View Full Version : So what's with the 256MB SD card false advertising?

toml
04-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Front page says $59.95. Click the link and it says $74.95??

Jason Dunn
04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Front page says $59.95. Click the link and it says $74.95??

Hmm - all our prices are based off the XML feeds we get from vendors. I just checked the Mobile Planet feed and it says $74.95. Maybe you just saw it in between the XML updates? Although that would be sort of strange considering we update it every 24 hours.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion, but the prices you see are only as good as the data feeding our site. :D

xoiph
04-30-2003, 02:13 AM
I was pretty sure there's a $20 MIR involved. I might be wrong...

trachy
04-30-2003, 03:51 AM
Maybe you just saw it in between the XML updates?

Afraid not. I've been keeping a close eye on that ad, and it has been saying $59.95 every day for the past week or so.

trachy
04-30-2003, 03:58 AM
While we're on this, do you have any pull with PriceGrabber? It's ridiculous they advertise the lowest price before shipping. Right now the cheapest 256Mb SanDisk card is $64, or $78.95 after shipping. There are plenty of other vendors who deliver the same product for less. In fact, the real winner is $69, or $70.74 after shipping.

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 06:07 AM
Maybe you just saw it in between the XML updates?

Afraid not. I've been keeping a close eye on that ad, and it has been saying $59.95 every day for the past week or so.

Ok, I've put in an email to Mobile Planet to ask for clarification. I don't think there's an intention to decieve people here though.

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 06:10 AM
While we're on this, do you have any pull with PriceGrabber? It's ridiculous they advertise the lowest price before shipping. Right now the cheapest 256Mb SanDisk card is $64, or $78.95 after shipping. There are plenty of other vendors who deliver the same product for less. In fact, the real winner is $69, or $70.74 after shipping.

This has nothing to do with Pricegrabber I'm afraid - it's a common problem with a lot of "low price" vendors. They slim their profits on the hardware, then jack up prices on shipping and handling to compensate. Others sell grey market items without warranties - all in the name of getting that coveted "cheapest vendor" slot. It's the nature of the game when you're focused solely on cheap prices - that's why sometimes it makes sense to pay a little more and stick with a vendor that does try to rip off their customers. ;-)

Crystal Eitle
04-30-2003, 02:45 PM
It's the nature of the game when you're focused solely on cheap prices - that's why sometimes it makes sense to pay a little more and stick with a vendor that does try to rip off their customers. ;-)

Er, I think you mean "does not try to rip off their customers." :wink:

Steven Cedrone
04-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Er, I think you mean "does not try to rip off their customers." :wink:

I like to spend more and get ripped off at the same time. You mean that's not normal??? :wink: :lol:

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-30-2003, 03:29 PM
I like to spend more and get ripped off at the same time. You mean that's not normal??? :wink: :lol:
Steve, I have this bridge... :deal:

--janak

Sven Johannsen
04-30-2003, 03:37 PM
You know, when you go to pricegrabber, you can get the price, input your Zip, calculate shipping and rank by lowest overall cost. They also have a very nice customer satisfaction rating. (Can't say much about the accuracy, but if 95% of 200 customers are satisfied, I have a better feeling than if 100% out of 5 like the place :))

toml
05-01-2003, 03:58 PM
The Ad's back again today. Click it and it says $74.95 though. Try it yourself.

I'd *like* to buy a cheap SD card, but they're not making it easy.

Tom.

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 04:01 PM

You're talking about the Mobile Planet slideshow in the lower-left corner, right? The advertised price is $74.95, and that's correct. Are you seeing it for less than that? If so, where on the page? The featured product in the upper-right corner should be the Thera...

toml
05-01-2003, 08:56 PM
In the Upper Right-Hand corner, under the "Featured Product" section in green.

Is still there and still doing it as I type...

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 09:00 PM
In the Upper Right-Hand corner, under the "Featured Product" section in green. Is still there and still doing it as I type...

Aha. 8O It's your local cache then - press CONTROL+F5 if you're using Internet Explorer, or manually clear your browsers cache - that promotion ended more than a week ago, and I haven't seen it since then. Either your local machine, or your ISP, is caching it and that's why you're seeing it.

The current promotion as of right now is the iPAQ 1910 bundle.

I'll see if we can implement some "no cache" code in that section to avoid this in the future...

drop
05-01-2003, 09:24 PM

I'd *like* to buy a cheap SD card, but they're not making it easy.

Tom.

If cheap SD is what you are looking for, I just received my shipment from Buy.com, Lexar 256MB SD for $47.99 after rebate 0X . Am very happy.

Here is the link Lexar 256MB SD (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10330513&loc=101). BTW, shipping was free.

toml
05-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Aha! They fixed the ad, says $74.95 now.

Don't think it was my cache, I saw the ipaq 1910 special just after I posted.

Thanks drop, I'll check that deal out!