View Full Version : 50 Ways to Leave Your Wires

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 06:51 PM
I got a PM the other day from somebody that wanted to know how I use BlueTooth with my iPaq. I thought it was a really good question because after 2 uses I ran out of things I do with it (Connect to T68i while OoO for email and sync my phone with my PC every once in a while). So, I got to thinking. What else would I like to do with my iPaq via BlueTooth.

Intersted in seeing if we can get a list of at least 50 things you'd like to do by BT. If it's available now that's fine or if it's something that you'd like to see, let's hear it.

One caveat, as the thread creator, I'm going to ask that the "BT sucks, WiFi rules" posts be taken elsewhere. I'm really interested in seeing a good list of BT dreams assembled here.

I'll start:

1-BT connection to my stereo speakers (Take that iPod!)
2-BT check in at the airport (We don't need your stinking kiosks!)
3-BT dialer for my desktop phone. (I can do it with my mobile but not at my desk?)
4-BT monitor connection (How come the projectors can do it?)
5-BT whiteboarding in a collaborative environment ala the dry erase board that saves the image for emailing/printing etc.).
6-...?

disconnected
05-01-2003, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Fortuna Bluetooth GPSmart. I've never used GPS and also never used the Bluetooth on my iPAQ 3975, so I foresee many hours of frustration ahead.

trachy
05-01-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't have a BT enabled device, but if I did I would want:

- connection to headphones (not just speakers, as you mentioned)
- connection to a keyboard
- head-to-head gaming
- wallet features (i.e.; vending machines, parking meters, person-to-person, etc)

Just a start - Drew

ironguy
05-01-2003, 08:30 PM
How 'bout...

bluetooth stereo headphones
connect to MS Office bluetooth keyboard and mouse
connect to GPS (see the new DelOrme tiny GPS receiver with Bluetooth)
internal restaurant ordering
item finder in stores (enter the item, gives back location)
printing
Disneyland ride line length
retrieve messages from an answering machine
control home lighting

Jacob
05-02-2003, 05:06 AM
I don't have a BlueTooth capable PPC either, but I HATE getting lost. I would love to have a GPS in my glove compartment and always know where I am!!

I'd also like to be able to sync between my phone and my PPC, but I'd then have to get a bluetooth phone too.

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 06:06 AM

8O Which airport can you do that at? JFK, LGA... :?:

yschang
05-02-2003, 08:16 AM

I don't think it is a good idea unless you don't have any luggage to check-in! :lol:
Otherwise, somebody need to make BT suitcases 8O so it can tell the computer where it's going.
How about those luggage handler then? will they have a BT scanner to link with the luggage? :wink:
Hmm.... interesting....

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 08:21 AM

I don't think it is a good idea unless you don't have any luggage to check-in! :lol:
Otherwise, somebody need to make BT suitcases 8O so it can tell the computer where it's going.
How about those luggage handler then? will they have a BT scanner to link with the luggage? :wink:
Hmm.... interesting....

Actually Samsonite makes a bluetooth enabled piece of luggage :D

yschang
05-02-2003, 09:25 AM

Hmm.... interesting....

I'm speechless... 8O

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 10:00 AM

Hmm.... interesting....

I'm speechless... 8O

So I guess your doublly speechless :mrgreen:

yschang
05-02-2003, 11:26 AM
sorry... double clicked...
But nevertheless... doubly speechless indeed...
How can I delete it?

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 11:42 AM
sorry... double clicked...
But nevertheless... doubly speechless indeed...
How can I delete it?

If you look at you postings there is an "X" like the close icon for a web site. this will take you through the deletion process 8)

SassKwatch
05-02-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Fortuna Bluetooth GPSmart. I've never used GPS and also never used the Bluetooth on my iPAQ 3975, so I foresee many hours of frustration ahead.
Maybe not that much frustration.

I had the same fear when I picked up the Emtac BT GPSr to partner w/ the 5450, and it was (to me) surprisingly easy to set up. Works VERY well.

Sven Johannsen
05-02-2003, 03:16 PM
With the right BT hardware, (and software/profiles) you can already do peer-to-peer chat.

bdegroodt
05-02-2003, 03:28 PM

None that I know of yet, but you do have the kiosk option and the only thing that a kiosk does that a BT PDA wouldn't do is make you wait in a line to get to use it.

dcharles18
05-02-2003, 04:06 PM
BT Stowaway Keyboard

BT Earbuds

BT Paying (Similar to Mobile/Exxon's Speedpass)

Janak Parekh
05-02-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm speechless... 8O
FYI, we posted on it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8685). :D

--janak

bdegroodt
05-04-2003, 12:10 AM
BT Stowaway Keyboard

BT Earbuds

BT Paying (Similar to Mobile/Exxon's Speedpass)

I like the keyboard idea for sure. Even a thumb board might be interesting. Also the payment device is a real good idea. I lost my Speedpass in a move and didn't even remember because it wasn't put to use once I got to NY. Having a universal payment device (PPC) via BT would be cool. Maybe you wouldn't even have to weight in the checkout line :idea:

trachy
05-05-2003, 04:07 PM
What a disappointing thread. Does anyone have a box we can think outside of? I thought for sure this topic would go on and on... Nice try, bdegroodt.