View Full Version : Microsoft Money 2003 for PocketPC

T4RZ4N
04-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Anyone ever successfully installed Money 2003 for PPC?
I tried to install it. It installed successfully, but when ActiveSync 3.6 sync the money database, a box just came out saying "Reading device databases" and stays there forever.

I read the README, says that I need to install the Money 2003 PPC even before I configure the Money file in my desktop PC (i.e. The Money file must be a new one)
I followed all the steps like a novice step by step (I have never follow a readme step by step so closely like this one :()

OK, after few hours of trial and error, I don't see the "Reading device databases" dialog box when sync-ing anymore.

However, I noticed that every one second after all have been sync-ed, the Money database changes to say "1 item not synchronized". Wait there for few seconds and it goes back to "Synchronized" mode. One second after that, it goes back to "1 item not sync-ed" mode.

Anybody can help? Is it this troublesome to use Money? 8O
Thanks.

redifrogger
04-28-2003, 10:29 PM
I use Microsoft Money 2003 and PocketPC Money 2003 and they work fine together, but I have ActiveSync 3.5 - I haven't heard many good things about 3.6. You might try 3.5 and see if this clears up your problem. I'm by no means an expert, so this could very well prove to be a useless suggestion, but it's worth a try. :wink:

TheNewSteve
04-28-2003, 11:28 PM
I installed it just fine with AS 3.6.

It works well. Kind of simple, but it's FAST, which is what a program like this needs to be. You don't want to wait for it to boot up when you're leaving a store/restaurant, you want to turn it on, enter it and turn it off.

And it's free. Thanks MS (for once).

-Steve

delfuhd
04-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Hmm I installed Money 2003 onto my Pocket PC, and it was all good. Then I realized that I didn't really need the program, as I didn't carry my pocket pc around whenever I made a purchase with something like if I was skateboarding somewhere and went to a diner, which is what I wanted it for. So now I just have a little piece of paper in my wallet that I record the info down onto temporarily.. But anyway, onto my little dilemma! :bad-words:
So I installed it, and when I went to uninstall it, it said "Let the desktop version of Money 2003 uninstall, then undock the PPC." Then it does a nice little soft reset..
Except I don't have the desktop version of money :|
Money seemed to have uninstalled itself on my pocket pc, but in the "remove programs" menu, it's still listed as a program to uninstall! 'm confused, and I'm pretty sure it's still taking up a bit of memory and want to get rid of it. Any help/suggestions? I don't want to purchase a desktop version of MM2003

Pony99CA
04-29-2003, 12:00 PM
However, I noticed that every one second after all have been sync-ed, the Money database changes to say "1 item not synchronized". Wait there for few seconds and it goes back to "Synchronized" mode. One second after that, it goes back to "1 item not sync-ed" mode.
I can't really help, but I can say that I get similar behavior in Money 2002, just not every second. Were you being literal about that? It seems to happen every minute or so for me.

Steve

ti2gr
04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
I have MS Money 2003 on my PC and PPC and it works just great. It does search for changes, but after 3 or 4 attemps just stops. I have not had any other ssues with it though. Works great otherwise

T4RZ4N
04-30-2003, 10:23 AM
I can't really help, but I can say that I get similar behavior in Money 2002, just not every second. Were you being literal about that? It seems to happen every minute or so for me.

Steve

Nope. it's one second after it said "Synchronized", not really every second. I am discussing this problem with MSN Support right now.
According to him, it's caused by a corrupted Money file. I tried his suggestion to fix it, but until now still no luck.

I will post here when there is any other development.
Thanks.

T4RZ4N
04-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Following a suggestion from a genius (ya, only genius would ever thought of this idea) in this forum who called himself/herself Mona, I concluded that:

MS Money have to be installed BEFORE Agenda Fusion
That said, you cannot install MS Money PPC if you have AF installed. You need to uninstall AF, install Money, then install AF again.
Solution worked perfectly... made me really glad ... :D if not for the hard-reset caused by improper AF installation .... :cry:
After hard-reset, I did the same proper sequence of installation, and there are absolutely no problem with Money and AF now, except for multiple birthday entries in my calendar now due to sync-ing after hard-reset.
Think Money and AF don't like each other, do they?

OK, sooo... that's the conclusion ....
Reason?? I have no idea. What a MS Money have to do with Agenda Fusion??? Database??? what database do they have in common? I don't see any....

Think both MS and AF engineer need to sort things out.
Thanks for everyone who replied.

ti2gr
04-30-2003, 07:38 PM
I have not experienced that problem with Pocket Informant

kfluet
05-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Just a quick warning: I had HORRIBLE problems with Microsoft Money 2003 corrupting its databases on more than one occasion, and I have talked to other people who have had similar experiences. I recommend that people stay away from the product.

ombu
05-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Another WARNING: :!: Before trying to uninstall both, AF or MS Money, get some advice or tech support from developers (MS? :lol: ), AFAIK MS money doesn't go away at all (maybe it's 2002 ver) and AF monitor keeps showing an error window.

Regards.