View Full Version : Cord-Internet?

FunHouse82
04-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I have an Hp Ipaq 1910, and my friend has a Dell Axim 400 mhz. I've noticed then when his is connected to the hub, he can serf the net, is there any setting or configuration I can change to do the same thing? So that when my pda is connected to the computer (with a hub or wire) it would be able to browse webpages. Thanks always

Nellwaskilled
04-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Open activesync

Tool/Option/rules/ pass through (to use pass through this computer must... bla bla bla...

FunHouse82
04-30-2003, 11:17 PM
I did that and it didn't work, i tried pass through --> work and i also tried pass through --> internet, and it didn't work. Please help, thanks

Nellwaskilled
04-30-2003, 11:29 PM
make sure the you have the same connection 'type' between the desktop and the handheld. Mismatch between work/internet, internet/work might not result in connection.

(see on pda: settings/connections/connections)

(recommend using both 'internet setting' on handheld & ActiveSync)

FunHouse82
04-30-2003, 11:37 PM
I checked they both are on Internet setting, I run with DSL if that helps in any way, also it seems that none of my favorite webpages open any more, they did before. (on the pda, i had on Creat mobile favorites)
Also, I use dsl from a shared server from another computer in the house that has the Dsl.

Nellwaskilled
04-30-2003, 11:51 PM
It should work. THe PDA is hitching a ride on the desktop connection, it doesn't make it's own connection to your DSL, so as long as your desktop is on the net, your PDA should be able to fetch the net.

Is your Active sync connecting? (ie. it's green)
If not make sure it is.

also connect/disconnect the sync cable might reset the set up.

---------
PS. when it is not working, what exactly does pocket Explorer do? It might be just slow. if the Ie globe icon is twirling, the browser is fetching data. sometimes it is extremely slow specially if you accidentally calling up a web page that is not PDA friendly.

FunHouse82
05-01-2003, 01:21 AM
The Ie box twirls for less than 2 second and just goes away...

Nellwaskilled
05-01-2003, 01:53 AM
well, if it is twirling the connection is working. It might just get stuck while trying to download a big page. (Some huge page often just drop slow connections)

try with a simple page first just to make sure connection is working. (click on the default homepage and pick MSN mobile, mobile.msn.com/pocketpc if you prefer to type the address manually) Remember some page can reach 500k-800k, that's pretty big chunk to go through the active sync cable.

also check the browser settings ...

and it is also worth while to download ftx browser for full screen page viewing.

------
PS. PPC is trying to suck the net using tiny straw, don't expect it goes as fast as DSL browsing. It's a firehose compare to sync cable. PDA browsing is more suitable for offline browsing.....

FunHouse82
05-01-2003, 01:59 AM
where can i get that?

Nellwaskilled
05-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Here:

http://www.af.wakwak.com/~ftoshi/pocket/index_e.html

It's about 60KB , pretty tiny. I use the h version.
brighthand has a thread discussing what's new on each version.

don't forget to say big thanks to the developer. :D (it is freebie afterall)

FunHouse82
05-01-2003, 02:37 AM
I still havent been able to fix the problem. I have dont EVERYTHING you said. Did i mention its an hp ipaq 1910, is that the problem?

Nellwaskilled
05-01-2003, 02:51 AM
mmmm.... no. I use h1910. It should work.

can you click on the "default pocket IE homepage"? the one with avantgo, MSN bla bla bla. Try to reach the MSN mobile. It has a simple and fast page load.

If that doesn't work. I don't know what else. It could be that your desktop doesn't like the active sync pass through. .... or something else. you just have to figure out yourself.

try connecting from friend computer too using guest connection. If that work, then something is up with your desktop.