View Full Version : T-Mobile To Install HotSpots in Kinko's

Janak Parekh
04-16-2003, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://rss.com.com/2100-1039-996721.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://rss.com.com/2100-1039-996721...=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"T-Mobile USA is copying its own efforts with other chain store partners in its latest agreement with Kinko's to offer hot spot service. The Bellevue, Wash.-based wireless phone company on Monday announced a deal to make wireless broadband Internet access available in some 1,100 Kinko's stores. The rollout of the so-called hot spot service will start in the fourth quarter of this year; pricing and location information have not yet been announced. Hot spots are areas where wireless Internet access is available to the public."<br /><br />Not bad -- in NYC, Kinko's is certainly a useful addition, since a lot of people use their facility for a wide variety of computer-related tasks, and it would certainly be cheaper bringing your laptop or PDA instead of using their computer rentals. The only question is, where would people sit with their computers? Most of the Kinko's in NYC (at least, the ones in midtown that I go to) don't have that much free space.

bdegroodt
04-16-2003, 03:06 AM
I say being wireless gives you a little more space in those places. At least I could work at a counter or on top of a copier or in the bathroom or something.

Janak Parekh
04-16-2003, 03:11 AM
I say being wireless gives you a little more space in those places. At least I could work at a counter or on top of a copier or in the bathroom or something.
You're desperate, aren't you? Oh, wait, you're a New Yorker too, at least, for the moment -- we're experts in cramped areas. :lol:

No doubt it's a good thing. There's been several times I had to go to Kinko's to get stuff printed when we were forced to shuttle back and forth from the office.

Now, if it was just a bit cheaper there!

--janak

bdegroodt
04-16-2003, 03:15 AM
No kidding Janak. I could swear I remember when it was a good deal to get some copies made there. Now, you better come prepared with an expense account or a credit card.

I'm a bit curious about why T-Mobile is stating that they aren't sure what pricing is going to be yet. I really hope they don't try to segment their Hot Spots. If they do it the way I'd expect, they should just build out the network and give subscribers more places to use the access.

PJE
04-16-2003, 03:20 AM
You can get DSL/Cable for home at $40...

You'd really need to be addicted to Starbucks coffee or have a secret poto copier infatuation to make it pay.

I'd use these remote sites for around 10% of my weekly surfing at the very most (more like &lt;5%) and therefore it should cost $5 per month to use or less. At that price I'd pay, but no way would I pay what they're asking. Starbucks/Borders/Kinko's/etc, should really be giving this service away free to get you in the door.

My 2c

PJE

bdegroodt
04-16-2003, 03:25 AM
You can get DSL/Cable for home at $40...

You'd really need to be addicted to Starbucks coffee or have a secret poto copier infatuation to make it pay.

I'd use these remote sites for around 10% of my weekly surfing at the very most (more like &lt;5%) and therefore it should cost $5 per month to use or less. At that price I'd pay, but no way would I pay what they're asking. Starbucks/Borders/Kinko's/etc, should really be giving this service away free to get you in the door.

My 2c

PJE

Free? Not so sure about that. I'd love free, but I also understand that they are in the business of making money. Should they give away free copies to get you in the door as well? There are fixed and variable ongoing costs associated with this service.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say that this service isn't targeted at the average person that needs a network connection to check Yahoo! mail. It's more for the business traveler that wants a network away from the office etc and if your company is nice enough to pay for that connection, then on your off hours you get to benefit by eating fudge brownies and drinking a cafe mocha while reading your personal email.

Personally, I find this to be one of my most important assets when on the road and before it was wireless, it was the wired computers at Kinko's.

jimski
04-16-2003, 04:58 AM
I sort of like the free idea. While I travel quite a bit, I don't expect to be spending hours at one of these Hot Spots browsing the Internet.

These retailers can build the cost of operating the network into their bottom line. My guess is that these retailers who have installed Hot Spots were looking for an inexpensive way to get their stores connected to the Internet for inventory updates, sales info, etc. Pure genius. And look, along comes a bunch of consumers with wads of cash to help the retailers pay for it.

My employer provides me with a comfortable hotel room that I can setup a wired connection (with an electrical outlet) without much trouble, while sipping a glass of Cabernet (instead of Mocha Whatever). Yes, I think wireless is great and I use it where ever I can, but some things (Hot Spots that charge) are just bad ideas.

To keep the freeloaders out of these establishments, how about a flat fee (with no minimum) each time a user connects, like $2 or $3. If I connect twice per month, $6. Ten times, $30. That sounds fair to me.

bdegroodt
04-16-2003, 01:12 PM
To keep the freeloaders out of these establishments, how about a flat fee (with no minimum) each time a user connects, like $2 or $3. If I connect twice per month, $6. Ten times, $30. That sounds fair to me.

That's kinder to the businesses than free at least.

PJE
04-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Free? Not so sure about that. I'd love free, but I also understand that they are in the business of making money. Should they give away free copies to get you in the door as well? There are fixed and variable ongoing costs associated with this service.

don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say that this service isn't targeted at the average person that needs a network connection to check Yahoo! mail. It's more for the business traveler that wants a network away from the office etc and if your company is nice enough to pay for that connection, then on your off hours you get to benefit by eating fudge brownies and drinking a cafe mocha while reading your personal email.

Personally, I find this to be one of my most important assets when on the road and before it was wireless, it was the wired computers at Kinko's.

Companies do all sorts of promotions to get people in the door. I agree that free is not likely, but wouldn't it be better to get more people using this service. I, and I expect many others, would pay $5-$10 per month but would NEVER pay $30+. I'd expect T-Mobile would make more money off the increased number of subscribers than leaving it to the elite.

One advantage to T-Mobile of pricing it out of the reach of the vast majority of non-business users is that the amount of money needed for Wi-Fi hubs etc is reduced as you're only likely to have a couple of users at most (other than in airports) using the service.

My 2c

PJE

scottmag
04-16-2003, 03:11 PM
As I've mentioned before these hotspot services are for someone like me, and clearly not for most of you. When I travel for business I find myself frequently in downtown D.C. walking between meetings and doing some work at a Starbucks. I would pay a daily fee for high-speed wireless access on those days. I don't need it the rest of the month. Nobody will pay just to be able to connect after walking down the street from their home or office. It's for business travelers who want reliable and easy to find network access.

I propose and option for hourly and daily use. I'd pay something like $5 a day, or $1 for every 5 minutes up to a $5 maximum per day.

Scott

garrans
04-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I propose and option for hourly and daily use. I'd pay something like $5 a day, or $1 for every 5 minutes up to a $5 maximum per day.

I like that idea, however maybe along with the first 5 minutes free. That allows you to download your first batch of email but not surf.

Steve.

PhatCohiba
04-16-2003, 10:15 PM
It sounds like most of you would find the existing $20 for 120 minutes a good plan at a Tmobile Hot spot. You have 4 Months to use your 120 minutes. thats 10- 12 minute visits or $2 per visit. With a good wi-fi i can download /send mail, and visit all the obligitory web sites in 10 minutes.

With more locations, it continues to look like a good model to me.

-jb

ps. Hey, I just noticed that I'm no longer a ponderer but now an Intellectual. Wow, an intellectual, me, hope I can meet the expectations that brings. he he he...