View Full Version : DVD to PPC?

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 05:21 PM
OK. I've resisted for years now, but I have a movie that I'm particularly in love with and would like to move from my DVD to my PPC. How do I do this?

dh
05-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I use the guide at http://www.pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx It works perfectly all the time.

It's not quite upto date. Ignore the last part about not using the Ver 5.x version of the DivX Codec. With the new version of PocketMVP, Ver 5.x works fine.

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Good grief! That's a laundry list of steps. What about the files size in the end. How much space does say an hour's worth of video chew up? Understanding quality in image or sound will vary this number.

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm getting some software sent to me that does this in more of a "one step" fashion - I'll be writing a review about it....

dh
05-01-2003, 05:37 PM
If you use the settings suggested in the guide, a full screen movie tends to be between 160 and 190MB.

Yes, there are a lot of steps. Once you've done it a few times it's pretty simple. I still have the guide open in a window while I work throuhg the steps, just to make sure I don't miss anything.

You might find someone else has a system with fewer steps. If there is, I'll try that as well.

I'm getting some software sent to me that does this in more of a "one step" fashion - I'll be writing a review about it....

Jason, is that going to be freeware or comercial software? Someone started a thread about a comercial package to do this a few weeks ago.

Of course they are not supposed to sell it in the US.

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 05:37 PM

I'll be interested in seeing that review Jason. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a positive experience.

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Jason, is that going to be freeware or comercial software? Someone started a thread about a comercial package to do this a few weeks ago.

It's the BVRP DVD tool (http://shop.bvrp.com/english/asp/default.asp?UserPrefLanguage=1&UserPrefCountry=3&UserPrefCurrency=5&UserPrefCurrentCompany=1&UserPrefUseVicom=1&id_product=90). I should be getting it this week or next.

dh
05-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Here's the thread where we discussed this software.

Here is the thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11285&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

If you like it, I might well invest in it, although as I mentioned using SmartRipper, VDub etc is not too bad once you have gone through it a few times.

bdegroodt
05-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks David. Interesting to note the DMCA conversations on the other thread. I'm curious to know. If I'm in say Toronto, and I happen to have my DVD's with me and I rip them to my HDD, would I still be subject to the DMCA? In other words, since the DMCA is all about attempting to circumvent copyright protection, would I be the criminal the courts think I am in Canada as well? I'm assuming the DMCA doesn't provide for the ownership of such material, just the attempt to circumvent the copy protection...Correct?

I have a summer trip to Bermuda planned and I just might load up a wallet full of DVDs just to say I did it. :twisted:

On an entirely practical note, what kind of space do your rips take once converted to PPC acceptable formats?

dh
05-01-2003, 06:13 PM
I have no idea as to how the DMCA applies outside the US. There was a long and detailed discussion of it over at PocketPC Passion a while ago. If you do a search there you should find it easily enough.

Regarding file size, all my movies are less than 190MB, even ones approaching 2 hours in length. I use a 1GB CF card which helps a lot. I usually have 2 or 3 movies and a bunch of CDs on it. Great for travelling, keeps my daughter happy on car rides as well.

sracer
05-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Please refer to my post in this thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11875

for an alternative to PocketMatrix's DivX guide....

TheNewSteve
05-01-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't have a DVD-R drive on my PC, but my roommate has a fancy schmancy iMac that's pretty much top o' the line... and it has a DVD-R drive.

What should I do to rip the DVDs to a similar format on the Mac computer?

-Steve

Pony99CA
05-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Here's the thread where we discussed this software.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11285

(how do you make the short URLs?)

To get better URLs, use the URL tags, like this:

[url=http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11285]
"BVRP DivX Video Duplicator - anyone used it for the Pocket PC yet?" thread
[/url]

The above looks like the following when posted:

"BVRP DivX Video Duplicator - anyone used it for the Pocket PC yet?" thread
(http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11285)
Notice that I also got rid of the "&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" garbage, which you don't need to reference a thread (although you can use the "&start=" to reference a specific post).

Steve

dh
05-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Please consider editing your post and applying my suggestion. Steve

Thanks Steve, it is done. :D

dean_shan
05-02-2003, 01:13 AM
It's the BVRP DVD tool (http://shop.bvrp.com/english/asp/default.asp?UserPrefLanguage=1&UserPrefCountry=3&UserPrefCurrency=5&UserPrefCurrentCompany=1&UserPrefUseVicom=1&id_product=90). I should be getting it this week or next.

I'm just wondering why won't the sell it to Americans?
No person shall import, offer to the public or sell this product into the United States of America.

bdegroodt
05-02-2003, 01:17 AM

I'm just wondering why won't the sell it to Americans?
No person shall import, offer to the public or sell this product into the United States of America.

That's an interesting attempt to reach beyond the borders of the US, but I highly doubt the DMCA means squat outside the states.

I can see the borders of Canada and Mexico filling up with Ripping Cafes flooded with Americans now.

dean_shan
05-02-2003, 01:19 AM
I don't have a DVD-R drive on my PC, but my roommate has a fancy schmancy iMac that's pretty much top o' the line... and it has a DVD-R drive.

What should I do to rip the DVDs to a similar format on the Mac computer?

-Steve
On the Mac I use DVD Backup (http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html#download). It will rip the DVD and decode it for you. You can then play the DVD in Apple DVD player as if it were a real DVD. There is a guide some were on how to burn those files onto a DVD-R for back-up use on a DVD player.

05-02-2003, 01:41 AM
I have been doing this for awhile, and the easiest way to do it is a program for pc called dvd xcopy. the only problem here is that typically a normal dvd has multiple audio tracts, as well as special features. this puts the overall size of a dvd up to 9.4 gigs. xcopy will split this into two dvd's. an annoyance to have to get up and switch dvd's in the middle of a movie. the solution to this is a program called dvd2one. this program (after you decrypt the dvd) will let you eliminate the extra audio tracts, special features, etc. and then will figure out whatever (if any) compression is neccessary to shrink the movie down to 4.38 GB. this will burn perfectly on a dvd-r. this works great every time. I, of course only do this on DVD's that I own, :wink:

KiLLiN-TiMe
05-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I use a program called DVD-to-AVI (http://www.dvd-to-avi.com) to convert the dvd to an mpeg 4 file then use windows media encoder to convert it to a WMA file for the pocket pc. It will convert to Divx if you have the codec and will also break up the file while you are encoding (in MB's) so they will fit on a cd or the likes.
I encoded the StarWars Attack of the Clones (yes I own it!) and it ended up being 206,754 Kb. And it is a pretty long movie. :D

janine
05-05-2003, 07:01 PM
www.jenneth.info

explains why BVRP can't be sold in the USA. I don't think it's legal for this company to sell this software to the USA.

Downloading programs from the internet for encoding/converting purposes currently is not something the US Government has control over (yet). That is why you are able to download these programs from the net. But, there is control over what is sold here (like this software BVRP).

It's confusing, I know. But, from different places on the net that I've looked into, this is the best way I can explain it.

ethancaine
05-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Do you have to have a DVD decoder to rip the DVD's? I have a hardware decoder on my old ATI card, but it is crappy, full of problems, and I'd rather not temp install it for this purpose.

janine
05-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Please look at the guide for how to get movies on the Axim posted at:

www.aximsite.com

It is in the Forums section under Multimedia. If you have a Dell Axim, this is a good place to get help with anything related to the Axim.

You can post questions at this site in the Forums, or participate in their live chat rooms.

Hope this helps!!

ethancaine
05-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Okay, that guide is similar to the DivX guide in this forum, but it doesn't answer my question of wether or not you need to have a decoder installed.

janine
05-07-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry for not being able to tell you that....someone in this forum will probably respond to your post eventually.

I suppose my intent was to let you be aware of that site and possibly you could use it as another way for you to find the answer to your question.

Did you try the LIVE CHAT ROOMS at that site? Perhaps if you do, you won't have to wait so long here for an answer. That is why I posted it...I was only trying to help you. Sorry.

Jason Dunn
05-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Okay, that guide is similar to the DivX guide in this forum, but it doesn't answer my question of wether or not you need to have a decoder installed.

It depends on the DVD. Some rippers can crack the DVD cold, some require a decoder to "open" the stream before it can be hijacked (which is what rippers do).

dh
05-07-2003, 06:59 PM

It depends on the DVD. Some rippers can crack the DVD cold, some require a decoder to "open" the stream before it can be hijacked (which is what rippers do).

Most DVDs that I have ripped need to be "unlocked" in a player before they can be ripped. WMP works sometimes, others I just install the player that is on the DVD and delete it when done.

ppcvidz.com
05-09-2003, 06:31 PM
1. Obtain the following program:

http://www.share2.com/dvdripper/

[EDITED: warez link edited out - we don't allow warez linking here. - Moderator]

Follow the very easy to follow interface and save your movie as a VCD with infinite size settings. Cancel when it asks to start burning to a cd.

2. Import video with either Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder. When asked to save, chose "save media for Pocket PC" and then decide either full screen or small screen.

The DVD conversion takes about 3-4 hrs and the mpeg to wmv conversion takes about another hour on a Athlon XP 2200+ w/ 512MB ram and Western Digital 7200RPM 8M cache drive. Then you are left with about a 150-200MB file for a 1.5-2hr movie.

That's two steps folks, very easy.

Techtoys
05-11-2003, 11:22 AM
I bought the BVRP ripper after reading the posts here. Boy, does it take a long time (probably my fault though, 5x DVD player and 1GHz machine). I have been extracting the Matrix for about 9 hours, and it has nearly finished.

The software is easy to use, but it could be more informative about what is being done (the time remaining is hopelessly inaccurate and takes a long time to appear).