View Full Version : Sprint Vision and Pocket PC

jdavid
04-23-2003, 04:10 AM
Does anyone know if you had a Sprint phone with unlimited vision internet could you infared or bluetooth to your pocket pc and surf from there?

I just don't know if Sprint blocks you from doing that since I know they offer this $100 data plan for pocket pcs and laptops.

PetiteFlower
04-23-2003, 04:32 AM
You can do it via Gomadic cable with the LG 5350, Sprint doesn't have bluetooth phone yet and I don't think they have an IR capable phone either. But works great via the cable :)

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Sprint is slated to release a Bluetooth phone soon, but it's not clear what pricing plan you'll have to use. PF's method works using the low-cost unlimited plan. I'm not sure if that use is officially endorsed, though. Mind you, I believe only the LG 5350 (of all the Vision phones) has the serial port necessary to connect in this way.

--janak

PetiteFlower
04-23-2003, 02:18 PM
It's apparantly NOT officially endorsed, but they don't stop you from doing it either. If you're planning to be on 8 hours a day, every day, then that might attract their attention and they could yank your plan. But if you're going to use it a moderate amount, I don't think you'll have a problem.

And yes, the LG 5350 IS the only phone you can do this with.

Oh it also drains the battery of your phone fairly quickly, so if you're going away for the weekend or something and are going to use it often, make sure you bring your charger :)

dreampages
04-23-2003, 06:54 PM
You can get a $40 data plan for the connection cards as well. We sell plans from $40 on up for Sprint.

Larry

TheNewSteve
04-24-2003, 12:09 AM
I have read horror stories about sprint slowing the connections down to a halt for people that use data at higher rates than a phone could consistently and blocking ports for things like aol instant messenger.

i was very dissapointed with sprint as i bought the sanyo phone (1st vision set of phones to come out), the commercials had instant messaging as a feature, which i believe is still on "hold," after almost a year. the connection was horribly slow and you couldn't even browse the internet well enough to find movie times or anything. the news site was never updated and you couldn't view real html, every site must be encoded for sprint phones. there really wasn't that much you could do with them for $10/month.

i would be a little wary about using sprint to connect with the pocketpc as they want pocketpc users to purchase a large data plan that is not unlimited and is more than $10 a month. the $10/month/unlimited is stated in the contract as only applying to the phones.

Search this board's wireless and http://www.pocketpcpassion.com 's wireless board for sprint vision and you'll get some posts over the last year about peoples' experiences with this.

-Steve

PetiteFlower
04-24-2003, 12:58 AM
I have no problem using AIM on my PDA connected to my phone.

As for IM for Vision phones, it is still in development but it's being beta tested. I've been testing it, seems to be working pretty well so far. If you want to get involved with the beta program, go to www.airsoftwireless.com. It says they currently support all Vision phones except for Palm-based devices.

JJSOmaha
05-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Can someone please tell me how to dial into Sprint and NOT be charged for using the phone as a modem?

I received roughly $40 in charges for "WEB" usage and understood that I wouldn't recive any additional charges...can someone please help me.

Thanks...

PetiteFlower
05-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Did you try calling Sprint and asking them that? Usually the first thing I do when I see charges on my bill that I don't understand.

Do you have a Vision plan or a regular Sprint plan? Did you use the phone as a modem to dial an ISP or were you using the phone itself as the service provider? Were you connecting the phone to a PDA or were you browsing with the phone directly? What model of phone do you have?

That would be a start, if you answer those questions I might be able to give you some insight.

JJSOmaha
06-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Ok...for the "Casual Web Usage" charges, they said they'd waive those charges after the billing cycle is over.

I have an Unlimited Vision Plan...$10 extra a month on top of my regular 400 mintue plan.

I was using the phone to dial, what I thought was Sprint's service. I believe I typed in the wrong number to dial, which in turn brought upon the charges.

I have an LG 5350 phone.

davidmorrisw
06-05-2003, 03:19 AM
the number to dial is #777 i believe.

squeeze
07-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Can someone please tell me how to dial into Sprint and NOT be charged for using the phone as a modem?

Try #777 and use your vision name and password.

PetiteFlower
07-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Actually it should be #777 and NO user name or password....

How are you connecting your phone to your PDA? Do you have a gomadic cable or something?

squeeze
07-05-2003, 07:37 PM

PF -you may be correct. I failed to mention that my config was for the Sprint CF2031 Vision card. I dont use the Connection Manager software - I strictly usse the data portion only. I needed my user/pass to authenticate.

Thanks for the clarification.

squeeze
07-05-2003, 07:38 PM

PF -you may be correct. I failed to mention that my config was for the Sprint CF2031 Vision card. I dont use the Connection Manager software - I strictly usse the data portion only. I needed my user/pass to authenticate.

Thanks for the clarification.