View Full Version : Install to storage card, but files copied to Windows?

ralliart12
04-18-2003, 05:43 AM
I notice that even though I designated 'Storage card' as the installation destination, on my PPC, some application installation still appears to be copying files to the '\Windows' directory lehz? Why huhz?

Jacob
04-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Some installations have files hardcoded to a certain location - such as the windows directory.

Pony99CA
04-18-2003, 09:29 AM
I notice that even though I designated 'Storage card' as the installation destination, on my PPC, some application installation still appears to be copying files to the '\Windows' directory lehz? Why huhz?
This happens on both Windows and Windows CE. Some files are found more easily in the Windows folder, I guess.

It's really a mess, too. For example, AOL Instant Messenger stores its DLL files in the application directory, but it stores its bitmaps in the Windows folder. Why? I don't know. I'd think that would lead to the possibility of file name collisions.

OK, actually I think I do know. DLLs are probably found automatically if they're in the application's directory. However, for arbitrary files, it's easier to open a file in a directory you know will be on every device, like Windows, than it is to find the directory the application is running in, concatenate that with the file name, and then open the file.

In addition, Microsoft's Pocket PC guidelines could mandate that certain files, such as shortcuts, Help and Uninstall files, be stored in certain directories. Here's a quotation from the "Designed for Windows® for Pocket PC - Handbook for Software Applications" guidelines:

Developers are required to create shortcuts for their applications within the “My Pocket PC\Windows\Start Menu\Programs” folder on the Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC device. Alternatively, when appropriate, shortcuts can be created in the “My Pocket PC\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games” folder. This ensures that your application is accessible via Start/Programs, or Start/Programs/Games, respectively.

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-18-2003, 01:53 PM
OK, actually I think I do know. DLLs are probably found automatically if they're in the application's directory. However, for arbitrary files, it's easier to open a file in a directory you know will be on every device, like Windows, than it is to find the directory the application is running in, concatenate that with the file name, and then open the file.
I think that's a lame excuse, though. DLLs, which are possibly shared, make more sense to be in a central location as opposed to pictures, which really are very application-specific.

--janak

Pony99CA
04-18-2003, 02:07 PM
I think that's a lame excuse, though. DLLs, which are possibly shared, make more sense to be in a central location as opposed to pictures, which really are very application-specific.

Oh, I agree. Unless the Windows CE API is missing something significant, loading a file from the application directory should only take like two extra function calls. I won't call a programmer "lazy", but is the performance or space required for loading images from the application directory really bad enough to justify hard-coding it? I hope not.

However, DLLs don't need to be shared that often by user-installed applications, and those should go in the application's directory, too. Only DLLs that are intended for system-wide usage should be placed in the Windows folder.

Steve