View Full Version : iPaq Mods

bdegroodt
04-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Has anyone taken their case off their iPaq and painted it a different color than its original silver? I have a 3975 that's getting long in the tooth and I'm thinking about making it my experimental lab.

Is there such a thing as model paint that is "chip/scratch resistant?" Do you need a spary gun to get the paint on professionally? Would it be better to just take it to someone and let them paint the case?

Crystal Eitle
04-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Cool idea! What color are you thinking of?

bdegroodt
04-22-2003, 05:55 PM

Not sure just yet. Black comes to mind. If I got good at it, maybe I could change colors monthly :D

Janak Parekh
04-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Not sure just yet. Black comes to mind. If I got good at it, maybe I could change colors monthly :D
... or go into business. "PPC Case Techs!" :mrgreen:

--janak

bljarv
04-22-2003, 06:35 PM

I can see it now...a Pocket PC the size of a house brick from layers and layers of paint. :lol:

bdegroodt
04-22-2003, 06:49 PM

I can see it now...a Pocket PC the size of a house brick from layers and layers of paint. :lol:

It's funny you say that. I'm sure I can get any paint I add onto it off, but I was a little concerned as I looked at how closely aligned some parts of the case are about what an additional layer of paint would do to the seal.

Surely I can't be the first person interested in doing this. I know some hack has proceeded me and would love to share the "gotchas!"

barky81
04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
What about this new Krylon Fusion (http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_product_detail.asp?sgID=GP07)? It's s'posed to "bond to plastic."

...Is there such a thing as model paint that is "chip/scratch resistant?"...

bdegroodt
04-22-2003, 08:27 PM
What about this new Krylon Fusion (http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_product_detail.asp?sgID=GP07)? It's s'posed to "bond to plastic."

...Is there such a thing as model paint that is "chip/scratch resistant?"...

Interesting idea. I was thinking of something that could give you more control. Maybe an airbrush. I'll have to hunt around the city to see if there's some mega hobby shop here.

Janak Parekh
04-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Interesting idea. I was thinking of something that could give you more control. Maybe an airbrush. I'll have to hunt around the city to see if there's some mega hobby shop here.
Not "if", "where". :D

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

--janak

bdegroodt
04-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Not "if", "where". :D

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

--janak

Good point Janak. Every hobby shop I have found in the city has been just a mess. Like walking into some hobbiest's extra bedroom. Junk everywhere, dust etc. Where's corporate Amercia when you need them?

barky81
04-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Every hobby shop I have found in the city has been just a mess. Like walking into some hobbiest's extra bedroom. Junk everywhere, dust etc. Where's corporate Amercia when you need them?

Tower Hobbies (http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html), that's where...

But, THIS (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/features/story/0,24330,3375489,00.html) might be what you really wanted (advice-wise, anyway).

bdegroodt
04-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Every hobby shop I have found in the city has been just a mess. Like walking into some hobbiest's extra bedroom. Junk everywhere, dust etc. Where's corporate Amercia when you need them?

Tower Hobbies (http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html), that's where...

But, THIS (http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/features/story/0,24330,3375489,00.html) might be what you really wanted (advice-wise, anyway).

Thanks Barky. I'd love to find a place like that here in NYC. New stuff usually requires me to put my hands on it to really get if I like it/can use it. Nice article from TTV.

andrewlwood
04-23-2003, 03:44 PM
I had a friend who worked for Porsche - his company did a family day out where you could hand in your cellphone and have it resprayed with Porsche paint.

Now THAT was cool (in the days when cellphones were black or black).

I reckon a custom bodyshop place or a good mountain bike shop would be happy to take you on, if you didn't fancy doing it yourself

Mitch D
04-25-2003, 12:02 AM
This idea makes me wish I had a spare iPaq case that I could play with... hmmm.. We do have that broken 3850 sitting at work... (insert very evil thoughts :idea: :devilboy: )

docnilay
04-25-2003, 01:53 AM
I noticed you were in New York city... how about Pearl Paint down on Canal Street? (Unless of course, you're avoiding Chinatown for fear of SARS)....

- Nilay

Pony99CA
04-26-2003, 03:06 AM
This idea makes me wish I had a spare iPaq case that I could play with... hmmm.. We do have that broken 3850 sitting at work... (insert very evil thoughts :idea: :devilboy: )
Maybe the guy in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=106194#106194) I started would give you his case. :rofl:

Steve

bdegroodt
04-26-2003, 05:10 PM
I noticed you were in New York city... how about Pearl Paint down on Canal Street? (Unless of course, you're avoiding Chinatown for fear of SARS)....

- Nilay

Thanks! No fears of SARS here. Is that a hobby shop or is it just paint store? Anything better about it than your average corner hardware store here?

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 05:25 PM
You've never heard of Pearl Paint (www.pearlpaint.com)? 8O I thought you would have checked it first. It's the largest store in NYC in its breed. ;) Not sure it'll have what you need, but you should certainly check it out (or at least the URL I supplied above).

--janak

bdegroodt
04-26-2003, 05:27 PM
You've never heard of Pearl Paint (www.pearlpaint.com)? 8O I thought you would have checked it first. It's the largest store in NYC in its breed. ;) Not sure it'll have what you need, but you should certainly check it out (or at least the URL I supplied above).

--janak

Thanks Janak. That's the thing I love most about this city. Everything you could ever ask for and it's at worst a 20 minutes subway ride away. My fiance and I volunteer at a homeless shelter down that way. Next time we go, I'll make some extra time to check it out.

bdegroodt
04-26-2003, 05:33 PM
I've been thinking that maybe just painting the case a different color is only a start. I bet there would be an interesting after market waiting to happen for people that want to "express" themselves. Maybe company logos, sports team logos, comic book heros, Strawberry Shortcake etc. Somebody with some time on their hands and a knack for doing this kind of work could probably make a little mint ala Silver Slider/George M.