View Full Version : TT or 1910 for law school?

binstpa
04-22-2003, 06:58 PM
I have had a Visor Deluxe and a Palm Vx which I have used for undergraduate school. For graduation my dad said he would get me any pda under $400. If I was to stay with palm I would get the TT and I think the 1910 is most compatible to my needs in terms of the PPC.

I don't need Wifi or camera or those type of things. I will be using the pim functions extensively and read extensively on it. I plan on having it for three years in law school but am wondering what one I should get.

I like the multimedia capabilities of the 1910 but am comfortable with the Palm. I am worried about crashes and losing data on the Ipaq. What opinions do you have?

PetiteFlower
04-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Depends what kind of multimedia capabilities you're looking for. If you just want audio, the 1910 is great for MP3s as long as you don't mind that the only option for memory is SD, and that the headphone jack is 2.5mm instead of standard size. If you're going to want an video capabilities, you'll do much better with the memory and processor power in the Dell Axim Advanced....from what I heard the 1910 isn't too great on video playback. You'll also get much better battery life, and a CF slot too :)

However, if it's essential that your PDA be as small as possible, then the 1910 might be your best choice, it IS very small and cute! It's all about what's more important to you--size or power. The Dell isn't THAT big, I carry mine in my pockets comfortably, and even though I have small hands it's comfortable to hold, but it's considerably bigger then the 1910 :)

Also from what I've heard, the TT is a POS. Isn't it also more then $400? You can get the same features and better quality from a PPC for the same price, especially if you don't need the wireless capabilities.

Jacob
04-22-2003, 08:13 PM
I've never had a problem with video on my 1910 - with an overclocking util even less. I've also seen many post that there isn't any problem - plus the screen rocks! :D

The Axim does have more expandability and if you want more options in storage and such then it would be the way to go.

Depends on what you are going to use it for. I don't like the Axim because of its size - I have put one in my jeans pocket and I found it uncomfortable to walk and sit down with it there. I'm the opposite of PetiteFlower in this - I have big hands and I felt it uncomfortable to hold an axim!

I'm not intending to just be contradictory or anything, I would suggest you go to a store and hold a 1910 and if possible find a way to hold an Axim and play around with the two.

If you're just looking for audio and PIM functions then the 1910 would probably do.

I've heard the Axim is very reliable and the 1910 has been very reliable for me - so data loss and crashing shouldn't be a major concern for you with these devices.

spursdude
04-22-2003, 11:40 PM
I am worried about crashes and losing data on the Ipaq. What opinions do you have?
This isn't your fault in any way, but this is a very common and very false misconception of the PPC. I've had my Audiovox Maestro for over a year now - I've never had a single data loss. Never. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I've needed to do a soft reset. Perhaps this was true with earlier versions of the operating system, but it's not true anymore. Pocket PC is perfectly fine and stable; and if your PPC does freeze up, most likely a soft reset (which takes 15 seconds) will fix all of your problems.

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 03:14 AM
Also from what I've heard, the TT is a POS. Isn't it also more then $400?
I believe they've cut the price, as $499 was way too overpriced. It's not a terrible unit, although a fair number of them have had dust issues (nowhere near the 568, but it's a reflective display, and they're generally more prone to trapping dust in the first place).

You can get the same features and better quality from a PPC for the same price, especially if you don't need the wireless capabilities.
And, as you imply, if you need the wireless capabilities, you can get an Axim plus a Bluetooth or a WiFi card for less than $400, and probably less than a T|T, anyway. :D

--janak

Stephen Beesley
04-23-2003, 01:42 PM
For me the question that you should be asking yourself is whether a 1910 is going to fulfill your needs in a year from now. With the next version of PPC OS likely to be bigger than the current one (look at the 48 meg roms that are in the Axim and the new HPs) it is unlikely that you would be able to fully upgrade a 1910. Of course if you are not too fussed about having the latest then that might not bother you.

On using a PPC when studying law - one of the things I found most useful was a Stowaway keyboard for taking notes in Lectures (much better than lugging around a laptop and battling for a power point!). I guess both the TT and the 1910 (and other PPCs) would be fine for that. There is a very useful ebook reader called Ubook (http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_down_nf.html)

which can read PRC, RTF and HTML and other formats as ebooks. I have found this really useful for reading notes etc and stuff downloaded from the net for study.

I guess none of that really goes to the question of which PDA, but I used a HP 568 which is about the same size as the Axim and I am looking to get an Axim advance soon. I never found the size to be an issue.

Goldtee