View Full Version : Virtual Keyboards for Your PDA

Jason Dunn
04-16-2003, 06:36 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1087-8-21097109-1.html' target='_blank'>http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/...21097109-1.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Does Graffiti make you groan? Does Jot give you the jitters? If you're sick of trying to eke out messages via the frustratingly tiny keyboards on Palms and Pocket PCs, help is a download away. We found three virtual keyboards that will make typing easier, faster, and almost a pleasure. Best of all, none of them cost more than $25, and one is absolutely free. So take a look at these keyboards--and get the words out of your head and into your handheld."

smittyofdhs
04-16-2003, 08:23 PM
if you use PPCPE device don't plan on using FSK by SPB software yet. It still doesn't work with the PPCPE devices and a few others. THey have been working on new version but nothing yet. Please SPB, Please SPB, fix it... hopefully soon :multi:

Vincent M Ferrari
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Even though there's quite a learning curve, I've made some good progress with Fitaly in just a few days. I like it, it works for me, and I plan to continue using it right up until the evaluation is over, and then figure out if it's worth buying. Right now, I'm leaning toward yes, as my typing has gone from 18 wpm to 24 wpm in just a few days. 8O

I'd highly recommend at least trying it. :way to go:

PPCRules
04-16-2003, 09:06 PM
I have tried Fitaly before and wasn't very impressed. I kinda like the ExIdeas MessagEase idea. They make mention in passing about working on a PocketPC version. Has anyone heard any more about that?

I have tried the spb and can see it having a place, but it didn't really fit my needs.

It seems like nothing out there quite makes it. I keep hoping someone will all of a sudden put it all together in one product, but there is probably nothing that would please everybody.

Actually, what I am looking forward to most is the PocketPC with a slide-out-the-side/landscape physical keyboard.

blusparkles
04-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Fitaly keyboard rocks! As long as you put in the time to learning the new keyboard layout (and have a decent hand/eye coordination), you can expect to get decent improvements in your "tapping" speed.

Timothy Rapson
04-16-2003, 10:58 PM
It may take a month or more to "get" it, but FITALY is the one worth the effort.

IMHO.

Janak Parekh
04-16-2003, 11:02 PM
It may take a month or more to "get" it, but FITALY is the one worth the effort.
Agreed. It's taking me longer than a month, perhaps because I've been using QWERTY keyboards for the last 20+ years, but the accuracy of Fitaly and the reduced pen travel is noticeable. The sliding metaphor as well as the number/symbol keys also make a big difference. Having said that, it was insanely maddening for the first two weeks, though. ;)

--janak

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly Fitaly.

Did I mention I like Fitaly? :lol:

Saaby
04-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I...love...FITALY!

Is it "fuh talll eee" as I say it, or "fit el ee" as my friend insists it is? I had a tapping contest with him and we kept tying which was a little embarasing since he was on QWERTY and I was in Fitaly. Such is life--and I haven't used it tooooo long so I guess if I keep using it I'll get faster :D

QYV
04-17-2003, 12:37 AM
I tried FITALY for three weeks straight, and did all kinds of drills with FitalyLetris every night. I did go from 14wpm to around 35wpm on the drills, but when I tried using it in real life, it didn't work nearly so well. I switched back to Transcriber just for comparison, and found I could get at least 35wpm without any effort (as measured by SIP Timer). At the point, I just stopped trying with FITALY.

I agree that in theory, with the application of many hours of work, FITALY is probably superior to Transcriber. It's hard to deny the testimonials from folks here who swear by it. But for me, the eventual difference in speed appeared to be small enough that it wouldn't be worth the amount of effort I'd have to put in.

PacMan
04-17-2003, 12:58 AM
I bought the Spb Full Screen Keyboard and love it. It has no learning curve and I am able to type fast enough with it (i.e. much faster than using character recognizer but not as fast as using my stowaway keyboard). For those times when I get an idea I want to get down in a hurry it's been an absolute must have. I imagine that for those who do extensive text input an option like fitaly makes sense, but I just don't do enough to justify the learning curve.

blusparkles
04-17-2003, 01:15 AM
I bought the Spb Full Screen Keyboard and love it. It has no learning curve and I am able to type fast enough with it (i.e. much faster than using character recognizer but not as fast as using my stowaway keyboard). For those times when I get an idea I want to get down in a hurry it's been an absolute must have. I imagine that for those who do extensive text input an option like fitaly makes sense, but I just don't do enough to justify the learning curve.

I don't do extensive text input on my Pocket PC myself, just occasionally writing small notes and using the PIM apps. The only reason I learnt how to use Fitaly was because it promised on the website that you could get up to 50 WPM using it. So I applied myself to learning it .. and whaddya know, 55 WPM for "real world" text entry :)

Jeff Rutledge
04-17-2003, 01:47 AM
I tried FITALY for three weeks straight, and did all kinds of drills with FitalyLetris every night. I did go from 14wpm to around 35wpm on the drills, but when I tried using it in real life, it didn't work nearly so well. I switched back to Transcriber just for comparison, and found I could get at least 35wpm without any effort (as measured by SIP Timer). At the point, I just stopped trying with FITALY.

I agree that in theory, with the application of many hours of work, FITALY is probably superior to Transcriber. It's hard to deny the testimonials from folks here who swear by it. But for me, the eventual difference in speed appeared to be small enough that it wouldn't be worth the amount of effort I'd have to put in.

I bought Calligrapher for basically the same reasons. I then noticed that my iPAQ screen was getting kind of beat up. I had a screen protector, but still didn't like the look of things. So I gave FITALY another shot and stuck with it for a couple weeks. I've not turned back. I have gotten quick enough for all my entry needs with it, and no blemishes on my screen. I've even removed my screen protector (please no flames :lol: ). I basically stick to taps and avoid sliding the stylus whenever possible. It's made a huge difference on my screen.

Eventually I'd like a device with a built in thumb keyboard. I am at least 3 times as fast on my Blackberry than my iPAQ, using any input method (except external keyboard of course).

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 02:54 AM
I always pronounce it like Italy with an F in front.

blusparkles
04-17-2003, 02:57 AM
I pronounce it "Fie-tally". I have no idea if that's the correct pronunciation. 8O

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 03:06 AM
http://www.fitaly.com/board/fitalyfaq/posts/69.html

blusparkles
04-17-2003, 03:11 AM

Ohhhhh :?

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 03:21 AM
Ohhhhh :?
:lol:

I saw that a few years ago and it just stuck. Not like I guessed right either. :D

Jason Dunn
04-17-2003, 03:29 AM
if you use PPCPE device don't plan on using FSK by SPB software yet. It still doesn't work with the PPCPE devices and a few others. THey have been working on new version but nothing yet. Please SPB, Please SPB, fix it... hopefully soon

Keep your eyes open this week - the fix is finally coming out! :mrgreen: (and for the record, it was a problem with the Pocket PC OS, not our app).

Jason Dunn
VP Marketing
Spb Software House

szamot
04-17-2003, 03:42 AM
I loved SPB from day one, still do and until virtual keyboards come out I always will love it for a one very simple reason, no screen abuse. I just wipe the greasy marks and it is like new. Thanks SPB, and when they fix it, I will love it even more. :D

ctmagnus
04-17-2003, 06:01 AM

There it is again!

"69, dudes!" - Bill S. Preston and "Ted" Theodore Logan

:)

Vincent M Ferrari
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Fitaly keyboard rocks! As long as you put in the time to learning the new keyboard layout (and have a decent hand/eye coordination), you can expect to get decent improvements in your "tapping" speed.

Big shock that you think it rocks :-) You're only like the fastest Fitalyist on the planet :-)

k_kirk
04-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Bought FSK right after my XDA purcase and got stuck with the infamous SD bug. Love the interface and usability but the bug.. Asked nicely and received a patch from SPB... The initial start problem with SD Card inserted issue seems to have gone away, the problem with switching to the regular keyboard is still there. This is the problem where the regular keyboard shows up at the top of the screen rather than its usual place at the bottom. Additionally I have another problem which is harder to duplicate. Occasionally the area near the top of XDA with the time and signal strength etc (I'll call it the taskbar) will show superimposed on FSK. When this happens you can't press the letters overlapped by the taskbar and you can't see the part of FSK display that's obscured. Additionally when I hit the little keyboard button that send FSK away I enter a vicious cycle where FSK just comes back again. Only way out is resetting the XDA. This often happens when I want to write a response to an SMS. Perhaps I was given a beta version of the patch (lets hope). Still waiting for SPB to respond to my earlier query.

Crystal Eitle
04-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Fitaly is the only input method I use now (except for quick scrawling in Notes). Transcriber was too frustrating for me - there was too much drama in waiting to see how it would interpret my letters. And the QWERTY keyboard is way too inefficient for stylus-tapping.

oe1kenobi
04-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I...love...FITALY!
Is it "fuh talll eee" as I say it, or "fit el ee" as my friend insists it is?&lt;snip>

According to the authors at textware (http://www.fitaly.com/board/fitalyfaq/posts/69.html):
The Fitaly pattern was generated by a computer optimization and chosen among a few equivalent patterns because it contained more mnemonic words, such as Fitaly, doors, jump, count, harem...

The computer program did not sugest a pronunciation but we tend to pronounce Fitaly as F-Italy, that it as Italy with an F before.

Jean Ichbiah>

-Richard L. Owens