View Full Version : Sync Outlook at Home and Lotus Notes R5 at Work

baker
04-29-2003, 05:21 AM
What software will allow me to sync my calendar and tasks at home with Outlook and at work with Lotus Notes R5? I thought my work place had a solution, but the IT department tells me that if I use their software that I will not be able to sync my information at home. :?:

hollis_f
04-29-2003, 05:23 AM
What software will allow me to sync my calendar and tasks at home with Outlook and at work with Lotus Notes R5? I thought my work place had a solution, but the IT department tells me that if I use their software that I will not be able to sync my information at home. :?:Do you know what the solution at work was called? There's a fair chance your IT department were talking bollocks.

jimski
04-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Are you using Lotus Notes for e-mail only or do you use a company wide calendar, etc.?

We have Lotus (R5) Notes as our mail client, but I use Outlook for everything on my office laptop. I import my mail from Notes into Outlook and delete the mail from the Notes server. I have not opened Lotus Notes in almost six months and I am loving it.

If the Notes Calendar function is not critical to you then this could be a viable solution (if your IT Department will allow you to use Outlook that is). Otherwise, you could use a third party tool, like IntelliSync to sync the Notes database, but I would be a bit concerned about resyncing via Outlook with your home PC.

One downside of using Outlook was that we could not find a tool to import the Notes address book into Outlook. Interestingly, only Notes Personal Address Books could be imported. As we have about 300 names in our company address book, it was only a 1-2 night job to get everyone loaded into Outlook.

sracer
04-29-2003, 02:16 PM
If you use Lotus Notes for mail, calendar, etc. then you'll need Lotus EasySync Pro 4.2.

baker
04-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone. :D

I use LNotes for calendar, contacts, tasks and email, but I'm only wanting to sync the calendar and tasks at work. I'm connected to the server and can replicate with the server. The calendar is company wide. The software IT is using is Synchrologic. Installing Outlook at work is not an option for me.

I'd sync the calendar, tasks, contacts and personal email on the home pc.

JvanEkris
04-29-2003, 07:57 PM
There are several options, depending on your personal needs and the rigidity of the IT-department. I work on a Lotus V6 server, being used in a extremely limited sense: only for mail, appointments, tasks etc.

Your PocketPC can directly connect to the server. It works, however it has no relation of any kind with your normal callendar....

There are sync-alternatives: Easysync, XTND Connect, etc. These applications sync notes with your PocketPC. My experience is that some tricks are used to get it synced, leading to less satisfying results. Also it is my experience that it is horrifying slow....

There are connectors for Outlook and Notes. Microsoft delivers the "Lotus Notes Connector" but also commercial products like "doublelook" from Campanionlink. These applications synchronise Outlook with Notus based on a off-line folder. I use The Notes to microsoft Outlook connector from microsoft. Works very well. Only downside is that i can't look into the calander of a collague.

There is something called I-notes. This is a server-extension. This allows Microsoft Outlook to directly connect to Lotus Notes. My experience is that is not a good solution. Basically it demolishes every aspect that makes Outlook a nice product :(

jaap

Lano
04-29-2003, 08:20 PM
My solution is really simple.

I use Lotus Notes at work and Outlook at home. At the office we use Cadenza software (excellent product) to sync with notes. If I want an appointment or task not to show up in Notes I go to catagories and check "Personal" and "No Notes Sync". This way it only shows up in Outlook.

victore
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm (almost) exactly in that situation. I use Outlook at home and synch over the air (OTA) with hosted Exchange service. At work, I use Lotus Notes and would like to keep all there "devices" in synch. When I used mNotes, Lotus Notes would not recognize/synchronize any items that were originally generated in Outlook/Exchange. So when I entered a new piece of data or modified an existing entry, Notes would synch it. After a while, I would get so fouled up, that I ended up entering data only on my device.

I'm considering switching to EasySync to see if it gives me better luck. I'll let everyone know how that goes.