View Full Version : A Database for a work application

MultiMatt
04-17-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm looking to use a database on the Pocket PC to do the following: 4 people with iPAQ's, all surveying different locations across the country. There will be a considerable amount of info gathered (maybe as much as 100 fields of info for about 150 locations total).
Each person would sync their device to their laptop when they get back in their hotel room. The data would then update to their Access database on the laptop.
Then, ideally, each database would merge on a common drive in the company, so that HQ people can view what they'd like from any of these location surveys. I've tried HanDbase - they don't have forms...
I am currently toying around with sprintDB - I can't see an easy way to sync the data (aside from manually doing an Export)...
The users are fairly competent on their iPAQs, but are not database savvy. Neither am I, beyond basic stuff.

Suggestions? There are a lot of DB's offered, but I really don't have time to thoroughly play with each one to see if it meets my needs.

Thanks,
Matt

isrjt
04-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a simple evb program to me. A scrolloing form and a native .cdb database would automatically sync with an Access db on the laptops. Then the Access merging process could occur when you decide (that is a separate issue). It would be an easy coding job is you have or know someone with the skill set.

This may not be the option that you were looking for, but it would be customized to your needs and a week to go form nothing to production.

later
rod
www.bigmansoftware.com

MultiMatt
04-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Thank you for the suggestion! If I go that route, I will definitely have to solicit the assistance of someone who knows that stuff.

I'm a dummy - I went to the HanDBase website and realized that I why I could not make a form - it currently needs to be done on the desktop! I'm going to give HanDBase a whirl again before giving up on it. It certainly has received a lot of awards....

Matt