View Full Version : HP 568 and PPC 2003

Stephen Beesley
05-01-2003, 01:10 PM
So I know this is opening a can of worms and one for which there is not going to be any answer until PPC 2003 actually materialises, but...

What do other HP 56x owners think are our chances that HP will make a PPC2003 upgrade available?

Goldtee

srbarts
05-01-2003, 01:25 PM
HP said they would continue to support the Jornada brand for two years after they stopped making them so I'm hoping that they will extend that support to OS patches and upgrades. Time will tell, but the length of time it took them to produce EUU3, which was in no way different to that supplied to Ipaq users, doesn't bowed well. :roll:

Certified Optimist
05-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Don't think any more upgrades will follow...

...but... if it ain't broke why fix it..? Yes, upgrading to 2003 will probably add a lot of benefits, but... as when you try to smack a new OS onto an old computer... it starts to wine... and then it will never behave again...

ironguy
05-27-2003, 07:41 PM
There is much conjecture that PPC203 will require 48mb of ROM. Our current Js only have 32mb. That would, of course, preclude any hope of upgrades.

I wish someone would make a ROM flash program where you could pick and choose your own stuff to put in ROM. You could drop Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, MS Reader, etc until you fit 2003 onto 32 MB.

lurch
05-27-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm sticking with '02 for my Jornada..

a) '02 is optimized for the ARM processor, and I don't know if '03 is optimized for XScale or not, but I don't want to find out the slow, I mean, hard way.

b) if it ain't broke, why fix it? '02 does everything I need it to, and does it well... so I'm not going to take the time or money to upgrade.

FredMurphy
05-27-2003, 08:59 PM
The best info seems to be at Inge's PDA on the blog (http://www.inges-pda.net/blogg.html) page at the moment. Looks like 2003 will fit in 32MB as HP intend to release an upgrade for the 39xx series. No mention of the 568 yet though but it is at least feasible.

Stephen Beesley
05-30-2003, 10:05 AM
From what I can see it on Inges-PDA.net and in the FCAA documents referred to on the main page of Thoughts, it does not look like PPC2003 is going to be a big upgrade at least in terms of the look and feel of the OS.

I am pretty keen to upgrade to something new sometime in the next 6-12months (So far the HP 2200 looks good) but it would be nice if HP did bring out an upgrade for the Jornada.

Goldtee

ombu
05-31-2003, 04:37 AM
I don't think HP is going to release an upgrade for the 568, if I'm wrong, it wont match like I wish with hardware as you stated before, so I can see the end coming, but not yet. Just some thoughts:

1) 568's side paint is almost gone.

2) I'm happy with 568's performance.

3) I think PPC 2003 will bring refined OS features though no big changes are expected, but that's really good.

4) I won't be an early adopter anymore.

5) I'll buy a new PPC 2003 device as soon as I learn it's a reliable one and the OS is somehow tested, maybe when "SR-1" comes out, hope it will be no later than Christmas time. :wink: A CF slot is a must have for me.

8) So my 568 has some work to do yet, I'll miss it when gone.

Regards.

Stephen Beesley
06-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Just found this on another site (unfortunately I have fogotten which one.... :( - too much surfing after I copied the info!)

No idea of how true it is, but it sounds about right unfortunately.

Goldtee

Today i've received these informations about HP plans on PPC2003:

PocketPC2003 will be delivered (not for free) for the following iPAQ's:

- 38xx (english only)
- 39xx
- 54xx

Due to the limited ROM (16MB NAND Flash ROM) there will be no upgrade possible for the 19xx.

Wow... so PPC2003 will be not for free but it'll be available for the "older" iPAQ's... sounds fair.

mac
06-05-2003, 08:22 PM
nope... there won't be any PPC2003 upgrades for the Raptor (J56Xs)...

Robert
07-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Just to round off this thread I asked HP about this and the reply was:

Dear Robert,

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 update is not going to
be made available for the Jornada 560 series units. Therefore, you will
not be able to upgrade the operating system of your Jornada 565 to
Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 operating system.

We do not have the visibility of decisions as our main function is to
assist our customers with the software as it is delivered. We do, in
part, serve as a means to capture information on what customers desire
in our products, and this information is influential with decisions on
future products. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate
individuals to help with the decisions made for those products.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message, we will be
happy to help you.

Sincerely,
Nilesh
HP Consumer e-Support

I'm none too sure what the bit about "visibility of decisions" is but the message is clear. Ah well. :?