $229.99 and have probably even faster write times and 10 X the storage space. Plus ~ $100(US) to spare.

These cards will obviously have a lot of uses, and I suspect there will be those who will use it for the above, "but"........

KidKomputer
05-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Slightly off topic but I can't wait till they get a little larger 3-5gig range....imagine an Ipod-like Mp3 player or heck one integrated into a PPC! The advantage over the Ipod would be better battery life over a traditonal HD setup....

You don't need to wait very long at all

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03031303sandisk4gbcfcard.asp

nobody
05-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I am wondering if running a real windows xp on CF is possible. That will be way cool!

chuckers
05-02-2003, 04:31 AM
cf is too slow to have be viable for running xp off it. Bus speeds on cf are no where near ide, it would be pitifully slow.

qmrq
05-02-2003, 04:56 AM
I am wondering if running a real windows xp on CF is possible. That will be way cool!

Yes, very possible, assuming you can boot from a usb device.

ctmagnus
05-02-2003, 05:16 AM

I've heard of it being done, however, that wasn't the desktop-version that we all know and love. That version had been trimmed down to fit on a 40MB card.

qmrq
05-02-2003, 06:27 AM

A "real" (?) install of Windows on a CF card is theoretically possible, assuming you have space (at least 1GB), and your motherboard supports booting from a USB device . . . I'd try it, but I don't have any flash cards that large.

[oops, replied twice :oops:]

rlobrecht
05-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Maxtor released a 250GB external drive awhile ago, you can see it here (http://myahead.com/go/look/product.show_product?v_id=3686).

I'm not carrying one of these in my pocket. :D

rlobrecht
05-02-2003, 01:06 PM

There are also CF to IDE adapters. They're being heavily used with VIA EPIA motherboards for low power silent machines.

Jimmy Dodd
05-02-2003, 03:14 PM

My company runs Windows Embedded XP off of CF memory. I don't know if that qualifies as "real" XP for you or not, though.

patwoods
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM

Although I initially hoped for such a scenario myself, after buying an iPod, I can tell you I get 8 hours of play time on it regularly, without having to resort to trickery like turning off the screen and the like. Plus the iPod is now starting at 10GB, for around $300... (Plus, the new software fixes the battery issues folks have had for the last two years, so you can't really use that as ammo anymore... 7-9 hours is a reasonable expectation of battery life in an iPod at this point.)

Figure $200 for the CHEAPEST PPC at this point, plus another $$$ for the mega-GB CF card, and it isn't even worth a comparison (at this point in time). The iPod still rules for mp3s, without question.

I am hoping the iPods will jump up into the 60-100BG range one day, I have 55+GB of stuff if I want to carry my entire (music only) media library. 8O

Janak Parekh
05-02-2003, 05:20 PM
You don't want to, though. CF is not designed for very frequent writes and rewrites, and XP does too much -- you'd hit the end-of-life of the flash chips in the card pretty quickly.

My company runs Windows Embedded XP off of CF memory. I don't know if that qualifies as "real" XP for you or not, though.
I'd suspect XP Embedded is designed to run completely in-memory, or avoid frequent writes and other performance hits. It's a fairly stripped-down yet powerful subset of the XP OS.

--janak

SLUG
05-02-2003, 07:37 PM

I'm running Windows 98 on my FIC Aquapad using a 256 MB Compact Flash card, but in order to reduce the number of Write/Erase cycles I turned off Virtual Memory (swap file for NT/2000/XP) so yes it can work but you will take a performance hit because of the swap file issue. I just wish that they would develop a CF card that did have a limit on Write /Erase cycles :soapbox:

TheNewSteve
05-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Even though I have a 1 gig CF card coming, I will likely splurge for a Toshiba Hopbit this summer.

It's a small (about PPC sized) external 5 gig hard drive with a lithium Ion battery and bluetooth.

Can you say streaming .oggs from backpack to PPC?

That is an exciting use for bluetooth, although I'm not sure what program I'd need to "stream" .ogg files over a bluetooth connection (i don't think WinamPAQ would see the files by itself).

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=HOPBIT

http://www.dcviews.com/press/Toshiba_HOPBIT.htm

http://www.blueunplugged.com/shop/detailcomingsoon.asp?productGroupID=178&deptID=9

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2002_10/pr0902.htm

Only flaw I can see is having USB 1.1 and not 2.0 (my computer doesn't have 2.0 anyway)

Anyway, sign me up whenever the price comes wayyyyyyyyyy below the dynamism.com price of $699!

-Steve