View Full Version : Weather App

wizardmaster2k
04-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Im looking for a good app that will show you the weather forcast for the day on your today screen. it will sync with activesync and so forth. anything out there?

Brad Adrian
04-23-2003, 02:27 PM
mcTraveler (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11584) will sync forecasts, but I don't think it posts them to the Today screen.

blazingwolf
04-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Journal Bar (www.omegaone.com) from Omega One will do that.

robclif4d
04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
I found Weather Today to be better than Journal Bar. Works excellent with proxy servers and firewalls where JB doesn't (if you are syncing in 2 separate locations).

ExtremeSIMS
04-23-2003, 04:50 PM
I found this app when I was testing the Tungsten C:

http://www.mobimate.com/worldmate/

Very nice!

PetiteFlower
04-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Can you post a link for Weather Today?

tewmgd
04-23-2003, 09:41 PM
You can use Infuzer (http://www.infuzer.com/IDC/features/), it's free for forecast and sync like event in outlook.

sub_tex
04-24-2003, 07:16 AM

Is this it?

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=5084&associateid-64

juni
04-24-2003, 11:33 AM
I haven't had any problems with Journalbar. I use it when docking the Loox or when connecting through bluetooth. :)

Kaber
04-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Don't forget ADB Weather (http://www.happyjackroad.com/AtomicDB/pocketpc/weather/weather.asp). I've been using it for the trial period and am considering buying it. It is only $5.00 @ Handango (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?catalog=1&jid=C71CB9845A319BCCXXB12C439A5628C6&productId=22508&authorId=83512&sectionId=0&productType=2&siteId=1&platformId=2).

VintageSlots
05-01-2003, 09:34 PM

Is this it?

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=5084&associateid-64

You can go to www.rdfo.com/st for information about Weather Today ($7.95), Stocks Today ($12.95), and Stocks AND Weather Today ($17.95). The application may be purchased from Handango or PocketGear.

Here is a sample screen shot of Weather Today.
http://www.rdfo.com/st/wt/s.gif

Kati Compton
05-02-2003, 06:45 AM
You can go to www.rdfo.com/st for information about Weather Today ($7.95), Stocks Today ($12.95), and Stocks AND Weather Today ($17.95). The application may be purchased from Handango or PocketGear.

I'm currently doing a trial of WeatherToday, and there's just one thing lacking (or I'm doing it wrong) that would prevent me from buying it.

What I really want (and tell me if there's a way to do this already), is for it to display the weather only for my "home" zip. Then, when I want to view the weather for the other zip codes, I hit the side arrow.

There's already *something* like that, where you can use the side arrow to flip between the cities, but the display keeps changing automatically, and I don't want that. It's distracting to me, and I don't need to see those other places all the time.

Please let me know if there's a simple solution. Or if I should just RTFM. ;)

Kati Compton
05-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm liking WeatherToday so far, apart from what I mentioned above.

BTW - was it not possible to squeeze in 5 days instead of 4 for the compressed view?

Another thing I would like to see with this program, is the ability to get the popup forcast that you can now get by tapping the "current" icon by tapping on a forcast icon. I like the compressed view of the forcast, but then I can't access the text popup. Perhaps there could be a compressed view with a slightly smaller font that would have current weather as the 1st icon, with current temperature, then forcasts for the following 4 days. Clicking on the current day's icon would bring up the text forcast information. Just something I personally would like to see - real estate on the Today screen is expensive, so I want the info I display to be as useful to me as possible.

Lastly - is it me, or does the current weather icon not match the forcast (1st forcast icon) for the same day? I frequently am seeing partly cloudy current, sunny forcast, or part cloudy current, thunderstorm forcast....

VintageSlots
05-02-2003, 04:57 PM

I'm currently doing a trial of WeatherToday, and there's just one thing lacking (or I'm doing it wrong) that would prevent me from buying it.

What I really want (and tell me if there's a way to do this already), is for it to display the weather only for my "home" zip. Then, when I want to view the weather for the other zip codes, I hit the side arrow.

There's already *something* like that, where you can use the side arrow to flip between the cities, but the display keeps changing automatically, and I don't want that. It's distracting to me, and I don't need to see those other places all the time.

The option to not scroll cities will be available in the next release (which will be a FREE :lol: upgrade to all registered users). The next release will probably be available sometime during the week of 5/5/2003

For now, we suggest you go into the city timing option, set the city that you want to remain on the display at 30000 msecs (30 seconds). This will come close to emulating what you want until the no scroll option is available. We will make an announcement in pocketpcthoughts when the no scroll option is ready.

If you have other questions/comments/requests for enhancements feel free to email us ([email protected]) in addition to posting questions/comments on forums. We try to monitor the forums for people asking questions about our products but the best way to make sure we hear about it is to email us directly.

FYI, if you go to our web site (www.rdfo.com/st) you can grab the latest version which is not yet available for purchase. This version has our latest enhancements. If you are a registered user then the version will have full functionality, otherwise it will operate in demo mode.

VintageSlots
05-02-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm liking WeatherToday so far, apart from what I mentioned above.

BTW - was it not possible to squeeze in 5 days instead of 4 for the compressed view?

Another thing I would like to see with this program, is the ability to get the popup forcast that you can now get by tapping the "current" icon by tapping on a forcast icon. I like the compressed view of the forcast, but then I can't access the text popup. Perhaps there could be a compressed view with a slightly smaller font that would have current weather as the 1st icon, with current temperature, then forcasts for the following 4 days. Clicking on the current day's icon would bring up the text forcast information. Just something I personally would like to see - real estate on the Today screen is expensive, so I want the info I display to be as useful to me as possible.

Lastly - is it me, or does the current weather icon not match the forcast (1st forcast icon) for the same day? I frequently am seeing partly cloudy current, sunny forcast, or part cloudy current, thunderstorm forcast....

The reason we only display 4 cities in the compressed mode instead of five is because we need space for the hazard weather alert, the arrows which control the ability to advance to the next city and to force a download and also the icon which forces a new theme to be loaded which matches your city (only available in Themes Edition of the application (go to www.rdfo.com/st/themes.htm for more information on this capability). FYI, here is a screen shot of the Themes Edition. http://www.rdfo.com/st/themes0011.gif

As you can see, the 5 days of forecasts would really be tight if they were compressed to fit into the are just to the left of the screen rotation icon (just left of the red !). This is where they show up when running in compressed mode.

If we crammed 5 days of forecasts into all this it just didn't look that good (in our opinion). We are checking into different options to make it look good. In the mean time, you can always tap on the first weather icon (when in compressed mode) to get a dialog box which has the full 5 day forecast.

Hope this helps to explain why only a 4 day forecast is displayed on the screen when running in compressed mode.

Regarding your last question, we will check into that to see if there is a bug. No one else has reported this problem.

Thanks

Kati Compton
05-02-2003, 08:10 PM
The reason we only display 4 cities in the compressed mode instead of five is because we need space for the hazard weather alert, the arrows which control the ability to advance to the next city and to force a download and also the icon which forces a new theme to be loaded which matches your city

Again, I wonder if having a smaller font for the temperature #s would help.

(only available in Themes Edition of the application (go to www.rdfo.com/st/themes.htm for more information on this capability). FYI, here is a screen shot of the Themes Edition. http://www.rdfo.com/st/themes0011.gif

That looks really cool. But I'm only interested in the weather aspect, not the stocks. Will there be a themed version of WeatherToday only?

In the mean time, you can always tap on the first weather icon (when in compressed mode) to get a dialog box which has the full 5 day forecast.

For some reason, tapping in forecast mode doesn't work, but *double* tapping brings it up. BTW - on mine at least, the last line of the detailed text forcast is cut off. I see "Tap on this line for more", and only the top 2-3 pixels of the next line.

Regarding your last question, we will check into that to see if there is a bug. No one else has reported this problem.

It could be that the actual weather is just different from what was originally forecast.

VintageSlots
05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
That looks really cool. But I'm only interested in the weather aspect, not the stocks. Will there be a themed version of WeatherToday only?

We are considering this. For now, in order to get themes capability you need to purchase the Themes Edition, if you don't want/need stock functionality you can easily disable it.

It could be that the actual weather is just different from what was originally forecast.

Sounds reasonable.

For some reason, tapping in forecast mode doesn't work, but *double* tapping brings it up. BTW - on mine at least, the last line of the detailed text forcast is cut off. I see "Tap on this line for more", and only the top 2-3 pixels of the next line.

This does not make sense. We don't check/detect double taps. Are you sure the first tap is in the icon?

We have fixed the problem with the last line not showing properly. Go to www.rdfo.com/st (or www.rdfo.com/st/themes.htm) to get the latest version.

[quote=VintageSlots]
The reason we only display 4 cities in the compressed mode instead of five is because we need space for the hazard weather alert, the arrows which control the ability to advance to the next city and to force a download and also the icon which forces a new theme to be loaded which matches your city

Again, I wonder if having a smaller font for the temperature #s would help.

We have looked at smaller fonts and they just don't look good (to us anyway). We are looking at other options.

Kati Compton
05-02-2003, 10:07 PM

This does not make sense. We don't check/detect double taps. Are you sure the first tap is in the icon?

Yes. Actually, now that I've played with it a little more, it's just very inconsistent. Sometimes one tap. Sometimes it'll refuse to register at all, sometimes it takes several taps. Doesn't seem to be associated with any particular city. When handango is working again (I'm getting web errors), I'll get the registered version and see what happens. (I'm using a Dell Axim 400MHz btw, also running tAgenda and TodayCalendar)

VintageSlots
05-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Yes. Actually, now that I've played with it a little more, it's just very inconsistent. Sometimes one tap. Sometimes it'll refuse to register at all, sometimes it takes several taps. Doesn't seem to be associated with any particular city. When handango is working again (I'm getting web errors), I'll get the registered version and see what happens. (I'm using a Dell Axim 400MHz btw, also running tAgenda and TodayCalendar)

I would suggest going to our web page (www.rdfo.com/st) to get it since it is a more current version than what is on Handango. I assume your screen has been recently calibrated. If not, you might try that.

VintageSlots
05-09-2003, 06:05 AM

Load 4.19 is now available which allows you to select 0 in the timing field. This will prevent it from cycling until you select the manual advance icon.

In addition, all the embedded icons are now in .bmp files. This will allow you to replace our icons with your own icons.

4.19 is not available on Handango or Pocket Gear yet. However you can get it by going to www.rdfo.com/st. Themes edition also has this functionality. Go to www.rdfo.com/st/themes.htm for more information. 4.19 is a free upgrade for existing users of WeatherToday and StocksAndWeatherToday.

Thanks

ChrisW
05-09-2003, 04:40 PM
This is precisely what JournalBar does. And it gets world, national, local news, stocks, and some other junk, too, on its scrollable panes.

Kati Compton
05-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Load 4.19 is now available which allows you to select 0 in the timing field. This will prevent it from cycling until you select the manual advance icon.

Great - thanks!

Kati Compton
05-09-2003, 04:49 PM
This is precisely what JournalBar does. And it gets world, national, local news, stocks, and some other junk, too, on its scrollable panes.

I had installed JournalBar, but it doesn't have support for as many cities, so I went with WeatherToday.

VintageSlots
01-02-2004, 11:02 PM

Stocks and Weather Today's home page is at www.StocksAndWeatherToday.com

As long as you have a connection to the Internet it should be able to get the weather information. We have just released version 5.01 which has the following weather capabilities:

Display current weather for up to 6 cities
Display forecast for those cities
Display hazardous weather alerts for those cities (US only)
Display current time for those cities
An option to change the theme which matches the weather outside.

Here is a sample screen shot.

http://www.handango.com/pictures/120312/hdangothemes.gif

Ripper014
01-03-2004, 12:57 AM
I have a question... why are people not using Today Plus... this is a free app that does most of what most of you are asking for. There was a bit a problem with one of the lastest versions. But still it was free and you can fully customize it to your needs...

For those that are interested...

http://www.dark-mojo.com/todayplus/index.php

Mitchybums
01-05-2004, 12:23 AM
From the weather apps I played with, the thing I DO NOT like is that it doesnt realy fit in the looks of the today screen. An option to have smaller icons displaying the weather would be awesome.
Take a look at IP Dashboard for settings. I can remove the config buttons from the today screen, I can change fontsize, the network icon fits awesome inn the looks of the today screen. I want to be able to see in a quick glance wqhat the weather is gonna be, this coyuld be an option in the main icon for the plugin, 16x16 pix displaying the current weather status, then a one or 2 textline description, maybe changing with the days, and when I click on the plugin, it will popup a screen with the forcast and detailed info.

Then, it will be a true plugin app.
Same with a lot of other pugins, they are all so cluttered.
Do you guys actualy like the way Journal Bar looks together with the standard plugins on screen?
Yes, it adds functionality, but still, it DOES NOT fit in the clean look and functionality of the today screen.

sublime
01-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Save your money

TodayPlus is free

www.dark-mojo.com

It's a skinnable Today Plugin that gives you a five days of weather info, and other (OPTIONAL) cool things, too, like RNS feeds and launchers and stuff.

I used the weather only skin and was perfectly happy with it's appearance on the today screen (which, I might say, looks nicer than Weather Today).

TodayPlus.

Try it. It's free, and constantly being updated. You can even make your own skin if you're cool and smart. If not, go to the skin section of the forum and pick one that's right for you.

Dave Potter
01-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Save your money

TodayPlus is free

www.dark-mojo.com

It's a skinnable Today Plugin that gives you a five days of weather info, and other (OPTIONAL) cool things, too, like RNS feeds and launchers and stuff.

I used the weather only skin and was perfectly happy with it's appearance on the today screen (which, I might say, looks nicer than Weather Today).

TodayPlus.

Try it. It's free, and constantly being updated. You can even make your own skin if you're cool and smart. If not, go to the skin section of the forum and pick one that's right for you.

Hold on a second Sublime - didn't I read in another post on this forum that you were having problems with TodayPlus?

sublime
01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah

I forgot to mention that if you throw your pocket pc at a rock, TodayPlus will stop working. I wasn't sure if you were the type that throws pocket pcs at rocks, so I didn't mention it, since there are so few of us around. I'm also pretty sure that setting your pocket pc on fire will have the same (and other undesirable) results. Make sure you keep that in mind.

Dave Potter
01-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah

I forgot to mention that if you throw your pocket pc at a rock, TodayPlus will stop working. I wasn't sure if you were the type that throws pocket pcs at rocks, so I didn't mention it, since there are so few of us around. I'm also pretty sure that setting your pocket pc on fire will have the same (and other undesirable) results. Make sure you keep that in mind.

Cute - real cute. :pukeface2:

That's not the thread I meant. THIS (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) is the thread I meant.

sublime
01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Ohhh, that problem. I figured out that the problem occurred when I thought I was cool and smart and tried to configurate the skin. I then came to the realization that I'm not cool and/or smart. And no, that is not the reason why I throw PPCs at rocks.

pdaknut
01-07-2004, 02:51 AM
I have a question... why are people not using Today Plus... this is a free app that does most of what most of you are asking for. There was a bit a problem with one of the lastest versions. But still it was free and you can fully customize it to your needs...

For those that are interested...

http://www.dark-mojo.com/todayplus/index.php

Well, since you asked, I will tell you :D .

#1. TodayPlus requires .net to be installed (which takes up over a meg of memory). WeatherToday and Journal Bar do not need .net
#2. TodayPlus does not have an automatic install file. You need to manually unzip the file and then copy the .cab file to the PPC and then run it. WeatherToday and Journal Bar install automatically
#3. Once you install .net and copy the .cab file to the PPC and then run it, you need to run some program called TodayPlusConfig. Supposedly this thing allows you to configure the application. All I got was a spinning wheel for about 5 minutes and nothing ever came up. I think you then run yet another program called TodayPlus. When I ran TodayPlus all I got was a big white screen. I went to their web site and searched the forum but could not find anything to resolve this issue. WeatherToday and JournalBar work right off the bat.
#4. From reading the forum at their web site, it appears to get weather for a city you need to go to the config program, enter the zip code, it then give you some kind of data entry which must be manually entered somewhere else. WeatherToday and Journal Bar just let you enter the zip code and thats it. WeatherToday also allows you to enter the city, state name and it automatically figures out the zip code.

Sometimes free isn't free. I spent over an hour of my time trying to get TodayPlus to work and never did get it to work. Installing a bunch of crap (.net) that I don't need (right now) just sucks up valuable memory space.

The original post indicated there was a bit of a problem with the latest version but it is still free. IF THE THING DOESN"T WORK THEN WHAT GOOD IS IT EVEN IF IT IS FREE :devilboy: ???.

I would much rather pay 10 bucks for something that works right off the bat and I don't have to spend time searching forums to try and figure out what went wrong.

I have tried both Journal Bar and WeatherToday and for my needs WeatherToday (StocksAndWeatherToday actually) matches my needs (I want to track more than two cities (and also track several stocks) and don't want to use memory with movie reviews and other stuff).

After doing more research it also appears TodayPlus does not work behind a proxy. If true, how lame is that? I want to use this stuff at work.

Fortunately, I did a full backup before I started so I can do a hard reset and get all remnants of .net and TodayPlus off my PPC.

Ripper014
01-07-2004, 03:23 AM
I withdraw my support for Today Plus... it is a program that is fully configurable...and it really is not that difficult to set-up...

The requirement for .net is a new requirement that started on one of the more current versions.

The biggest thing that has been brought to light is that it is not "FREE" as was originally indicated. I am not sure how widespread it is but versions up to v0.098 have been crippled as of January 01' 2004. Version 0.10.2 has major issues that require a hard reset... and the current version is 0.11... but how long will that version work is anyones guess.

I believe that .net is bundled in wm2003....