View Full Version : Which iPaq series is the most stable?

Traveller
04-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Based on issues posted, I'm guessing it's the 3900 series. Am I incorrect?

Chris Spera
04-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Based on my experience, if you're looking at just the newer iPAQ's (38/39/5400), then yes, you are correct.

I have applied the new ROM update and the WLAN SP 1 patch to my 5455; and tho it is much more stable than before I applied these updates, it could be much more solid.

Memory management and certain wireless drivers on this device stink! I am having some very serious issues with SIP DLL's loading/ not loading when Wi-Fi is turned on (and sometimes, even when its off). I tend to soft reset A LOT; and hard reset more than I want to or should have to.

My 3955 runs like a champ. With 128MB of PPCTechs RAM, it is the BOMB! However, it doesn't have the built-in 802.11b that the 5455 does, and I have found that that makes a BIG difference for me...

Here's my recommendation (and this has been consistent from the first day that the 545x was released...): If you don't need the built in wireless 802.11b, or you don't need BlueTooth, go with the 3900. If you find that you need or could make good use of the built in wireless capabilities of the 5400, then consider it; other wise, you're wasting your money.

I rarely use BlueTooth. I've pulled the BTTray Manager out of Start-Up and make better use of the memory and resources.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Pony99CA
05-01-2003, 01:08 AM
Here's my recommendation (and this has been consistent from the first day that the 545x was released...): If you don't need the built in wireless 802.11b, or you don't need BlueTooth, go with the 3900.
Are you saying that if you do need Bluetooth, you should choose the 5450? If so, I'm curious why given that the 3970 has Bluetooth, albeit using the older Bluetooth Manager program.

Steve

hollis_f
05-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Here's my recommendation (and this has been consistent from the first day that the 545x was released...): If you don't need the built in wireless 802.11b, or you don't need BlueTooth, go with the 3900.
Are you saying that if you do need Bluetooth, you should choose the 5450? If so, I'm curious why given that the 3970 has Bluetooth, albeit using the older Bluetooth Manager program.

SteveAnd it's always possible to add the BT Manager that the 54xx uses (but I'm still not sure if it's worth it).

Abba Zabba
05-01-2003, 09:13 AM

Steve

You can get the 3975 for about the same price as the 54xx :wink:

Traveller
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll stick with the 3950. If it weren't for my Compaq TC1000 tablet pc with wi-fi, I'd consider the 54XX version.

Chris Spera
05-01-2003, 03:30 PM
My point was really relating to 802.11b. Not a lot of people use BT. I don't. I have a 3955 and an Orinoco 802.11b wireless card; BUT the whole thing was getting too bulky to carry around. That's why I got the 5455.

I use the Consumer IR all the time; but BT...ehhh. Prolly won't ever use it unless I get a wireless BT capable phone and pass calls from the 5400 to the phone. And even that, on a PROLONGED basis could get old.

That's about it, tho. Looks like you made a good choice.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

kfluet
05-01-2003, 03:35 PM
And it's always possible to add the BT Manager that the 54xx uses (but I'm still not sure if it's worth it).

It is definitely worth loading the 54xx BT manager (http://www.billionton.com.tw/extra/CFBTCE-B.zip) into the 3970. It adds file browsing and automatic connection management among other things.

hollis_f
05-02-2003, 07:44 AM
And it's always possible to add the BT Manager that the 54xx uses (but I'm still not sure if it's worth it).

It is definitely worth loading the 54xx BT manager (http://www.billionton.com.tw/extra/CFBTCE-B.zip) into the 3970. It adds file browsing and automatic connection management among other things.Yup. But it makes some things more difficult - like a BT Activesync.

kfluet
05-02-2003, 06:42 PM

It is definitely worth loading the 54xx BT manager (http://www.billionton.com.tw/extra/CFBTCE-B.zip) into the 3970. It adds file browsing and automatic connection management among other things.Yup. But it makes some things more difficult - like a BT Activesync.

Really? In what way? I find it easier since you don't have to manually turn on the BT radio--BT Manager does it for you. Two mouse taps instead of four.

My only complaint about the new BT software is that sometimes it needs a soft reset to work but doesn't tell you this like the old software did.

rickyaaa
05-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Based on my experience, if you're looking at just the newer iPAQ's (38/39/5400), then yes, you are correct.

I have applied the new ROM update and the WLAN SP 1 patch to my 5455; and tho it is much more stable than before I applied these updates, it could be much more solid.

Memory management and certain wireless drivers on this device stink! I am having some very serious issues with SIP DLL's loading/ not loading when Wi-Fi is turned on (and sometimes, even when its off). I tend to soft reset A LOT; and hard reset more than I want to or should have to.

My 3955 runs like a champ. With 128MB of PPCTechs RAM, it is the BOMB! However, it doesn't have the built-in 802.11b that the 5455 does, and I have found that that makes a BIG difference for me...

Here's my recommendation (and this has been consistent from the first day that the 545x was released...): If you don't need the built in wireless 802.11b, or you don't need BlueTooth, go with the 3900. If you find that you need or could make good use of the built in wireless capabilities of the 5400, then consider it; other wise, you're wasting your money.

I rarely use BlueTooth. I've pulled the BTTray Manager out of Start-Up and make better use of the memory and resources.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Wow, You modified iPAQ 3955 to 128MB RAM. Could you teach me how to do that?
I am interesting in 3900 series. If I can modify iPAQ 3955 to 128MB RAM, I can decide to purchase it now.

Thank you so much.

Ricky

Pony99CA
05-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Wow, You modified iPAQ 3955 to 128MB RAM. Could you teach me how to do that?
I am interesting in 3900 series. If I can modify iPAQ 3955 to 128MB RAM, I can decide to purchase it now.
You send your iPAQ to Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/\) or LinearLogiX (http://www.linearlogix.com).

Steve

P.S. There's no need to quote an entire post to comment on one paragraph of it. Just delete the irrelevant stuff in the QUOTE tags. Please consider saving Jason some disk space and editing your post. :-)

xoiph
05-03-2003, 02:31 AM

Really? In what way? I find it easier since you don't have to manually turn on the BT radio--BT Manager does it for you. Two mouse taps instead of four.

My only complaint about the new BT software is that sometimes it needs a soft reset to work but doesn't tell you this like the old software did.

Just thought I'd quote a quote of a quote of a quote :mrgreen:

Anyways I love my 1910, even if its not as stable as the 3970.