View Full Version : What We Want in Our PDAs

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 08:20 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=2&u=/pcworld/20030501/tc_pcworld/110537' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._pcworld/110537</a><br /><br /></div>"Sales of personal digital assistants fell in the first quarter, but voice-enabled handset shipments rose 16.6 percent as compared to last year, according to research released by IDC Wednesday. Worldwide, vendors shipped 107.6 million units in the first quarter.<br /><br />Voice is the "killer application" for handset devices right now, as both consumers and professionals want to be able to talk to associates and customers while also storing key data on a small device, said Alex Slawsby, an analyst with IDC. This is driving the growth of mobile phones, while sales of PDAs without voice features dropped in the first quarter, he said."<br /><br />Waitaminute...I thought that consumers didn't want converged devices?

Don Tolson
05-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Personally, I think Alex is dreaming/hoping. As we've heard here (fairly strongly) there are essentially two camps -- one who want it all-in-one, and those who don't -- and I don't think that we're going to sway over one camp to the other in the near future.

I'm not sure there is a 'killer app' on the horizon that will spark huge sales of PDAs. The whole raison d'etre for PDAs was the 'organizer' stuff -- contacts, appts, etc. and now I see more and more people starting to use them as true 'Pocket PC's. Heck, at a training course last week, a bunch of the guys were showing off their Tide Table software for Palm!

I think what we're going to see next is the 'productization' of the PDA -- much the same as the desktop PC -- you won't really care what brand it is, just the features, hardware, and built in capabilities. (And... does it run the software I already have????)

jpaq
05-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Consumers want flexibility.
They want a PPC Phone Edition and a phone that will that will accept their SIM card.

They want these two to work well together, but also work well apart.

They also want fries with that.

:D

danmanmayer
05-01-2003, 08:44 PM
So does this mean people want convergance but aren't willing to pay for it until it is all implemented well. Voice i think will be important to the use of pocket pcs in the future. thumbboards are still hard to type on and it is annoying to bring a keyboard everywhere. So soon pocketword, with voice dictation? I would love to see it, but i imagine more speed and space is needed before those kind of voice capabilities are reached. Anyways it is nice to see the industry moving towards this.

Pony99CA
05-01-2003, 09:02 PM
This is good timing. I just wrote a rant on my Web site (http://www.svpocketpc.com#THOUGHT_ONE_PIECE_TWO_PIECE) about the one-piece/two-piece debate. I want both. :-)

Steve

whydidnt
05-01-2003, 09:16 PM
So does this mean people want convergance but aren't willing to pay for it until it is all implemented well.

I agree. :D I personally think people want convergance, but we have yet to see the type of convergance most people want. People (myself) included want all the PPC functionality with a phone in a product the size of a small cell phone.

I have a T-Mobile XDA, but it's rare that I actually use it as a phone anymore. It's just too big for me to carry around everywhere. If I could have the same functions (plus built in bluetooth) in a device the size of the IPAQ 1910 I wouldn't see the need to use the second phone.

It's a shame that nobody seems to want to deliver this convergence in the PPC camp. There are actually a couple of fairly small form-factor Palm phones due out...but even those are using 4.x of the Palm OS and the old dragonball processors. Nobody has yet delivered, or even announced a cell phone sized PPC/Palm solution using the latest OS and processor speed. That in my estimation is the "killer app" everyone is waiting for.

eustts
05-01-2003, 09:19 PM
DUH! the killer application. The killer application has been the one key item that have cellular/wireless providers must have. I have been the telecom business(GSM) since 1994, and we are still talking about the killer application for cell phones/pda's/smart phones/what ever you want to call the device.

Timothy Rapson
05-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Who said people don't want converged devices?

I sure do. I wan't a PPC with camera. If it comes with a phone and the cell company will give it to me if I sign a contract, so much the better. The music player function of an I-Pod (adding a 10 gig or larger HD to a PDA) would also make it a better device, if the price was right.

I am not sure the PDA feature set is done with the current models. It sometimes seems that a model like the Axim, or the Ipaq 5450 has all one really expects of a PDA, but then there are these other devices, even totally new ones like the I-Pod that dump the apple cart out and make everyone go back to the drawing boards.

That is what makes PDAs still so interesting while Desktops are so boring.

ombu
05-01-2003, 09:39 PM
As soon as a clear consumer trend shows, Steve Jobs will be there with something, my $0.02. :D

Cypher
05-01-2003, 09:48 PM
I was going to say that I don't want a converged device and, in fact, I want nothing like the converged devices I've seen. The screen makes a PDA too big to be a phone (or a phone screen too small to be a PDA). The built-in cameras are just getting above the 2 MegaPixel range. And, of course, it's less expensive for me to replace my old camera than a whole PDA with a built-in camera.

So I was thinking that I, at least, prefer my devices to be separate but, at the very least, able to read each other's cards for easy transfer.

Then I thought, what about a device that has a number of "drone" add-ons. These drones wouldn't have to have all the functionality of their stand-alone counterparts but, rather, would draw upon the intelligence built into the Pocket PC and, of course, they'd connect via BlueTooth. So a camera module would have the CCD and the buttons, but it wouldn't need storage or intelligence in itself. It just takes a picture and saves it to the Pocket PC. A cell-phone module would have all the basic buttons, and the cellular radio, but it would draw contacts from your PPC and be able to "wake up" the PPC when you want to do something more than just send/receive a call. That kind of pseudo-convergence is more what I want.

sub_tex
05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't mind a cell phone/PDA device that was more PDA than phone if only they wouldn't kill the CF slot.

I'm big on phone buttons (for dialing blind), but I'd trade that off for having a net connection (though at slower speeds) wherever there's a cell phone signal.

But once I get near a park or any other wifi spots, I want to be able to chuck in a cf wifi card and browse at normal speeds.

Also, how long is it gonna take for a pushed email system to be integrated? Anything to allow me to ditch my motorola t900.

dMores
05-01-2003, 10:50 PM
i'm currently in the 2-unit-camp but the converged devices have always caught my attention. nokia communicator, mda/xda, sonyericsson p800, but they never really overwhelmed me.

i then decided to get a loox + t68i. then i got a headset, and i knew what the world needs: bluetooth headsets.

i would love to get rid of the t68i and just carry my loox around with a headset, but that's not possible, unfortunately.

then i found a new ppc phone edition device here:
http://akiba.sorobangeeks.com/news/200403/1.jpg
which seemed perfect (small, powerful, pretty) but it didn't support BLUETOOTH.

what i need is a small pocket pc phone edition and a headset. nothing more. leave the device in my pocket/business case and just pull out my headset when needed.

i nearly slipped into the symbian camp due to the p800, but i think i'm recovering now.

whydidnt
05-01-2003, 11:40 PM
[quote="Cypher"]The screen makes a PDA too big to be a phone (or a phone screen too small to be a PDA). quote]

But there's nothing that says the screen "HAS" to be as big as we see on current PDAs. Witness Palm's micro sized 320 x 320 screen on the Tungsten T or Sony's on the TG-50. Shave 80 pixels off the sides and whala... small screen to go on my small device. :wink:

I think the biggest down-side to the current PPC Phone Edition's isn't the length or weight. Its' the width. It's too dang wide to comfortably hang from my waist, or even hold in my hand for long periods of time.

Cypher
05-01-2003, 11:48 PM
But there's nothing that says the screen "HAS" to be as big as we see on current PDAs.

Yes there is. In fact, many PPC users want more resolution. (And, unless you have eyes like mine, that means a 3.5-4 inch display.)

Actually, there is a solution if you use one of those eyepieces that projects the screen directly in front of your eye, but, it does have a certain borg-ness to it.

mmace
05-02-2003, 12:02 AM
"Voice is the "killer application" for handset devices right now...said Alex Slawsby, an analyst with IDC.....

Waitaminute...I thought that consumers didn't want converged devices?

This has nothing to do with Palm OS vs. PPC, but it's such a fundamental issue for all of us that I couldn't resist chiming in. Here's my perspective:

Every. Person. Has. A. Different. Killer. Application.

There is no ultimate device that's right for everyone (just read the comments in this thread). Trying to pick the ultimate device is like trying to pick the ultimate motor vehicle. Do you need a sports care or a minivan or a tractor-trailer? It depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Mike
CCO, PalmSource

Chris Spera
05-02-2003, 12:03 AM
I'd love to have a PDA phone. I said 2 years ago that my next phone would be a PDA phone; but got a Motorola V60c instead. Big mistake in that regard.

My next phone will probably be something that will allow me to connect my PDA. I am more interested in convergence than passing data over the phone. My biggest want and need is to be able to dial my phone from my Outlook Contacts folder that's synched on my PDA. I don't really want to surf the Net, tho now with my 5455, I can...

I'd use my 5455 as an IP phone in the office if we were running the correct software on our phone system. The phone is actually built for that (the software CD comes with IP Phone software, BTW); but we don't have the right switches or the right software running...

I'm not very happy iwht PPCPE; but would entertain a switch to it...IFF (if and only if) I could update my 5455 to it (I know that's a pipe dream and not likely to happen). I've got 4 PDA's right now, and honestly am getting a BORG reputation in the office.

If I buy a convergence device, the whole assimulation thing is going to be validated!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

PhatCohiba
05-02-2003, 12:41 AM
I've got this sophisticated phone, which can do the following:

-contacts
-calendar / alarms
-web browsing (albet wap 2.0)
-games
-color screen
etc.
(sanyo 4900)

I only use it to make calls, store phone number contacts, occasional painful web browsing (mostly to this site.)

What I want is my not more phone features, but connections between this phone and my other devices. I'd trade 2/3 of my phones features for bluetooth connectivity to my pda and a tablet PC (which I don't currently own.) There is no phone or pda which can compete with a Tablet PC, outside of size. if they make a 2/3 size tablet, i'd trade my pocket pc in for it in a heartbeat.

Real Outlook, Real IE, Real 3d Games, Divx at high quality. Builtin WiFI. I'd think my IPAQ would get dusty.

-john

Will T Smith
05-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Don't forget that many convergence devices are financed through cellular service contracts (costs are hidden). Thats a stark contrast to the PDA only arena where the cost is straight upfront.

I believe that the cellular market also brings in a lot of "non-geeks" to the PDA movement. That is, they represent a growth of the overall market.

Convergence is an absoluetly necessary trend. I too believe in bluetooth and the PDA as a planet that supports one or more "orbiting devices" including cell-phones, headsets, head mounted displays, cameras, watches, smart-cards, GPS navigation, Smart-Cards (for payment services), tablet PCs, etc...

The fact that some people opt for "all-in-one" is reasonable. I don't think this is a trend against the bluetooth based "constellation". I think this is entry level and the first accessory that these people will want is a wireless headset so the don't have to lug the full-sized device to their face.

This model would be especially appropriate when speaking to a colleague and you NEED information on the device. Holding it to your ear is not conducive towards accessing or recording information. Heck, the REAL killer app may be PDA-PDA calls that behave like a Messanger style teleconference where files could be sent across the CDMA network to the other device. Could be pictures, word or excel files, contacts, OR CONTRACTS.

My take is that the PDA is going to mature much quicker than the cellular side. As PDA's get pumped up, it will be more cost effective for them to access cellular services via a Bluetooth based comm node. It could be worn on your belt or stowed in a purse. It would probably integrate GPS functionality for location awareness and have it's OWN battery so doing lots of PDA work doesn't drain your ability to communicate.

As convergence user's get hooked to the PDA side of their device, they will realize the value of the PDA. This could result in a buying a traditional PDA for their NEXT device and bonding it to their bluetooth enabled cell-phone.

Seriously, PDA hasn't even scratched the surface of their potential customer base. As I walk around people see it and recognize it as a bit of an oddity. In truth, everyone could really use one. It's just like the 80s when people looked at the desktop computer and puzzled at it's use or value. In tuned and that connectivity (via internet) turned out to be the "killer app" for computers that launched EVERYBODY into the movement.

05-02-2003, 01:03 AM
I have been researching this alot lately, and I've come to one overriding conclusion. No-one who actually makes these devices actualy uses them. I have sprint PCS, which for those of you who don't know is a CDMA network. Most of you use GSM, so I listen with Gilded ears to the inevitable sighs that just occured. (Thankyou for you pity). the problem with sprint, or CDMA in general is that there currently exists no phones that have bluetooth. None. I agree wholeheartedly with a Dmores about this feature. The size of a phone quickly become irrelevant if you use Bluetooth. you can keep you phone/PDA in your pocket, and since you are already holding your ipaq, or whatever you use, then you are set. the problem is that the two freakin phones that we are impatiently waiting to buy (namely the samsung, and the hitachi) neither one of them have bluetooth. you will have to sacrifice your sd slot for a bluetooth solution (anouther $179 for a toshiba sd bluetooth card). Crap!!!! Would it really kill someone to create the perfect phone? I think not. Sorry for the rant. Peace out....

whydidnt
05-02-2003, 02:32 AM
the problem with sprint, or CDMA in general is that there currently exists no phones that have bluetooth. None. I agree wholeheartedly with a Dmores about this feature. The size of a phone quickly become irrelevant if you use Bluetooth. you can keep you phone/PDA in your pocket, and since you are already holding your ipaq, or whatever you use, then you are set. Would it really kill someone to create the perfect phone? I think not. Sorry for the rant. Peace out....

I think Sony Ericsson will be releasing a CDMA phone with Bluetooth within the next 30-60 days (rumor has it). But it isn't a PDA/phone. (Once again proving your point) The lack of Bluetooth--and no true PPCPE caused Sprint to lose me as a customer and has kept me from becoming a Verizon customer. Too bad, because they arguably provide better coverage in the areas I travel to, and I would love to take advantage of the faster internet speeds.

whydidnt
05-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Every. Person. Has. A. Different. Killer. Application.

I have to disagree with this statement, and I think it states volumes on why tech companies such as Palm and MS haven't completely delivered what their customers want.

There is certainly a difference of opinion on what is most important. However the actual number of features that any in this or most groups could define as killer is probably less than 10! Read through these message you see a large number of individuals want convergence, be it delivered in a modular wireless arena, or in an all-in-one device. Believe it or not the P800 actually comes very close to being this device on both counts, if not for the Symbian OS, I may not be here reading this right now.

If either Palm or MS could duplicate the features and size of the P800 I think they would quiet many of us "experts" who claim there is no "perfect" device.

kaiden.1
05-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Have we forgotten the reason that MS is working on 2 devices? Because people want 2 devices and the market exists for 2 devices! Business people produce for profit and they produce what the market will bear!

First of all; the CELL PHONE is something that will always sell in huge quantities, Everybody will eventually have a phone period. And not everyone will want or have a PDA period. That is why MS will spend a lot of it's money and development on the smart phone and slack off on the PDA.

I believe that the general public will sway to the smart phone. First of all it allows them to talk, something that none of us can do without, second of all, if you add the contacts list, the mini scheduler and internet connection, you now have what the majority of the public need and understand how to use. It keeps them organized and keeps them connected this includes e-mail. Then add a few cheap games and an MP3 player, and believe it or not guys but you will have it all right there as far as the main stream public is concerned. Because the main stream public doesn't care if they can tweek the registry or take orders for some product on a big display screen. Thats the commercial side.

Do we still not get the picture of why the manufacturers are really developing PDA mainly for commercial enterprise and not the consumer? Basically the Smart Phone is MS PDA for Joe Public? And the reason that the Big screen PDA is not really going main stream consumer is because the majority of them really don't want a big screen PDA of any kind! They want a smart phone. That is why MS is moving more $ into that arena. It sells better and will always sell better. There are more Joe public out there then us PDA GEEKS in here. Let's face it; take a walk down the streets of NYC or any other huge town for that matter and take a look around? How many of all those people have the technical skill to need or even use a PDA to do anything? But they will have a CELL PHONE with some cool extras (smart phone).

Now where the commercial enterprise arena exists; we need to carry a mobile device that will keep us connected to do our jobs and our lifestyle. We have two very different demographics here! Does anyone here see and understand the marketing values of what I've just said? We have a hard time seeing it because we can't imagine not having a PDA because of our jobs and or lifestyle. But guess what? Most Americans don't have our jobs nor our kind of lifestyle.

Look at it! In fact we are a very small minority group! 8O

In fact it is so easy to see why MS is not putting any more big resources into the PDA developement. It's not where the future is..... I only hope that the PDA won't become extinct, because trends and sizes and habits and proceedures could change the way we do things in the future? If you really look at the full picture from the outside looking in instead of from the inside looking out, you would see and understand what I am saying. It is all about business and marketing and getting the right profit producing item to the right demographic. MS is not producing PDA software so a bunch of us PDA groupies can feel all neat and important? :!:

Are we all to GEEKY here that we do not see the Marketing push of what is happening? If you will analyze it you will see what I am saying and see that it is happening in just that way too! 8O

It is PDA for commercial and smart phone (the PDA for the simple public) for Joe Public! That is what they are doing and that is what we will end up seeing. :!:

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 05:36 AM
To tell you the truth I believe we're being bamboozled by hp. Yeah, they say they aren't coming out with a converged device but when they love selling their product to mobile professionals whay not? I think hp is really trying to keep the new editions of the iPaq under wraps and when it hits the market we'll all be in awe :twisted:

stjohn1335
05-02-2003, 05:37 AM
Does anybody else besides me think the Samsung SGH-i700 will be the perfect solution (provided it has SDIO)? It has the perfect balance of converged and separate.

I think the one 'peripheral' that needs to be built in is the phone. My understanding of CF phones and b-tooth phones is that they cannot guarantee seamless functionality the way a built-in phone does. Most CF phones require a headset, are too cumbersome and bulky to use as a permanent solution. They don't integrate well in terms of automatically turning on the screen, vibrate mode, etc. And what good is a CF phone when not plugged into a PDA? It might as well be integrated.

Regarding the b-tooth phone, who wants to carry their phone around without their PPC? I thought the whole point of a handheld was that it is with you everywhere, for those unexpected thoughts, things to do, phone numbers you just picked up, etc. It seems every time I go out without my PDA, I end up regretting it and writing something on the back of my hand. Let's say you want to do a last minute check on movie tickets, or you forgot how to get to your restaurant. Do you really want to search for those on a small screen?

With the Samsung, the speaker is on the back of the phone, so you don't grease up the screen. Plus Sprint has the best data speeds on the market, making the phone just as useful for data needs.

It would be nice to have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but combined with the phone might be too bulky and power draining, at least with today's technology. Using a SD card allows the user to choose when they are needed.

Regarding GPS, the Socketcom and Navman Bluetooth GPS devices are much more accurate and reliable than the CF counterparts, and the devices can be placed for both optimal reception and optimal screen viewing. For this reason I think GPS should always be a separate device (on your dashboard/window in the car, on your arm when hiking/walking with the Navman armband attachment).

Lastly, there is little compromise with the Samsung PDA functions. Granted, it has not been released yet, so no one knows how good the screen is, etc., but it is 64k, whereas the XDA is 4096 colors. The memory and processor are on a par with todays fairly high end devices. And it is as slim as the XDA!

I'd like you hear your thoughts on this, because this is what I've been holding out for since Christmas!

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 05:53 AM
the problem with sprint, or CDMA in general is that there currently exists no phones that have bluetooth. None. I agree wholeheartedly with a Dmores about this feature. The size of a phone quickly become irrelevant if you use Bluetooth. you can keep you phone/PDA in your pocket, and since you are already holding your ipaq, or whatever you use, then you are set. Would it really kill someone to create the perfect phone? I think not. Sorry for the rant. Peace out....

I think Sony Ericsson will be releasing a CDMA phone with Bluetooth within the next 30-60 days (rumor has it). But it isn't a PDA/phone. (Once again proving your point) The lack of Bluetooth--and no true PPCPE caused Sprint to lose me as a customer and has kept me from becoming a Verizon customer. Too bad, because they arguably provide better coverage in the areas I travel to, and I would love to take advantage of the faster internet speeds.

You're right, Sprint will be introducing its first cellular phone with intergrated BT. But what I want to know id will they make any restrictions for those who purchase the phone or will the BT not support PDAs. I sure hope that sprint in no way restricts the use of this new phone. I will drop AT&T at the drop of a hat to get the faster service and unlimited data :lol:

jimski
05-02-2003, 07:15 AM
It is PDA for commercial and smart phone (the PDA for the simple public) for Joe Public! That is what they are doing and that is what we will end up seeing. :!:

I don't think so. Joe Public wants a Free phone not a Smart phone. Do you think Joe Public cares about syncing addresses and calendar information with a desktop PC or browsing web.

The vast majority (75%) of cell phone users have $29.99 per month plans with one jillion night and weekend minutes. They don't even want to pay $1.00 for a cell phone, never mind $399.99 for a Smart Phone (that price is assuming they are mass produced-otherwise $599.99).

The rest of the cell phone population is made up of hard core business people (15%) and geeks like some of us (10%). The business people want a very small phone with very big batteries so they can talk all day and recharge their battery on nights and weekends. That leaves a percentage of the geeks who want a Smartphone or converged device or prefer the two device route.

I buy new devices without even thinking about it, but if Smartphones and PPCPE's were the last PDS's on the planet, I would say "Hasta La Vista Baby" and go out to buy a new Franklin Planner.

SiliconAddict
05-02-2003, 07:28 AM
what i need is a small pocket pc phone edition and a headset. nothing more. leave the device in my pocket/business case and just pull out my headset when needed.

Amen! I already own a XDA but I wholeheartedly agree. A PPCPE with Bluetooth for the headset, and not to forget a 2 Megapixel camera for MMS of course, that's what I need.

Oh, and now that you've got me going, it also should have 128MB RAM, a fast CPU, CF + SDIO slot and at least 24 hours of battery life (constant use), WiFi and 3G.

Did I forget anything?

nosmohtac
05-02-2003, 07:30 AM
the problem with sprint, or CDMA in general is that there currently exists no phones that have bluetooth. None.

It's not the best phone by a long shot, and may be difficult to find on the market now, but verizon and cellular one were both selling motorola Timeport 270c's last year, and they are bluetooth ready. They are bigger than the v60, but they have a very nice two way speaker phone. All you have to do to make it blue tooth is buy the bluetooth module for around $100 and it basically replaces the original battery cover.

nosmohtac
05-02-2003, 07:31 AM
[quote=dMores]
Oh, and now that you've got me going, it also should have 128MB RAM, a fast CPU, CF + SDIO slot and at least 24 hours of battery life (constant use), WiFi and 3G.

Did I forget anything?

I second that emotion :lol:

thomas1973
05-02-2003, 08:20 AM
[quote=dMores]

Did I forget anything?
I think you got most of it! Add a buildt in camera and a 20-30 GB harddisk (like the iPods), and we're getting there! When all this comes in a package the size - and design - of the Ipaq 1910, I think a lot of people will want one - if they can afford it :lol:

But I think battery life is on of the major issues for the PDA marked if it wants to get in on the cell phone thing. My cell phone stays on constantly for several days, even when I make a lot of phone calls. My PDA is turned off most of the time, but starts screaming low battery after a couple of hours of calendar/reading/word processing work.

But all this would still not kill off my cell phone, it would kill off my laptop!

And about the bluetooth headset, it's a bit like being back to the two device thing. As long as there's bluetooth, and the devices can talk together and sync, I think I'd go for a simple, small and light cell phone over a blutooth headset. I just need the phone to sync phone numbers and call times and SMS's with my PDA. I still want my PDA connected (WiFi), like my laptop is, but I don't need to talk through it... This might change with 3G and video conferencing and so on, but for now, in my opinion, the PDA is more the convergence of the old filofax and the laptop.

Thomas.

nosmohtac
05-02-2003, 08:32 AM
But all this would still not kill off my cell phone, it would kill off my laptop!

Thomas.

I believe that this is why the it world is slow to bring a truly useful convergenge device to market. The profit on pda's is quite small (not counting accessories) compared to laptops. With the way the consumer is leaning toward wanting to carry one small all-in-one device the market will have to cave in sooner or later, but as long as we are buying laptops and other large devices (because we need them and there is not yet an alternative) the companies making these devices will be slow to change.

The tablet pc shows great potential, especially one at maybe 2/3 to 1/2 the size they are now. But, until they load the OS + all the useful apps in a very large flash rom chip, it can't compete with a pda with the convenience of instant on.

stjohn1335
05-02-2003, 10:19 AM
And about the bluetooth headset, it's a bit like being back to the two device thing. As long as there's bluetooth, and the devices can talk together and sync, I think I'd go for a simple, small and light cell phone over a blutooth headset. I just need the phone to sync phone numbers and call times and SMS's with my PDA. I still want my PDA connected (WiFi), like my laptop is, but I don't need to talk through it...

Yes, but when you need hands-free cellphone access, then you've got 3 devices!

onepieceman
05-02-2003, 10:36 AM
I think it's clear that it is hard to make a device that does everything and doesn't compromise on anything.
A lot of people focus on size and weight, and rightly so. There is a limit to what people will be prepared to carry around. Some (like myself) are prepared to carry around something that is somewhat bigger than the average to get the benefits, but that's obviously a personal decision.

As I see it, the proposition that Bluetooth offers is that you can solve this problem by "mix and match". Before you leave the house, you decide whether you want the phone, the PDA, the headset, or some combination of them, but is this easier? First, it's one more decision to make in the morning, but more importantly, you now have the responsibility of managing not one battery but three (or however many). I often find my other gadgets are not usable at the moment I need them because the batteries have discharged while I wasn' t using them.

I used to sync my PDA with my laptop using IrDA, but I don't anymore. I use a cable. Why? Well, partly because it is a lot faster, but also because I get to charge my PDA from the laptop at the same time. Bluetooth only solves half the cable problem; cables carry data, but they also carry power! Some initiative to enable devices to share power between themselves might go some way to solving the mix and match power problem.

thomas1973
05-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Before you leave the house, you decide whether you want the phone, the PDA, the headset, or some combination of them, but is this easier? First, it's one more decision to make in the morning, but more importantly, you now have the responsibility of managing not one battery but three (or however many). I often find my other gadgets are not usable at the moment I need them because the batteries have discharged while I wasn' t using them.

I used to sync my PDA with my laptop using IrDA, but I don't anymore. I use a cable. Why? Well, partly because it is a lot faster, but also because I get to charge my PDA from the laptop at the same time. Bluetooth only solves half the cable problem; cables carry data, but they also carry power! Some initiative to enable devices to share power between themselves might go some way to solving the mix and match power problem.
This will all be better when this one (http://www.splashpower.com/) comes along :D !

Thomas.

adamz
05-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Also, how long is it gonna take for a pushed email system to be integrated? Anything to allow me to ditch my motorola t900.

I don't think I'd want pushed email for the spam and forwards. But T-Mobile does have a cool email alerts feature on T-Zones where you can recieve pushed SMS messages when certain email messages (that fit your predefined criteria) are recieved. You can then switch over to Inbox and download the email to read/respond to it.

Have we forgotten the reason that MS is working on 2 devices? Because people want 2 devices and the market exists for 2 devices!

Or maybe some people want one device and some want the other.

I still consider my iPAQ 3970 with GSM/GPRS Expansion pack to be the most powerful PDA. The only thing missing is WiFi, GPS, and a bluetooth headset profile. But when I'm indoors I can go online via bluetooth connected to the network. When I'm outdoors, I can connect via GPRS or GSM-CSD. I can make/recieve phone calls, share text messages. It's got a ton of RAM, great screen, etc.
I've also got an Ericsson R520m bluetooth cell phone which I can use with the naked iPAQ 3970 as a two piece device. I don't usually, however since it's much more of a hassle to work with two devices dispite the bluetooth connectivity. Running Voice GSM is cool for doing the Bluetooth SMSing and dialing from Outlook.. but then you have to go find the phone in order to talk to some one. Plus, I don't want to carry all that. I'd rather carry a single slightly larger converged device on my belt, than two or three smaller devices.

The Samsung SGH i700 would've been nice if it had bluetooth. Yes, you can use a Bluetooth SDIO card, but it won't have support for bluetooth headsets without some one developing drivers specific to the hardware in the i700, and that's not likely to happen.

onepieceman
05-02-2003, 03:03 PM
[This will all be better when this one (http://www.splashpower.com/) comes along :D !

Thomas.

Thanks for the link. It's interesting, but unless I'm misunderstanding, these guys are solving the wrong problem.
Their little gadget means that instead of plugging 3 gadgets into 3 power adapters, I can just place my gadgets on a slate, and I save myself the hassle of plugging three things in, and also of having 3 chargers on my desk. That's quite useful, but it's just a way to reduce desk clutter and not much else.
It doesn't solve the problem of when you have plenty of power in your phone, but your PDA runs out of juice when you're on the road, or vice versa. Now that can be a real problem, as opposed to the minor inconvenience of a cluttered desk.

kaiden.1
05-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Jimski wrote

"I don't think so. Joe Public wants a Free phone not a Smart phone. Do you think Joe Public cares about syncing addresses and calendar information with a desktop PC or browsing web. "

I disagree. The plain jane cell phone as we see and know it today will modify into smart phone. Over time, we will slowly see the plain phone dissappear. And because of volume, the price for a cheap phone will mean that the plain jane smart phone will be the same price as the plain jane cell phones that we see today. Secondly; you dont need to sync with your computer to own a smart phone. You can download everything you need right of the cell phone line: games, software, contact data bases etc. We will see many new online forms of storage. Syncing to your laptop isn't a must anymore.

We are not looking at the future but the here and now still........ Where is your vision? All the new phones are coming with all the little extras added in them. They are "smart Phones" if you will. Look at the concept, it is and will occcur! :!:

thomas1973
05-02-2003, 04:28 PM
[This will all be better when this one (http://www.splashpower.com/) comes along :D !

Thomas.

Thanks for the link. It's interesting, but unless I'm misunderstanding, these guys are solving the wrong problem.
Their little gadget means that instead of plugging 3 gadgets into 3 power adapters, I can just place my gadgets on a slate, and I save myself the hassle of plugging three things in, and also of having 3 chargers on my desk. That's quite useful, but it's just a way to reduce desk clutter and not much else.
It doesn't solve the problem of when you have plenty of power in your phone, but your PDA runs out of juice when you're on the road, or vice versa. Now that can be a real problem, as opposed to the minor inconvenience of a cluttered desk.
If you'd seen my desk, you'd know I need all the help I can get :lol: .

But, seriously, I see your point. I can usually fit my gadgets in my bag, together with all the other stuff I need for traveling, but bringing along a charger for each device is a real pain. I wish the devicemakers could agree on some sort standard for their chargers. Some sort of universal charger with an output regulator would be nice :D - but probably not very likely...

But I still think that greatly improved battery life would help on this issue as well. If I could be certain my PPC would make it through an entire weekend, with battery to spare, on one full charge, even if I used it a lot, I wouldn't need a charger for a many of my trips.

Thomas.

PhatCohiba
05-02-2003, 04:57 PM
The more I think about it, I want the following.

JOHN'S NEW KILLER DEVICE:

WIFI ACCESSPOINT / CELLPHONE.

Even with sprint i'd get 70-120k, use any wifi device (pda, laptop, tablet, etc). When in a Starbucks, home, airport, etc. Switch to a higher speed network.

F#$% Bluetooth, who needs it then.