View Full Version : iPAQ 2200 Available Around May 30?

Ed Hansberry
04-21-2003, 05:00 PM
<a href="http://brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_h2200_Series_Coming_May_30">http://brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_h2200_Series_Coming_May_30</a><br /><br />It seems Brighthand has been doing some sleuthing on the iPAQ 2200 and the FCC approval of the device.<br /><br />"In late March, the FCC gave its approval for Hewlett Packard to begin offering a new line of Pocket PCs, at least one of which will have built-in Bluetooth wireless networking. A few days ago, High Tech Computer, the company making the device for HP, sent a message to the FCC asking that the approval documentation be taken down because the devices won't be available for some time...Plus, the FCC posted the exact request for confidentiality on its site, which reveals what might be the release date for these handhelds. The letter says, "because these two products are still confidential to market until May 30, please set aside the FCC grant." Later it says, "please also un-set aside these two grant[s] so that the information is back on the FCC website on May 30."<br /><br />There are <a href="http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?threadid=77311">also reports</a> from those that have had some hands-on time with the device that it has the Pocket PC 2003 OS on it.<br /><br />If all of this is true, let us hope that HP/Compaq learned from the mistake of 2000 which had severely underestimated demand for the original iPAQ 3600 in the May-June timeframe. Small package, SDIO slot, CF slot, bluetooth, and a new Pocket PC OS! What more could one want? :D

Ainvar
04-21-2003, 05:15 PM
That would be reallt nice to have by the end of May. Of all the PPCs I have played with and read about. iPAQs seem to tbe the best of them and the Axim is right under the iPAQ. From the 2 Toshibas (e740 and e550G) and then the ever trusty iPAQ 3855. I am wanting to go back to the iPAQ series just with some improvements and sd and cf slots.

Hopefully this will be the answer some of us have been looking for in a sturdy PDA.

Looxer
04-21-2003, 05:37 PM
It will be very interesting to see how it will play in the market. I don’t believe it will be compatible with any of the available expansion sleeves, I presume HP won’t make a mistake of killing its own product lines such as the H5400 series. The iPAQ h2200 will be special with its CF card slot! That’s the idea I think

mclaughlinc
04-21-2003, 05:37 PM
I for one am looking for more information on Pocket PC 2003. I am surprised it's being leep such a secret. If we are really this close to the launch you would think we would have more details by now. The problem I have is as a developer we are at a stand still until we find out what MS is doing.

Like the rest of you and just can't wait to see what's next both on the device side and the OS.

Corey

Chris Spera
04-21-2003, 05:38 PM
What more could one want? :D

A ROM update with the new OS for existing iPAQ's (like the 3900 and the 5400..?)

Just a thought...

Christopher Spera

Paragon
04-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Well if this is true, then the next few weeks are going to be very busy. I would assume that Microsoft is going to pull the strings on the release of anything with PPC 2003 as they have done in the past....MS announces the latest version and at the same time everyone officially announces their new devices running that version.

Ed, you made a good point on availability. This is going to be a very popular device.

I'm willing to bet that Dell will show us what is up their sleeve at the same time.....let the games begin! :)

Dave

Jonathan1
04-21-2003, 05:45 PM
If all of this is true, let us hope that HP/Compaq learned from the mistake of 2000 which had severely underestimated demand for the original iPAQ 3600 in the May-June timeframe. Small package, SDIO slot, CF slot, bluetooth, and a new Pocket PC OS! What more could one want? :D

The definition of what a small package is is relative. Its as thick as my Jornada 568 and even then I consider that to big :? I personally don't care what they fit into the package. Be it a WIFI, bluetooth, or a site to site transporter. Size first. Features second. (With the exception of the CPU speed.)

As for PPC2003 I've stopped caring once again. It looks as if its Pocket PC 2002a. *shrugs* At least my existing software will work on it.

ombu
04-21-2003, 05:48 PM
There's a CF slot, nice whenever it comes out, just hope it will be able to handle the HP pocket digital cam, my brand loyalty would be healed somehow.

Regards.

dochall
04-21-2003, 06:11 PM
I for one am looking for more information on Pocket PC 2003. I am surprised it's being leep such a secret. If we are really this close to the launch you would think we would have more details by now. The problem I have is as a developer we are at a stand still until we find out what MS is doing.

Like the rest of you and just can't wait to see what's next both on the device side and the OS.

Corey

We're not necessarily that close to launch. If HTC are willing to go for the May 30/2nd June announcement then it may be that the unit may ship some time after that. The Osbourne example has been used on this site before but it very relevant.

The announcement of a new OS version will kill sales of the existing stock for all but the most ill informed, or desperate. Any OEM isn't going to want their stock sitting on the shelves as people don't buy while they wait for the new version of the os.

That's why MS are so keen on NDA's. Early release of information can harm them as well as harming their OEMs.

I would like to see:

- the driver memory problems resolved
- repreating and RELIABLE alarms

above all else. If they sort these out I'll be happy with 2003 and I may even get around to upgrading my 3870.

The 2200 looks interesting. I am tempted as I am keen on Wifi but would like to see what they announce for the 5450 series at the same time.

AZMark
04-21-2003, 06:19 PM
I for one am looking for more information on Pocket PC 2003. I am surprised it's being leep such a secret.

Corey

MS just has a wonderful way of rounding up everyone who just might gossip about a new product, taking them out to lunch, then signing them to a NDA. Which is why any good news agency or reporter would never sign an NDA.

mscdex
04-21-2003, 06:23 PM
I thought the 2200 was the iPaq with the foldout keyboard similar to the stowaway xt built in, and could act as an hpc-type device or could be folded over to act as a regular ppc. :roll:

Jason Dunn
04-21-2003, 06:27 PM
I for one am looking for more information on Pocket PC 2003. I am surprised it's being leep such a secret. If we are really this close to the launch you would think we would have more details by now.

That should tell you about how close it really is (or isn't).

The problem I have is as a developer we are at a stand still until we find out what MS is doing.

Ah, but that's what MDC is for! Everyone who went got a Pocket PC 2003 SDK.

mclaughlinc
04-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Ah, but that's what MDC is for! Everyone who went got a Pocket PC 2003 SDK.[/quote]

From what I have seen amost Pocket PC developers are very small. With that said not all developers could pay the fee to attend and still spend money on new development projects. For us the latter won out.

I know I was surprise to find out how much companies really make off selling Pocket PC apps. It's not as much as people would think.

But your are right if we had been there we would have gotten it. Do you know of another place to get our hands on it?

Thanks,

Timothy Rapson
04-21-2003, 06:53 PM
This must be the best known model ever not yet released.

When did Brighthand first write about it? Last October? Now we know practically every detail but the color of the retail box and it won't be out for another month. I remember when the Jornada 548 was shown by mistake via a picture in Computer Shopper and it was like HP was melting down over the secrecy breach.

I wonder when the PPC manufacturers will get to the point desktop mfgs once did and start offering models based huge software bundles?

In any case, the lack of built-in cameras, or higher res make these new models less interesting these days. To sell at 2-10 times current volume the PPCs would all have to be $100-200 and short of that, I think Dell is the only mfg that is going anywhere new (into new markets, not new features). These are all kind of a boring "Attack Of 1000 Clones" models. In fact, the 2200 looks so much like a E700 series, I don't know how consumers will be able to pick one or the other.

mc_03
04-21-2003, 07:10 PM
I really hope HP and Dell will sell/give out (fat chance!) Pocket PC 2003 updates for those of us who don't upgrade our PDAs every time a new one comes out! I don't see any reason why the Axim (advanced, probably basic too) and iPaqs 5450 and 3900s would not be able to upgrade.

Don Tolson
04-21-2003, 07:27 PM
This must be the best known model ever not yet released.

When did Brighthand first write about it? Last October? Now we know practically every detail but the color of the retail box and it won't be out for another month. I remember when the Jornada 548 was shown by mistake via a picture in Computer Shopper and it was like HP was melting down over the secrecy breach.

I think the fact we haven't seen a 'meltdown' from HP is just the good ole' development of marketing 'buzz' around this new product. If it truly is targetting a May 30th release (which, based on what I saw on Brighthand, is a pretty good bet), then this is perfect timing for them.

I, too, was anxiously awaiting this new box from HP, but since I haven't heard anything more about an integrated folding keyboard, or landscape screen display, my ardour is somewhat waning. It appears like it will simply be a 'stripped down' version of the 5400 series. Have to admit tho, having both CF and SD/MMC slots will be great.

snowlion
04-21-2003, 07:39 PM
this system of naming a release after a year is the single most biggest marketing idea (and conversely the single most scourge on the retail customer).

pocketpc 2003 would otherwise be numbered 1.2...and someone who has 1.1 or even 1.0 would not think too much about upgrading to 1.2 - i've seen what 2003 includes and really it's not that much.

but name a release after a year...and everyone running a software named anything in the past thinks his software will not work now...like literally running last years software...gotta upgrade to this year.

bull!

D.psi
04-21-2003, 09:33 PM
snowlion wrote
but name a release after a year...and everyone running a software named anything in the past thinks his software will not work now...like literally running last years software...gotta upgrade to this year.

Yeah, reminds me of when I upgraded my Jornada 430SE to Jornada 548... Both came with a version of Image Expert CE. I made the mistake of installing the 430 version on my 548... The only apparent difference was the location of the menus in the window (top versus bottom). The application still ran.

D.psi

Kevin Daly
04-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm very much hoping that the Win CE API has been made XScale-aware (in which case there should be performance benefits without developers having to break backward compatibility by targeting the new processors directly).

huangzhinong
04-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Pocketpc 2003 Seems only promising for Developer, I didn't see any good for consumers.

_____transfered from brighthand
Found!: detailed list of Pocket PC 2003 features
Found this on usenet. The author says "it's just what I've been told recently without any NDA's involved, and I don't know if it is 100% accurate."

Notably, native support for landscape mode (without reset) is not listed. :-( Bean receive? Probably meant beam :-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...t.oce.nl&rnum=7

PocketPC 2003:

Secure WiFi (802.1x) support
Zero Configuration
New user interface
Native Bluetooth Stack
OS stack
DUN, object push, serial port profiles
Radio shut down
OTA configuration manager
Enhanced Keyboard Support
Single user mode for input and navigation
Inbox, SMS, instant messenger

Features
Optimized contacts search
Auto menu accelerators
Hardware buttons mapping
"Always Up-to date" Sync
Improved scheduled sync
"Titanium" SMS notifications
Messaging services enhancements
SMS: Contacts name lookup and direct call back
MMS plug-in (native to inbox
New Connection Manager!!!!
Quick Search in Contacts (just start typing to search)
Power management with unattended apps
Email signatures
Improved time-zone handling
Autocorrect and autosuggest
Text readability (gradients)
Vcard and vcal support
Today/Homescreen plug-in divided for multiple mail accounts
Color weekend appointements in calendar.
Scrollable summary and attendees list in calendar
Contacts View by company department
Free appointments don't show conflicts with other calendar events.
Call forwarding improvements
One-touch access to vmail
Network selection UI
Cert management UI
Bean receive improvements
Secure WAP Proxy
New Connectivity notifications
Support for WinCE v4.2
Increased stability and reliability
Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) /
IP Security Protocol (IPSec)
IPv6
Exposed in pIE, Messenger, Inbox, Sync, WMP
Apps enabled within mixed mode (v6/v4) networks

New hardware support
Low cost memory with NAND
Pendant bus support
WMP hardware assisted decode supported
API's
Networking and communications APIs
e.g. SMS interception API
Menu extensibility in PIM apps, phone dialer, call history, speed dial
Application signing
Certificate store and enrollment & management UI
Ability to revoke all apps from a specific developer
Add platform version for app install

Tools
New managed code development
.NET CF in ROM
Smart Device Extensions moves to Visual Studio .NET

Sheynk
04-21-2003, 11:54 PM
BAH!

I just got my e755

wait...I have the same specs but 802.11b instead of bluetooth.....hmm.... wonder if microsoft gonna gimme the upgrade

Foo Fighter
04-22-2003, 12:22 AM
New user interface

I thought PPC 2003 wasn't going to have a "new" UI.

mc_03
04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
the scrollbars, tabs and menu bars are now tan instead of grey ;)

Could that be considered a new GUI?

Foo Fighter
04-22-2003, 02:05 AM
the scrollbars, tabs and menu bars are now tan instead of grey ;)

Could that be considered a new GUI?

LOL! Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Truly a revolutionary new UI! :lol:

Jason Dunn
04-22-2003, 02:20 AM
I for one am looking for more information on Pocket PC 2003. I am surprised it's being leep such a secret.

Corey

MS just has a wonderful way of rounding up everyone who just might gossip about a new product, taking them out to lunch, then signing them to a NDA. Which is why any good news agency or reporter would never sign an NDA.

I don't know if you really understand what you're saying. :wink: I remember being at the press launch of the original Pocket PC back in early April, and I can assure you that every major site was there (CNET, Wall Street Journal, etc.) and they all signed press embargos. That's the only way you get advance hardware & software so you can have reviews ready for launch date...

Fishie
04-22-2003, 03:48 AM
Jason is right, just about every company works with NDA´s and sometimes even witouth signing in good trust, if you break that trust youre done for.
This is not MS strongarming the press or anything, its standard practice.
Serves another purpose as well, the internet is immediate while print publications have a lead time, this way press releases can be better co ordinated as well.

gdenerval
05-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm not waiting for it: I'll get the Acer N10 instead when I'm in Singapore next week. It's a sweet machine [http://www.acer.com.my/news/n10_news.asp], and at least in Singapore it's available with English OS, not Chinese. The plastic shell I can live with. I'll post a report on it after I get it.

Crystal Eitle
05-05-2003, 07:39 PM
I'm not waiting for it: I'll get the Acer N10 instead when I'm in Singapore next week. It's a sweet machine [http://www.acer.com.my/news/n10_news.asp], and at least in Singapore it's available with English OS, not Chinese. The plastic shell I can live with. I'll post a report on it after I get it.

Oooh, pretty! (It kinda looks like the PPC in the logo of Pocket PC Thoughts!) And it has dual slots. My next Pocket PC :worried: is definitely going to have dual slots.

The site says it's "affordable." Any idea what the price is?

kagayaki1
05-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Oooh, pretty! (It kinda looks like the PPC in the logo of Pocket PC Thoughts!) And it has dual slots. My next Pocket PC :worried: is definitely going to have dual slots.

The site says it's "affordable." Any idea what the price is?

Supposedly around $400, but to be sure they're going to segment it a little. We'll probably see a model with 64MB and a 128MB RAM model. Just the buzz on the net. I've heard about 128MB forever now, but with a recent Japanese PPC having the option, it's just around the corner.

-Jason