View Full Version : PIE and Avantgo

ntractv
04-29-2003, 10:58 PM
I have an iPAQ 3835 and what is driving me batty is when I launch PIE to view my Avantgo channels it will take anywhere from 3 seconds (on a good day) to 45 seconds (on a worst day and most of the time). Are there any tweaks that can make the load more quicker?

trachy
04-30-2003, 03:25 AM
I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. I, too, have a 3835 and have the same exact problem. It has to be something with Avantgo, because Journal Bar pages always come up quickly. It's getting to the point where I'm about to quit using Avantgo altogether.

ironguy
04-30-2003, 03:28 PM
If you have the sync time, try Mazingo (http://www.mazingo.net).

After it finishes transferring and decompressing data, it always opens in under 3 seconds on my J568. It does take some time to download, transfer and decompress though. Content is similar and has options for custom urls.

Basic text version is free. You can even opt for the video version and download TV shows, news, radio, etc.[/url]

Unreal32
04-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Mazingo sucks. It may take no time to open it, but if you have any quantity of data downloading at all, it's like downloading a 5 meg file from a dialup connection. I've seen it take up to 30 minutes to synch, because it doesn't just synch NEW content... it re-synchs *everything*. Which (if you use their multimedia content) can take darn near forever.

I have the 8 meg avantgo upgrade, and although it too synchs slowly (just think how long it takes 8 megs of individual little files to copy from your desktop to your PPC, for an example), it opens fairly quickly. Of course, by "fairly quickly" I mean 3 to 45 seconds :wink:

I'd love to know how to get it to open faster, too.

ntractv
04-30-2003, 10:47 PM
If you have the sync time, try Mazingo (http://www.mazingo.net).

After it finishes transferring and decompressing data, it always opens in under 3 seconds on my J568. It does take some time to download, transfer and decompress though. Content is similar and has options for custom urls.

Basic text version is free. You can even opt for the video version and download TV shows, news, radio, etc.[/url]

I, also, have a Mazingo account and I readily agree that the download time on a dial-up connection is extremely long. I know this will make me sound like a slave to my device that I would actually have to adapt my personal life around a device, but, I find that it easier to load up and snyc both programs as soon as I get out bed and before I jump in the shower so by the time I'm all clean and smelling good everything has finished. For me, Avantgo downloads much faster than Mazingo (keep in mind it all depends on what channels you subscribe to) but it amazes me even with that Mazingo loads so much faster than Avantgo. I'm not a computer developer or programmer but it has to be something in the build.

davidspalding
04-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Somone on another site (pocketpcpassion, I think) suggested a way to download Avantgo's "WinCE client" app, so you would not be reading through PIE. I tried on my E125, but it didn't work. Thread was several months back.

FWIW, I find Avantgoes a little quicker if I have closed down background apps, including Gigabar, which uses a eensy teensy bit of RAM. Dunno why, the more RAM is unused, the faster it works.

Oh, BTW, I've used a hack to use external memory for the Avantgo cache, not the RAM. It's usually only 1 MB, but if access speed to your RAM was the issue -- just guessin' now -- then maybe that'd help....?

trachy
05-01-2003, 04:41 AM
I'm in agreement about Mazingo's long download times - even over a T1 connection at work. Frankly, I wish Journal Bar would let me download more content through it. Everything pops up readily through it, and it does a great job of downloading in the background without being intrusive.