View Full Version : Is it possible to have files or folders that do NOT hotsync?

Guntram
04-20-2003, 04:44 PM
Hello All,

I use my pocket PC at home and at work. I don't really want the network admins of the company to know everything about my personal life through my hotsyncing (subsequently leaving a copy on the corporate PC).

Is it possible to set up a folder on the PDA into which I can dump files that I do not want to hotsync with my PC at work? (I don't mind if that means it doesn't hotsync at home, either - I'd be fine accessing that folder manually.)

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

Best,
Guntram

davidspalding
04-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Put a folder at the device root, instead of under \my documents\. This will continue to use your RAM, of course.

Also.... If you have removable memory, put folders under \storage card\my documents\ (create it if you don't have one), then Pocket Wordpad, P-Excel, et al, will find the docs there.

I think you can also choose not to sync particular files under ActiveSync's Files options, on your computer at work, but I haven't tested this myself. Also, you would have to do this for each new file placed into \my documents\, which would be a drag.

Another, rather sly trick: try hacking the registry to move your \[mobile device name] my documents\ folder on your work pc to ... a zip disk that you could lock up at the end of the day? I wouldn't know how to change that, either.

Guntram
04-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Great ideas. Thanks very much for the quick reply, David. And Happy Easter / Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Guntram

davidspalding
04-20-2003, 05:43 PM
You're very welcome. BTW, I use Ghisler.com's Total Commander CE, a very good File Explorer alternative. Using the virtual two-window mode, you can have one window open to \my documents\ and another open to, say, the \Docs\ which you can create in RAM (and isn't synced). Moving, or copying, files from one spot to another, would be mega-easy.

Pony99CA
04-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Another, rather sly trick: try hacking the registry to move your \[mobile device name] my documents\ folder on your work pc to ... a zip disk that you could lock up at the end of the day? I wouldn't know how to change that, either.
Fortunately, I think I figured it out. I even posted it in the "Two PPCs, One desktop. How to Sync files folder?" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11252&start=3). :-)

Steve