View Full Version : New Qtek ROM Fixes SMS Problem, Creates new SMS Problem?!?

bjchantry
04-23-2003, 06:48 AM
I have just upgraded my Qtek 1010 Pocket PC Phone to ROM version 3.16.52 and Radio Version 3.23.01. As with any ROM upgrade, rather than doing a "restore" I use this time to do a whole new spring clean and fresh install. Before installing Paragon's SMS Name I decided to see if MS fixed the lack of name identification on SMS's for people in your contacts list and to my surprise/joy they have. With no Paragon installed it recognized and displayed the persons' name. But now there is a new problem, if you choose to reply, rather than just putting the phone number in the To: line like it did before, it also puts the contact's name and the phone number is between <>. Tried sending the SMS for grins and of course it couldn't. If you choose to send a contact an SMS through the add-in menu it works fine. Did someone even check this before they made the change? It makes me wonder what kind of beta testing is really used, or am I the only one that chooses "Reply" to reply on SMS's?

TopDog
04-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Where did you find that ROM-upgrade? I've been searching for it! A link pleeeeease :-)

bjchantry
04-23-2003, 12:06 PM
I had to get it straight from the distributor. Carrier Devices supplies it to the local distributor and then they are responsible for supplying it to the customers. I would recommend contacting the Qtek distributor for Norway. Hope this helps.

TopDog
04-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks, haven't bought one yet, but considering... and how to get the ROM upgrades seems like an important thing, since upgrading with a O2 or T-mobile upgrade would probably SIM-lock the phone!

redorange
04-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey bjchantry, I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you. Well, almost... I had Pocket PC on my 02 XDA, installed Paragons SMS fix ... and it worked well.
I have just had my XDA replaced... the new one has "ROM 3.16.32 ENG", and "RADIO 4.20")... and I am having the same problem... you can't reply to SMS messages as it thinks you are trying to send an email. As you say, I can send an sms normally, just not via "reply".
I've reported it to O2 XDA team and awaiting a reply. If you are aware of any fixes I'd be keen to hear.
I cant believe they fixed the original prob and then didnt test this *AGAIN* 8O
---
As a side note (an most likely unrelated) I cant seem to synchronise my "notes". Everything else syncs without a problem, but the notes continually fail (even if I remove all notes - I still get an error) ... thought I'd menion in case though seemingly unrelated, you'd experienced that too?
---
I'll post a reply here if I find a soloution. Be greatful if anyone else could too. THANKS :)

bjchantry
05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
I haven't had any problem with syncing my Notes, that being said I don't have many. I too can't believe the SMS issue was not checked or tested, looks like a quick fix to a problem without investigating it all the way.

redorange
05-02-2003, 09:46 PM

bjchantry
05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
I am not sure of it is O2's problem, I think it is Microsoft. I have a Qtek 1010, sure they are both made by HTC, but I have the same problem which indicates it may be a Microsoft issue and not an O2 issue. I know there was a lot of problems with the T-Mobile units due to "customized" software installed in the ROM, but this appears to be across the board. I agree though, how could it be missed, 1 SMS and they would have known!!

redorange
05-02-2003, 10:08 PM
You're right, it's not an O2 issue as such, but obviously they dont want to be selling products that dont work either.
Their tec advised that O2 have a relationship with HTC, and HTC with Microsoft, and that through that chain they can deal with faults and hopefully effect changes. I'm hopeful 8) The soloution, if a software patch isn't forthcoming, may be a radio/rom upgrade. I believe there is an incremental radio/rom change after the one I just received, and it may not have the fault.

moog999
05-06-2003, 09:47 PM
FYI and in case you already dont know the O2 Radio and Software upgrades are on the O2 website (o2.co.uk/xda) In the XDA software section its not too obvious but it is there. Read the instructions and all will be fine, dont and your XDA will most likley stop working :cry:

moog999
05-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Oh I should add this may not fix the problem we are discussing, check your ROM number first.

Secondly ONLY apply this upgrade if you have an O2 UK handset cause I dont know if it is the same upgrade the world over.

redorange
05-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks Moog... appreciate it, but the software I have on my XDA is actually a later version than the radio/rom upgrade they have on the 02 site. I'm not too sure about the idea of downgrading (although at least it works propely) it to a previous version