View Full Version : Need to replace my e740 - GPS anyone??

EcS
04-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Since my e740 is now gone, (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9709&highlight=) I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. Wi-Fi is a must, so Toshiba is on the short list.

One feature I'd not considered before is the attachment of GPS. Do any of you have experience connecting GPS to a PPC? Or Toshiba in particular?

Also, I was never able to make ActiveSynch work over the wireless network. Will it work that way?

lombard0
05-01-2003, 03:10 AM
I use my e750 with a Holux Ultra (high performance) GPS and several navigation programs. My present favorit is Pocket Map Navigator. This combination works very well together. The Holux is a Compact flash card so it's a pretty neat package, and it has super performance.

As far a wireless (WiFi) goes, that works fine. use it everyday and that's the only way to ActiveSync.

lurch
05-01-2003, 03:55 AM
I don't own a Toshiba, but I use a Pretec GPS Compact Flash card with my Jornada 567 and it works great!

mashtim
06-25-2003, 10:01 PM
On my Toshi740, I currently have a TomTom serial port GPS unit that uses the same plug as the cradle, leaving both card slots free. Works pretty well. A bit sensitive when going under heavy foliage or bridges.

I also use (more heavily) a Socket Bluetooth GPS that I connect to using a Socket CF Bluetooth card. This works extremely well and leaves my SD slot open for maps and whatnot. I tend to just leave the Bluetooth card in the CF slot and use the SD slot more frequently. The exception to this is when I go for a jog or am on a plane for a long flight. Then, I just pop out the BT card and replace it with my 512MB CF and all the music that it carries. Carrying the CF card and the Socket BT GPS unit in a pocket is quite easy. They are both extremely small.

For just this reason, I have decided to replace my ailing 740 with a 750. Just can't beat the form factor and the convenience of carrying only flash cards (and a VERY small BT GPS unit) instead of sleds and all that other stuff.

beckp
06-27-2003, 03:20 PM
lombard0,

I was looking at the Holux units and am considering one for my e740. I have a question regarding CF units. I have to be honest I don't know much about GPS but from what I've been reading it appears you can't have any obsticles overhead (like a car roof) so how would you use one in the car? I like the low power consumption of the Holux and would probably get the TomTom USA software when it comes out.. 99.9% of my GPS use would be for the car.

Sven Johannsen
06-28-2003, 04:56 AM
lombard0,
from what I've been reading it appears you can't have any obsticles overhead (like a car roof) so how would you use one in the car?

The sensitivity of GPS recievers has made remarkable strides of late. There are many units that consistantly achieve signal lock even in the glove box. (That of course is the BT ones, since having the display in the glove box would be somewhat counterproductive) The technology though is perfectly capable of achieving good results sitting on the passenger seat, and better still from a mount that puts the display in a convenient location.

There are also the so-called mouse units which have the GPS seprated from the PPC by a cable. These can be placed on the dash while the PPC is placed for viewing. Many of these include a car adapter to power both the GPS and the PPC in the car.

Check out www.gpspassion.com for lots of options.

lombard0
06-29-2003, 04:03 PM
"BeckP", no matter what , the best place to position a GPS receiver is in a clear view of the sky. You can purchase an external antenna for most units or go the Bluetooth path which lets you position the receiver separately and wirelessly from your PDA.

Yes, some GPS units will work inside the glove compartment and on the floor of your car. But remember, the satellites are always moving so how many are in view varies. Then you have obstructions from building and trees and topographical features to overcome. So if you want to insure that you stay connected go for a clear view of the sky position. This will yield the best signal to noise ratio, most the satellite lock on and the best dulition of position.

For me a clearview is on my sunroof. I have experimented with differernt positions, with and without an antenna and nothing is as good as an external antenna and a sunroof position. This yields the most consistant signal lock possible.

beckp
07-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Another quick question, does the external attena need to be outside the car or does the GPS pick-up work through the windshield say if I have it on the dash up near the windshield?