View Full Version : Just in Time Debugging

gsim
04-29-2003, 01:48 PM
I get this message frequently in my IPAQ 3850 (almost every other day):

Just in Time Debugging
Application filesys.exe has performed an illegal operation.
Program:filesys.exe
Exception:OXC0000005
Address:00019b64
Do you want to debug?
(Clicking No will shut down the application)

But the whole machine freezes and will not respond. I have to do a soft reset, which causes the IPAQ to hard reset.

Is this something to do with the programmes or the machine itself? I most frequently use Pocket Informant 4, and although I'm not 100% positive, I'm fairly sure this doesn't only happen with PI4.

Help!

JvanEkris
04-29-2003, 02:48 PM
Just in Time debugging originates from Vsual Studio. It is a compiler option. If you use it for apps developped with the CE-toolkit, you inherit it as well. Problem is that any app on your machine can cause it....

Jaap

gsim
04-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Does that mean there's nothing I can do about it? Sorry, I'm not versed in tech talk.

But is it normal for the Ipaq to hard reset itself even though I only pressed the soft reset button? Or is it something buggy in the machine?

Janak Parekh
04-30-2003, 01:28 PM
I think Jaap's point is that it's being caused by a particular program. I don't know which -- I've never seen this error myself. Try using the unit for a few days without installing anything, and then slowly install programs until you track down the one that's causing problems. An alternative would be to track down what "filesys.exe" is, but that may or may not be of help.

--janak

Steven Cedrone
04-30-2003, 02:35 PM
But is it normal for the Ipaq to hard reset itself even though I only pressed the soft reset button? Or is it something buggy in the machine?

A hard reset after pressing the soft reset button (you mean all of your data is wiped out)? Definitely not normal! Do you still see this error after a hard reset???

Steve

Andrew
04-30-2003, 04:02 PM
I had this exact error in the past on an ipaq 3660 while reading a book in MSReader. I pressed next page, got the above error, soft reset, and when the ipaq came back on, it had actually performed a hard reset.
I put the apps back on slowly over the next couple of days, but I never did find out what was caused it. :?

gsim
05-01-2003, 11:52 AM

A hard reset after pressing the soft reset button (you mean all of your data is wiped out)? Definitely not normal! Do you still see this error after a hard reset???

Steve

Yes. All info is lost except what is in Filestore. Should I insist on HP for replacement machine?

Chris Spera
05-01-2003, 03:43 PM
All info but the File Store would be lost on a hard reset... If your unit is doing a hard reset after you press the soft reset button, you should return it as defective and get a new unit.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Steven Cedrone
05-01-2003, 06:21 PM
All info but the File Store would be lost on a hard reset... If your unit is doing a hard reset after you press the soft reset button, you should return it as defective and get a new unit.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

What he said... :wink:

If after a hard reset, you do a soft reset and it continues to wipe out your data, call and return your device...

Steve