View Full Version : Going on vacation with my pocket pc..

arglebargle
04-21-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm heading out for a month-long :D vacation through the UK (I'm US based). I'm bringing along my axim (and my wife's bringing her hand-me-down maestro). I've loaded up a couple mondo CF cards with movies and audiobooks for the flights and drives. I have mapopolis and tomtom GPS maps for the UK.

Since it would probably kill me to be completely unwired, I have some connectivity questions. Some of the bigger city hotels say they have either "laptop jacks" or just "internet access". I'm assuming I'll need to get me an ethernet CF adapter but I'm not sure if I'll need my own ISP or what. If so, are there any UK or multi-national ISP's that you recommend? I would only need them for vacation purposes only.

I'm also going to stay at a number of bed & breakfasts and small hotels that don't have internet access. How does the phone/dialup situation work in the UK (especially regarding hotel phones)?

I've also never sync'ed remotely either--is it possible?

If you have any other mobile tips I'd love to hear them too..

Thanks for and and all advice.

ArgleBargle

Pony99CA
04-21-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm heading out for a month-long :D vacation through the UK (I'm US based).

Since it would probably kill me to be completely unwired, I have some connectivity questions. Some of the bigger city hotels say they have either "laptop jacks" or just "internet access". I'm assuming I'll need to get me an ethernet CF adapter but I'm not sure if I'll need my own ISP or what. If so, are there any UK or multi-national ISP's that you recommend? I would only need them for vacation purposes only.
The hotel access I've heard about wants to make money off of you. At the Le Meridien in Pune, India, the fee was $10 per day (if I recall correctly). You were given a URL and entered some information, then had access for the day. There was no need for your own ISP, as you went through theirs.

If you really want to know more, you should contact the places where you'll be staying and ask specifically what you'll need and how much access will cost.

Steve