View Full Version : What the heck did that mean??

CTSLICK
05-01-2003, 05:00 PM
The next time you see something in the news where you say to yourself "What the heck did that mean?" then think of this thread and post it! The only rule is that quoting the Iraqi Minister of Information is not allowed...too easy :lol:

Here's an example

"Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Jim Higgins said two weeks earlier that Continental's cash levels suggested the airline may not sell its stake until next year "unless exogenous events impair liquidity.""

What??? Man I gotta get over to m-w.com to see what that means.

Duncan
05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
unless exogenous events impair liquidity = unless events outside our control affect the value of our stock.

ironguy
05-01-2003, 08:45 PM
eschew obfuscation 8O

Busdriver
05-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Jim Higgins said two weeks earlier that Continental's cash levels suggested the airline may not sell its stake until next year "unless exogenous events impair liquidity

That'll be a tough one to top!!

Janak Parekh
05-02-2003, 04:59 PM
It's not that bad. "Exogenous" is a word I wouldn't use (and I haven't seen it frequently in financial circles, but I'm no investment guru), but the rest is pretty boilerplate, and it's certainly grammatically correct.

Try talking "techie" speak to them, and you'll see that we do it too. :lol:

--janak

Jhokur2k
05-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Ahh you mean like disparaging bi-polar groundloop signal fluctuations?

CTSLICK
05-02-2003, 09:57 PM

WOW! now that is good! 8O

CTSLICK
05-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I suppose we could throw in some classic double speak as well. I read this on an NTSB accident report.

"After engine failure the aircraft came to the ground in a non-standard configuration"

Pat Logsdon
05-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Here's a fun one about lobsters!

In juvenile neuromuscular transmission of the phasic flexor muscles that drive the escape behavior, distinct differences in excitatory junction potentials were found among the four molt stages.
Translation: Lobsters run away better when they're not molting. :mrgreen:

CTSLICK
05-03-2003, 08:22 PM
anything to do with this thread qualifies!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=108513

yodacai
05-03-2003, 09:50 PM

I have no idea what this means, but I do speak psychobabble, "Bi-polar I disorder is a clinical course characterized by the occurance of one or more Manic Episodes or Mixed Episodes" (DSM-IV-TR). Amazing that different words and phrases mean totally different things to different people. :mrgreen:

Busdriver
05-03-2003, 09:57 PM
anything to do with this thread qualifies

Beat me to it. :lol: