View Full Version : ROM update stuck at 28%

cookie319
05-01-2003, 04:40 PM
I just downloaded and tried to install the ROM, However, it doesn't want to finish installing. The ROM goes all the way up to 28% and it just dies. The program appears to have crashed.. and my ipaq just won't work.. none of the buttons give any response..
A hard reset restores it to original ROM...

even backing up doesn't work.. it reaches 99%.. and stops there...

anyone have the same problem????

Chris Spera
05-01-2003, 04:53 PM
A close friend of mine had a similar problem.

1. If you have USB Charging turned on, turn it OFF. Keep it off!! USB Charging doesn't seem to work right.

2. Do a hard reset and then remove the battery. Let the unit sit, bleeding power from RAM for a few minutes. Replace the battery, and then set up a Guest Partnership.

3. Change USB Ports. If you have more than one, try sticking the cradle in a different port.

4. Try the ROM Upgrade again.

If it doesn't work that time, then you may need to send it to HP for the upgrade, or some repair work, because something isn't quite right.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

cookie319
05-02-2003, 05:17 PM
thanx for the tips...

I think the issue may be that I don't have a cradle. I'm using a hotsync cable for the update. When i turned off usb charging, it wil not let me install the rom .. saying that hte AC is unplugged.

did the hard reset

did the changing of USB ports.

Still the same result. I'm actually in another country (brunei) and I bought the hp in dallas. It maybe too troublesome to have it sent in.... I don't seem to be able to find the cradle for it here.. but I'll look somemore and maybe invest in one if I find it.
I left my old cradle behind thinking i wouldn't need it!.. doh!

Chris Spera
05-02-2003, 07:12 PM
OK... THAT"S your problem.

You're going to need a separate AC Source in order to do the ROM update. I'd invest in a cradle if I were you. If you keep trying this with your synch/ charge cable, you're going to end up with a very expensive BRICK!

ROM Updates are meant to be done from a cradle. Period. Sync/Charge cables are meant to be used as a traveling accessory and not a permanent solution (altho many people use them that way). I don't recommend it to anyone I give frequent assistance to.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

cookie319
05-03-2003, 12:06 AM
thanx... I'll hunt one down locally.

Any chance a O2 xda cradle would work????>. haha.. but I guess I shouldn't try...

Andrew
05-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Quick question little off topic though, but does that mean that all the people with a 1910 would have to invest in a cradle to perform a rom update (assuming one can be performed on these devices?)... My friend is getting one so it would be useful to know

Ive rom updated a 3660 across a sync and charge cable without problems before - was I just lucky????

Andrew

Chris Spera
05-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Maybe. Honestly, I'm not sure. The 3600 series iPAQ was a little different. It didn't support USB charging; but DID take a charge naturally thru the power pins in the sync cable. The 38/3900's were the same way.

In order for the sync and charge cable on the 5400 to work, you have to have USB charging turned ON. This is known to be problematic; and I had all sorts of problems with it when I was using it. I stopped as a result.

As far as the 1910 is concerned, I don't know for certain. HOWEVER, my recommendation would be to purchase a cradle for ANY Pocket PC you get. in the long run, I feel better knowing that my gadget is resting in something and not just sitting on the desk beside my laptop.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera