View Full Version : 2 Qs: Journal on PPCPE and colors on XDA?

jproudfo
04-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Hey all,

I'm still trying to decide whether to go with an MS Smartphone or a PPCPE based device and I've come up with some more questions that I can't find the answer to...

- Is there any sort of Journal-like application for PPCPE? It doesn't matter if it is 3rd party. I'm just looking for an application, similar to Outlook's journal, that will automatically track my e-mails, phone calls, documents, etc. Is there something like this available?

- Has anyone had any problems with the limited color depth of the XDA devices? I've read that the screen is only 4,000 colors and I was just curious to know if anyone has experenced problems because of it (ie. with 3rd party applications). Is it even noticeable?

Also, if anyone has any more thoughts on Smartphone vs. PPCPE, I would love to hear them. I'm having trouble trying to compare the two and I haven't been able to find much online.

That's it! Thanks in advance.... :D

mberry
04-23-2003, 12:36 AM
I can only answer one of your questions... the one regarding the Journal app. www.crownlogic.com makes a nice 3rd party app called Pocket Journal. I have good and bad news regarding my use of this. First the applications is great, just what i needed. The tech support is sub-par (e.g. poor turn around time, not responsive to "nope that didnt work, what else you got?" responses from me.) HOWEVER (light at the end of the tunnel) there is a new version of pocket journal due out the first week in May (hopefully someone will review it). The bugs fixed page seemed to have everything i had a complaint against (i.e. creation and syncing of non standard journal types, solving blank page on NEW, etc, etc). So I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have several users using 3835s that it works on and a few users with 3950s and 1910S (that is doesnt work at all on... (see reason stated about blank page on NEW).

onepieceman
04-23-2003, 08:49 PM
The limited colour support isn't a problem for all apps except photo viewing. Then you notice it big time, but all is not lost. If you get an image viewing app which does "12 bit optimisation", for example PQView or PAlbum (though I'm sure there are others), then the photos become quite viewable, although obviously not as vibrant as on a screen that supports more colours.
I find the screen works very well in all environments, including bright sunlight.

Cortex
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
i think agenda fusion PIM has a journal option but i haven't used it...

the colors only are a problem with viewing pics and video -- you get some color aliasing. no problems with applications.

dMores
04-27-2003, 08:44 AM
i was turned off by the 4096 color screen, and decided to go for a loox + cellphone combination.

now my girlfriend has an MDA, and i must say i regret my choice.

i never use my pda to view photos, but when i do they're larger than 240x320 anyway (from digicam's SD card) which means they're crunched anyways, so it doesn't matter if there's less colors available because the preview quality is mediocre even on my 16-bit loox screen.

really, the color reduction greatly increases battery life, and don't let this be a turn-off for you.