View Full Version : Music

DrtyBlvd
04-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey - following on from the MP3 thread - where Chicagos' 25 0r 6 to 4 is explained - reminded me of something new I learnt the other day regarding the old Genesis track, Abacab?

I never knew why it had such a 'strange' title - but apparently it's the 'chords' used in the chorus :?: A B A C A B ?

True or false? Anyone got any other gems like this? The one that has always bugged me that doesn't have an explanation (as far as I am aware) is Phil Collins' "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" - always wondered what that and the lyrics was all about...

Pony99CA
04-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Hey - following on from the MP3 thread - where Chicagos' 25 0r 6 to 4 is explained - reminded me of something new I learnt the other day regarding the old Genesis track, Abacab?

I never knew why it had such a 'strange' title - but apparently it's the 'chords' used in the chorus :?: A B A C A B ?

True or false? Anyone got any other gems like this? The one that has always bugged me that doesn't have an explanation (as far as I am aware) is Phil Collins' "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" - always wondered what that and the lyrics was all about...
Regarding those Chicago lyrics, it would have been nice if you'd posted a link. :? I've been curious about those lyrics, too, and had to do three searches to find the "An Internet Music Plan I Can Live With" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11523&start=23) (which I wouldn't have called "an MP3 thread"; maybe a "music plan thread").

As for "ABACAB", from the time the song came out, I've heard that was the set of chords used, as you said.

Steve

DrtyBlvd
04-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Nothing like feeling the reward of effort hey Steve? :lol:

Shall do in future. :wink:

Jason Dunn
04-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Phil Collins' "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" - always wondered what that and the lyrics was all about...

Go check this out (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm). That doesn't, however, really tell you what the song is about...like the work of many artists, it's about whatever you feel it's about. :D

UPDATE: It's nice to see snopes.com is now accepting donations. Toss 'em a few bucks - what a great site!

DrtyBlvd
04-20-2003, 08:01 PM
8O

Never heard that one. Strange lyrics not to have a tale to though... anyone know about the 'Hotel California' one? Can't find that at snopes - which is a great site huh?!

Pony99CA
04-21-2003, 02:06 AM
anyone know about the 'Hotel California' one? Can't find that at snopes - which is a great site huh?!
Hotel California was about a real mental institution.

Steve

DrtyBlvd
04-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Any supporting evidence Steve?

Pony99CA
04-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Any supporting evidence Steve?
No, it's something I heard a long time ago.

However, a search on :google: using "Hotel California" lyrics meaning turned up this bit of information (http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000594.html).

Steve

PetiteFlower
04-21-2003, 05:23 AM
A couple of years ago I stumbled across a web site where a guy tried to assert that the lyrics to American Pie, were really about politics, communism/Kennedy/McCarthy, that stuff. I have no idea where it was. It was a fascinating explanation but of course completely NOT what Don McLean had in mind!

Everyone knows that the Devil is Mick Jagger right?

Brad Adrian
04-21-2003, 05:41 AM
Along those same lines, I remember last year when my teenage sons began to listen to Lenny Kravitz's remake of "American Woman." I always really liked the original version, so I asked my sons what they thought the song was about...

"Some skanky American woman, I guess."

When I told them that it is a deeply symbolic protest song about American expansion and imperialism and that it referred mostly to the Viet Nam war, they didn't believe me.

*sigh* Kids these days...

Brad Adrian
04-21-2003, 05:43 AM
...the lyrics to American Pie, were really about politics, communism/Kennedy/McCarthy, that stuff...
It's a great song, but really, what the heck IS it about, anyway?

Pony99CA
04-21-2003, 06:00 AM
...the lyrics to American Pie, were really about politics, communism/Kennedy/McCarthy, that stuff...
It's a great song, but really, what the heck IS it about, anyway?
The death of Buddy Holly and the rise of rock & roll. "The day the music died" was about the death of Buddy Holly (and Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper) in a plane crash. The Jester was either the Beatles or Elvis. As mentioned, the Devil was Mick Jagger ("Jack Flash sat on a candlestick").

Or so I've heard. :-)

UPDATE: A search on :google: for (you guessed it) "American Pie" lyrics meaning turned up an FAQ on it (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/american-pie/). Apparently the Jester is Bob Dylan, although many think it's Elvis, and Elvis is the King.

Steve

PetiteFlower
04-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Yup, the Jester is Bob Dylan, the girl who sang the blues is Janis Joplin, the birds are The Byrds......one of the verses is about the Hell's Angels/Rolling Stones incident too. The Beatles are "the quartet practiced in the park" I think. I had most of it figured out at one point.