View Full Version : How to associate file types on the PPC?

bdegroodt
04-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Anyone know how to take a "non standard" file extension and get the PPC to understand which app to use to open the file?

For instance, I have a .lic file that only needs to be opened by Pocket Word, but I can't figure out how to make the 2 of them marry. Ideas?

Jacob
04-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I don't know if you have Resco File explorer, but if you do... you can just browse to that file, tap and hold on it and it should have an option "Associate with..." on the menu.

Other than that, you would have to either find an app to do it or enter the info in the registry.

bdegroodt
04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
That sounds like the price of admission alone. Everytime I turn around that little program has everything Explorer should have had in the first place.
Thanks!

I just had to log one more on this issue. It's been probably no more than 10 minutes since my original post to this board and the user community here has already solved my issue. Thanks to everyone that makes this possible and to everyone that participates. It's very cool to be part of this and it's highly beneficial in many ways! :alfdance: Rock on!

michael0000
04-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Or you can use tillanosoft's pocketTweak, it's free too. :wink:
it's here http://www.tillanosoft.com/

Unreal32
04-24-2003, 04:03 AM
You can also use PHM Regedit, and edit the registry key to add the program as the default for that extension... that was how I did it.

karinatwork
04-24-2003, 04:18 PM
I would need some help with this. I am not very brave and I don't want to mess around with the registry, so I installed Pocket Tweak. Turns out I am not able to write the exact path to the program I want to use to open jpegs or bitmaps.

Are there some specific symbols (i.e. % or some spaces and stuff) that I have to include (or omit)? The path I was using looks like that:

\Storage Card\PDAmill Viewer\Viewer.exe

but it doesn't work... Maybe I am forgetting something?

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can give me some hints!! :)

Karin

bdegroodt
04-24-2003, 04:32 PM
I would need some help with this. I am not very brave and I don't want to mess around with the registry, so I installed Pocket Tweak. Turns out I am not able to write the exact path to the program I want to use to open jpegs or bitmaps.

Are there some specific symbols (i.e. % or some spaces and stuff) that I have to include (or omit)? The path I was using looks like that:

\Storage Card\PDAmill Viewer\Viewer.exe

but it doesn't work... Maybe I am forgetting something?

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can give me some hints!! :)

Karin

Do you have the Resco FileExplorer? It's ultra simple to get done. It's free for 14 days if you want to give it a whirl. I had it installed and my mission completed in under 45 seconds.

spursdude
04-25-2003, 03:53 AM
So Karin, I saw some screenshots at the Tillanosoft website here (http://www.tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html). It seems that adding %1 after the file name should do the trick... although it could vary.

I'm also curious to know exactly what that %1 means, or how to do this manually without having to install Resco File Explorer.

Jacob
04-25-2003, 04:23 AM
So Karin, I saw some screenshots at the Tillanosoft website here (http://www.tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html). It seems that adding %1 after the file name should do the trick... although it could vary.

I'm also curious to know exactly what that %1 means, or how to do this manually without having to install Resco File Explorer.

The %1 is standard to signify a parameter - for example if you're writing a batch file that expects a parameter, within the batch file you would refer to %1 within the batch file.