View Full Version : blah symbol card!

delfuhd
05-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Ok, So I'm in my room with my Symbol WLAN cf card, and I was havin a good time surfin the net, and I got up an in the process turned my ppc off. I turned it on, and sure enough the AIM session I had was lost, and I got the message saying the connection was lost, no biggie, and when I turned the iPAQ back on the drivers didn't run, so oh well. So I turned off the ipaq, took out the card, turned the ipaq back on, and inserted the card. I got that message "Unknown card in socket, please specify name" thing or whatever. I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled, did soft resets, and did a hard reset and restored my data w/o the drivers installed, re-installed them, and after an agonizing day still no go! Ack, help needed! I stil get that message, even though the drivers are installed, please help me! In the meantime I'm stuck with my socket card...

Pony99CA
05-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Ok, So I'm in my room with my Symbol WLAN cf card, and I was havin a good time surfin the net, and I got up an in the process turned my ppc off. I turned it on, and sure enough the AIM session I had was lost, and I got the message saying the connection was lost, no biggie, and when I turned the iPAQ back on the drivers didn't run, so oh well. So I turned off the ipaq, took out the card, turned the ipaq back on, and inserted the card. I got that message "Unknown card in socket, please specify name" thing or whatever. I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled, did soft resets, and did a hard reset and restored my data w/o the drivers installed, re-installed them, and after an agonizing day still no go! Ack, help needed! I stil get that message, even though the drivers are installed, please help me! In the meantime I'm stuck with my socket card...
Are you sure the card is still working? I often have problems reestablishing a WiFi connection after removing my WiFi card (the drivers seem to disappear), but a soft reset has always fixed that.

If even a hard reset didn't work, I'd think your Symbol card went bad. Have you tried it on another PC (like a laptop)?

Steve

P.S. What's so bad about the Socket card?

WyattEarp
05-01-2003, 09:57 PM

I had that problem with both the Netgear and Socket cards. But with Socket's new software it's not an issue with their card. Don't feel bad about being stuck with the Socket card; it is essentially the same as Symbol's card. Both very good. Anyway I don't think there is much you can do. I think it's some type of bug in the software, but try it elsewhere if you can and download the latests drivers.

delfuhd
05-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking on the Socket Card, it is a really really good card as well, it just seems like the Symbol has a couple more options in the setup utility I guess.. But I've downloaded the new drivers, done everything in every order. I'm pretty sure the card just went bad... I've got a Socket and a Linksys as well anyway so I'm not totally at a loss, but I love the symbol card... I;ll check and see..

Janak Parekh
05-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Give 'em a call. I've heard their support is pretty good. Sounds like a fluke: I've never had a problem with mine.

--janak

WyattEarp
05-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking on the Socket Card, it is a really really good card as well, it just seems like the Symbol has a couple more options in the setup utility I guess.. But I've downloaded the new drivers, done everything in every order. I'm pretty sure the card just went bad... I've got a Socket and a Linksys as well anyway so I'm not totally at a loss, but I love the symbol card... I;ll check and see..

I hear ya, I've heard the Symbol Utility program is really nice. I haven't tried it myself but I will now. If you still want to use the Symbol software it can work with the Socket card. Like I said they are basically the same. Edit the NetWLan5.inf file by replacing the Symbol-Spectrum24_LA4100_Series_WLAN_PC_Card_e063 with Socket-CF+_LP_WLAN_Card_Rev_A-09DF this will make the Socket card recognized by the Symbol's software.
Like Janek said check tech support.

Fzara
05-03-2003, 05:01 PM

Whoa. Talk about eye blindness.

CCollins
06-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Do you have the Socket Card drivers installed while you are trying to install the Symbol software? I've found I have to completly remove the Socket drivers first, then there is no problem. Hope this helps!

- Casey