View Full Version : File replacement during installations?

ralliart12
04-18-2003, 05:43 AM
When we encounter dialog boxes asking us whether to replace existing files on our PPC during installation of some applications, should we? Or should we not replace?

Btw, I do notice that there's certain files which kept having to be replaced during mulitple installations of different applications.

Jacob
04-18-2003, 06:24 AM
My rule of thumb is if the file on the system is older, then say Yes to copy over since that usually means it's upgrading that file...

Unfortunately this rule of thumb only sometimes works... make backups often :D

ctmagnus
04-18-2003, 07:10 AM
make backups often :D

Using Pocket Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html), of course. :)

ralliart12
04-19-2003, 10:29 AM
My rule of thumb is if the file on the system is older, then say Yes to copy over since that usually means it's upgrading that file...

Unfortunately this rule of thumb only sometimes works... make backups often :D

How do I check whether the version the application that I'm installing is newer/older?

Jacob
04-19-2003, 08:14 PM
The install will prompt you when it's updating. If the file is already there you'll get a message like: "The install is trying to update MyFile.dll which was modified on 10/25/2002 with a copy modified on 05/22/2000. Would you like to replace it?"

it will only specify the modify date..

ralliart12
04-20-2003, 04:34 AM
The install will prompt you when it's updating. If the file is already there you'll get a message like: "The install is trying to update MyFile.dll which was modified on 10/25/2002 with a copy modified on 05/22/2000. Would you like to replace it?"

it will only specify the modify date..

Are u sure? I dun remember it doing so u know?

Jacob
04-20-2003, 06:00 AM

I have seen the dialog come up many times when I've installed software.

I'm not sure that the software YOU are installing will do it. I AM sure that it has happened with software that I have installed.

I would say that any installation tool should bring this dialog up especially for system files.

ralliart12
04-20-2003, 06:45 AM

I have seen the dialog come up many times when I've installed software.

I'm not sure that the software YOU are installing will do it. I AM sure that it has happened with software that I have installed.

I would say that any installation tool should bring this dialog up especially for system files.

Thanks anyway; I'll lookout for it during my next round of installations.
But if it doesn't,there's no way of teling whether the file that's gonna be installed is newer?

Jacob
04-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Thanks anyway; I'll lookout for it during my next round of installations.
But if it doesn't,there's no way of teling whether the file that's gonna be installed is newer?

Only by checking the dates manually before you install - but you'd then have to know every file the install was going to copy over.