View Full Version : Amazing GSM locator application

k_kirk
04-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Check this out!

http://my-symbian.com/uiq/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=224&faq=2

Too bad this is for the P800. Saw this on my collagues P800 and believe me the capability is scary. Given that the application is capable of sending SMS to predetermined numbers when taken in or out of a zone (all user defined) I see a lot of possibility in this application to track an XDA after it gets stolen etc. Is there anything similar for the XDA?

Regards
K.

onepieceman
05-05-2003, 04:38 PM
The XDA has a DLL called RIL, which mediates its communications with the radio part of the device. There is a function called RIL_GetCellTowerInfo, which should provide you with what you need (if you are a programmer and can reverse engineer this very poorly defined API).
As you probably know, the density of cell towers varies inversely with density of population, so that in a city you'll get more than in the country. Also, depending on your operator, you might find that cell identifiers are reused, but you'll need to be a long way apart to get two cell ids that are the same. It's no good as a GPS, but it might be quite useful for the same sort of applications as on the symbian device.
One thing that isn't clear to me is whether you get a message when the cell changes. If you didn't, then you'd effectively have to poll this API to get any active behaviour.