View Full Version : MySql Project

nishka
04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
This is not necessarily PocketPC related, but it will be soon :). I picked up a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 PDA the other day for about $200. As you may or may not know, this particular PDA is a linux based device. There's also an open source rom which adds additional flexibility.

I've found the PIM apps to be terrible compared to the PocketPC, but there's something a little more interesting: the ability to run a full fledged Apache/PHP/Mysql server. It's simply amazing. I've been documenting my trials and tribulations with this device here:

http://www.techfornewbies.com/projects/zaurus/index.html

My next step is to load Linux onto my Ipaq :). Of course I have a first generation 3600 series device, so it's going to be a little tight.

I welcome your questions and comments!

ExtremeSIMS
04-24-2003, 06:58 AM
If I had not cracked the LCD on my Zaurus, I would still be using it. The slideout keyboard and ability to just script and go was great. Sigh...

Janak Parekh
04-24-2003, 01:53 PM
My next step is to load Linux onto my Ipaq :). Of course I have a first generation 3600 series device, so it's going to be a little tight.
Do you know if your first-gen iPaq has 16MB or 32MB of ROM? If it's the latter, it's not so tight; otherwise, you'll probably want to invest in a CompactFlash setup.

--janak

nishka
04-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info on the Compaq ROM. I am not sure what size ROM I have on my device. Is there a method of checking?

My only problem now is getting the USB port to function as a network device. Once I get a little more time I'm going to really go nuts and try to get this thing operational :).

Flashing to Linux was a lot easier than I thought. Very slick.