View Full Version : YOU guys might know....hyperlinking

fireflyrsmr
04-27-2003, 06:56 PM
I got a news letter that talked about hyperlinking from contacts out to pictures. they had this command in the form of file://\stuff\filename.jpg

I've played around with this and it works for HTM files since this command seems to activate PIE. I couldn't seem to get it to work for jpg even when i associated the file with PIE. This linking to HTM files works in several places that i tried - like inside Pocket Slides, and a Word document. At this point I think i've got that down. :) Now I'd like to go the next step and link to any document and have it fire up the appropriate application. 0X Pocket Mind Map does this. I'm not a developer so i'm not looking to create some code. the learning curve would be immense for something so small. What i've ofter wanted was a way to hyperlink files to a meeting in my calendar.

So - I think what i'm looking for is a similar one line magic command that starts windows explorer and navigates a path. Can that happen?

Ian Hanschen
05-21-2003, 05:11 PM
I do:

SHELLEXECUTEINFO sei;
memset(&sei, 0, sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO));
sei.cbSize = sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO);
sei.fMask = SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS;
sei.lpVerb = L"open";
sei.nShow = SW_SHOWNORMAL;
sei.lpFile = L"iexplore";
sei.lpParameters = szUrl;
ShellExecuteEx(&sei);

Where szURL is the url you are interested in opening. I can't remember if just executing a URL worked, but I think I had problems with that.
-Ian

fireflyrsmr
09-05-2003, 01:55 AM
:jawdrop: what is that code and where would i put it? I don't really expect an answer but i would appreciate a hint on where to find the answers. After following a lead from Andy in one of his posts I found the MSDN home. that sent me to an article by Mike hall.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15085&highlight=sdk

Mike Hall "Windows ce.net application development: what are my options?"

At this point since I am just starting, even this is too opaque for me to start. I'd like to play with this but this post is an attempt to jump to the right tool and learn rather than learn several partially until i know they won't work. Should I try and learn win32? can i do something with a version of visual basic?

This would just be for me so I don't need to make it with a full bullet proof GUI.

gohtor
09-10-2003, 05:39 PM
try doing a context search on the word ShellExecuteEx. they should provide an easy to plug in example of how this is invoked

fireflyrsmr
09-10-2003, 09:21 PM
I'll give that a shot.