View Full Version : Renaming Partnerships..

verbal
04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Is it possible?

trachy
04-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Verbal, check here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11438&highlight=rename+partnership).

Sven Johannsen
04-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Let me add one potential gotcha on that thread. I believe there may be some software registrations that are tied to the Device ID. Of the dozens I have, none do that, but I do have some that are tied to the Owner Name. Just be aware. I would think that would be a poor way to establish a registration since there are numerous reasons to change the device name. I would think an e-mail or call to the vendor could resolve the issue if it comes up.

andrewlwood
04-30-2003, 04:09 PM
That's true - the palms always used to use user names as reg code generators. Complete pain - if you have to do a hard reset.

MOst of the ppc software I have seems to generate an id based on the internal device serial - so after a hard reset, and a change in username, you can still register. On my palm, most developers were quite happy to regenerate a reg code for you - I'd imagine that most ppc developers would be the same, providing you can prove it's you by using the original email address to register.

disconnected
04-30-2003, 04:20 PM
I changed my iPAQ 3975 id, and everything else happened by magic, except for a few error messages about being unable to copy files. I'm not sure which direction it was trying to copy, but it looked like they were Nevo files; I never use Nevo, so I haven't bothered to try to restore them. Now whenever I synch, I get a message that I have four unresolved files.

Apparently Active-sync won't actually tell you what the unresolved files are, unless I'm missing some option?

I also think I lost a couple of registrations. I went through all my apps and wrote down the ones that were no longer registered; now I just have to find the scrap of paper I wrote on, not that I'm disorganized or anything. I was kind of horrified to find I had over a hundred apps installed.