View Full Version : PocketPC OEMs - who are they?

smallbone10
04-26-2003, 03:58 PM
I've heard that there are only two companies that actually OEM all the brand name PocketPCs on the market. I think that HTC Corporation is one. Anyone share any insight on this?

Thanks
smallbone10

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 05:16 PM
HTC does build a number, including the 3xxx iPAQs, the Pocket PC Phone, and some others. LG builds the 5450 and, I think, the 1910 (or does HTC do that?) Wistron builds the units for Dell. I believe Toshiba builds their own (and units for the Audiovox), and finally, I believe Mitac is the OEM for the Viewsonic, NEC, and Medion units. Not sure about some of the others.

--janak

smallbone10
04-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Wow! What a comprehensive reply! Thanks Janak - you're a legend!

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Wow! What a comprehensive reply! Thanks Janak - you're a legend!
Nah, not quite :lol: BTW, I can't vouch for the accuracy of my reply, it's just what I've heard over the years. ;)

--janak

BillTheCat
05-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Then Siemens does not build the SX56? I know it looks identical to the T mobile ppcpe build by HTC, but assumed Siemens engineered it.

Guess I dont know !

also I have notice that the Palms are obsolete within months and new models come out. Is it that way with these items too?

Jake K
05-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Then Siemens does not build the SX56? I know it looks identical to the T mobile ppcpe build by HTC, but assumed Siemens engineered it.

Guess I dont know !

also I have notice that the Palms are obsolete within months and new models come out. Is it that way with these items too?

They don't become obsolete just because something better is out. It still does exactly what it did when you bought it, nothing more, nothing less.

Enderet
06-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Yeah Janak you are a legend :lol:

thomas1973
06-05-2003, 03:01 PM
They [PDA's] don't become obsolete just because something better is out. It still does exactly what it did when you bought it, nothing more, nothing less.You're so right! I just tend to forget every time I see a new PPC with slightly better spec's :lol:

Thomas.

kinged
06-26-2003, 03:00 PM
I just hear Taiwan's Lite-on is building one for Gateway. The HP 1900 series and 2200 series are built by HTC. I know Toshiba and audiovox is also built by Taiwan's OEM, but I do not know which one. Dell is build by Winstron. There was a rumor that LG will no longer build the 5550, but I don't know it is is the case.