View Full Version : Thinking about voice over IP, any sugestions?

DavidRoss
04-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Hello, I’m moving next week into a new house in a new state... and so, i have to get new services for everything... internet, phone... ect.

So I’m thinking about trying to set up a voice over IP phone system. ill be moving into a two bedroom apartment, so I don’t need anything vast... perhaps two phone... and a service of some sort.

My questions are...

What is the advantage over going with a regular phone service, beside it being cooler? (I like the idea of having things integrated)

And the big one, what are the costs? I have been doing google searches, and have found very IP phones, but they all seem to be for the corporate environment. Is this technology not ready for home use?

thanks for your advice.

DavidRoss
04-20-2003, 01:34 AM
iv found Vantage.... www.vonage.com it seems good, and the only system that seems designed for both business and home use. and i can use any phone with it, i don’t need to buy an IP phone.

It would seem the advantages are numerous over regular telephone service. with pricing plans starting at 25 dollars. but there seems to be one draw back, you can experience lag. since this would mostly be for home use. i don’t think that would be to much of a problem.

has anyone had experience with them?

eternalblue
04-20-2003, 06:33 AM
A lot of people i know who have moved out recently don't have and landlines hooked up to thier apartments. A cell phone would generally suffice in this case (Although I can't say I've ever heard of many people using VoIp phones, in fact I don't know of any at all.) From my understanding of it is: what's the point of having to pay for two separate phone lines when you'll be out for 8 - 12+ hours a day, almost everyday? so anyone with a regular 9-5 job might find a cell phone with unlimited evenings/weekends quite handy.

The only drawback however would be that when guests try to "buzz" into the apartment for entry, the person inside the apartment can't "buzz" them in because they don't hear the phone ringing as they do not have a landline phone hooked up. Which means alot of running back and forth between floors.