View Full Version : 1910 SD cards

memal777
04-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Sorry if this has been debated to death before, but Im confused. :? I got my 1910 only 5 days ago. The form factor was the clincher & I dont really need a lot of power features. I would like to ask (forgive my ignorance) about the SD slot. Will it also take XD picture cards? Im considering a digital camera to use in conjunction with the 1910 when travelling, but a lot of models use other storage media than SD eg. smartmedia, memory stick, XD cards etc. I dont want my choice restricted to only cameras that use SD format.
Any advice gratefully accepted
Thanks, MR

Jacob
04-22-2003, 09:18 PM
The 1910 will take SD or Multimedia cards(I think that's their name - someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

From the look of an XD card(I only found a couple photos on the web) I don't think the 1910 would be able to handle it - looks like the card itself is too big.

Chima
04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
MR

Unfortunately, the XD card is different, and will not work on a 1910, or any other PDA that I know of, for that matter.

The simplest mainstream way of maintaing compatibility between a PDA and a digital camera would be getting a Toshiba e740/750 or a Dell Axim since these use CF cards without expansion devices.

XD cards are actually smaller, rather than bigger than SD cards though....

Chima

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 03:10 AM
The simplest mainstream way of maintaing compatibility between a PDA and a digital camera would be getting a Toshiba e740/750 or a Dell Axim since these use CF cards without expansion devices.
Of course, he's already bought a 1910. ;)

memal777, you want to avoid xD for now -- it has very little market penetration in the handheld device industry. As Chima implies, you could probably get a CF adapter, but I wouldn't bother -- get a decent-sized SD card. You can get some great discounts on PriceGrabber on our frontpage -- try typing in "128MB Secure Digital" and see what pops up, for example. (I bought my 512MB SD that way. :D)

XD cards are actually smaller, rather than bigger than SD cards though....
They look "squarer", though, and that's probably why they're perceived as bigger.

--janak

memal777
04-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that guys. I guess that means Im restricted to SD or multimedia. :( If anyone else has anything to add, feel free!

docnilay
04-24-2003, 06:37 AM
So if you've already got the 1910 (which I have, and LOVE)... then it comes to a camera. I just got the Casio Exilim, and they JUST announced a 3 megapixel version. It's a great camera, takes very good pictures (I've printed them at Costco, they look great), is VERY small, and uses SD memory cards. I actually bought a 256 MB SD card and then (for now) have been sharing the card between my camera and iPaq.

For the camera, the link is: http://exilim.casio.com/

- Nilay

Janak Parekh
04-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Yup, the Exilim is not a bad choice. I have the older EX-S2, and while it's not going to blow anyone away as the best digital camera ever, it's pretty solid and absolutely tiny.

One other choice is the Minolta DiMage X(i). It's a bit bigger but is supposed to be the best quality small camera. I believe it takes SD as well.

--janak

Crystal Eitle
04-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Yippee! I just ordered a Casio Exilim EX-M2. I can't wait to get it. I'm so glad to hear other people like theirs.

I just bought the Palbum suite on sale, too. I can't wait to pop the SD card out of my camera, put it in my PPC, and have a little photo album with me wherever I go.

That Exilim has got to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Nice to hear that it takes decent pictures, too! :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
04-24-2003, 03:50 PM
That Exilim has got to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Nice to hear that it takes decent pictures, too! :mrgreen:
Congrats. :) The only three real complaints I have about the camera is that it doesn't have optical zoom (no way they could squeeze a moving lens into something that thin), that it isn't great in dark environments (most digital cameras have a very tough time at that, and the Exilim is no exception), and no lens cover comes with the camera (I ended up buying one of the Exilim cases). It serves perfectly as a little point-and-shoot camera that you can throw into your pocket or bag and not notice it's there, and because the lens doesn't move, it's very fast to startup and has impressive battery life.

Out of curiosity, why'd you go for the M2 (as opposed to the S2)? I'd suspect you'd use the 1910 for MP3 playback, so did you get it for the movie + sound capture?

--janak

Crystal Eitle
04-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Out of curiosity, why'd you go for the M2 (as opposed to the S2)? I'd suspect you'd use the 1910 for MP3 playback, so did you get it for the movie + sound capture?

Yep. I had a different digital camera for a month that I returned because I wasn't happy with it, but during that time I took a ton of little 15-second movies. I go to a lot of rock concerts, so it's nice to have sound with the movies.

Also, I've seen pretty good reports about the battery life of the Exilim playing MP3s. I've got a lot of stuff on the storage card in my 1910, so, not much room for music. I'm thinking I can get two SD cards for the Exilim, one for music, and one for photos, have them with me at all times, and just swap 'em out according to what I'm using the camera for.

And I'd like to have a music player that I can take out running. I'd be too nervous to take my Pocket PC out running - afraid that I'd drop it - but I could totally see myself running with that itsy-bitsy Exilim.

Plus, the M2 model was only 50 bucks more.

memal777
04-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Ive also recently read a review of the Konica Revio 310Z which was very positive and takes SD. Decisions,decisions.....
Regards

Crystal Eitle
04-29-2003, 10:47 PM
I tried the Konica Revio 400Z for about a month and was not happy with it.

Depending on your needs, you might want to try the Pentax Optio S.

I also just found out that Vivitar makes a cheapie 2-megapixel camera with optical zoom that takes SD cards, but I don't know too much about it.

Andrew
04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Ive been using a mustek gsmart mini 2 for a long while now (www.mustek.com), while its not as advanced as some of the cameras being discussed here (doesnt even offer slots for memory cards) it is a good little point and shoot camera. Especially in the sense of something to throw in a bag or pocket and not worry about.

Sorry for going off topic...