View Full Version : WMP Button-Mapping Problem

piperpilot
04-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Here's an interesting problem that I discovered today. Last week, I installed the latest ROM update for my H5455. Had all my settings backed up on a 256MB SD card so it was relatively painless. Today, I had to go to the dentist's office, which is two subway stops away. In order to (a) avoid the numerous panhandlers working the streets on the way to the subway, and (b) tune out the crazy people and screaming kids on the subway, I decided to listen to some MP3s on Windows Media Player. Previous to the ROM update, I had mapped the buttons as follows:

Up = Volume Increase;
Down = Volume Decrease;
Left = Previous Track;
Right = Next Track.

At one point while listening to WMP, I decided that the music was a little loud (read: HP headset volume patch is too much of a good thing), so I hit the down button. Instead of lowering the volume, it started playing the next track. I then went to settings and saw that the buttons were now mapped as follows:

Up = Previous Track;
Down = Next Track;
Left = Volume Increase;
Right = Volume Decrease.

OK, I said, this problem is annoying, but all I have to do is re-map the buttons. No problem, right? Wrong! The buttons will not re-map!!!!

Is anyone else having this problem? Is the ROM update responsible or is it some quirk that resulting from me using iPAQ Backup to restore my settings following the ROM update? :cry:

Janak Parekh
04-28-2003, 10:02 PM
You shouldn't restore your (registry) settings after a ROM update. I know, it sucks having to set everything up again, but it generally avoids all sorts of weird problems like this.

--janak

Server
04-29-2003, 12:52 AM
I agree with Janak. Or you could try finding
the registry key that holds the info for button
mapping and try from there...

piperpilot
04-29-2003, 02:56 AM
You shouldn't restore your (registry) settings after a ROM update. I know, it sucks having to set everything up again, but it generally avoids all sorts of weird problems like this.

So should I go back and reinstall the ROM update, then start anew?

Pony99CA
04-29-2003, 12:16 PM
So should I go back and reinstall the ROM update, then start anew?
You shouldn't need to reinstall the ROM update, as that's in your ROM already. Doing a hard reset and setting up again should be sufficient.

Steve

piperpilot
04-29-2003, 06:08 PM
You shouldn't need to reinstall the ROM update, as that's in your ROM already. Doing a hard reset and setting up again should be sufficient.

OK, this is going to sound really dumb, but just how do I do a hard reset? I did them on my old 3850 a couple of times, but don't remember the procedure. :oops:

Steven Cedrone
04-29-2003, 06:22 PM
OK, this is going to sound really dumb, but just how do I do a hard reset? I did them on my old 3850 a couple of times, but don't remember the procedure. :oops:

First, put the 5455 next to the dryer. Next, pull out some synthetic clothes...

That should do it!!! :wink:

Only joking: press and hold the 1 and 4 application buttons. Then press the reset button on the bottom of the IPAQ PocketPC with the stylus.

Steve

piperpilot
04-29-2003, 08:04 PM
First, put the 5455 next to the dryer. Next, pull out some synthetic clothes...

Wow, I'm impressed that you remembered my little gaffe!

I'm home from work today and it's raining at the moment, so what better time to do a hard reset. I think, however, I'll do it the way you instructed and leave the dryer alone!! Thanks!

prototype
04-29-2003, 09:31 PM
ok shoot me here 8O but doesn't the 5455 have dedicated volume control buttons?

I know it doesn't solve the problem but why remap the joy-buttons for volume? :roll:

piperpilot
04-29-2003, 10:52 PM
doesn't the 5455 have dedicated volume control buttons?

There is a button on the left side of the device that controls the volume, but it seems to me to do it in larger increments than using the mapped directional control. Of course, that may not really be the case, but it certainly seems that way to me. :wink: