View Full Version : Avantgo wont work with PPC?

BillTheCat
04-14-2003, 02:21 AM
The avantgo site says this:
Operating Systems
Pocket PC and Windows CE devices: Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0 (NT 4.0 users require service pack 3).

Palm OS devices: Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, NT 4.0 Workstation
(NT 4.0 users require service pack 3); Macintosh OS 8.5.x, or 9.x.

that means that since I have a PPCPE *and* win2000, I am OUT OF LUCK??????

wah! any help? I do have win 2000 on my pc. I do have a PPCPE.

any thing to do for news and such if avantgo is a no go?

BillTheCat
04-14-2003, 02:39 AM
*sigh*. tried to install anyway. wouldnt do it. said stuff about 16bit permissions and such. it doesnt like win2000.

No problem if I have a Palm, but *I DONT HAVE A PALM* ok?

any other way of getting updated news etc on the PPCPE?

Sven Johannsen
04-14-2003, 03:46 AM
I don't have a phone edition but I never had a problem using Avantgo with W2K, nor do several folks at work. I had it on HP Jornada's, and colleagues have it on iPAQs. I notice XP is on the list for PPCs but I can tell you that works fine too. Sure you got the right files?

Sven Johannsen
04-14-2003, 03:50 AM
Guess I should add, I didn't install didly. I just got an Avantgo account set up at their site, turned on Avantgo in ActiveSync, and filled out my account information in the Avantgo properties. I know they have 'new' software now and again, and with the Jornada some time back it forced me to 'upgrade', But I'm pretty sure that was with my Jornada 458. My 568 has been hard reset a few times and I have not loaded any avantgo stuff, just turned it on.

BillTheCat
04-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Sven, I looked at my activesync and you are right! I dont need the blinkin software! Just set up to go on the site, and enable avantgo in activesync and it's done.

thanks!

smittyofdhs
04-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Sven, I looked at my activesync and you are right! I dont need the blinkin software! Just set up to go on the site, and enable avantgo in activesync and it's done.

thanks!
not sure where you went to download software but right on avantgo' site it says it works with..
"Windows (Windows 95, 98, Me, XP, NT 4.0, 2000)"

https://my.avantgo.com/account/downloads.html

you need the ppc version 3.3 1164 (English version)

You may want to upgrade to the latest version since it has bug fixes in it and it can also connect securely when syncing.

Sven Johannsen
04-17-2003, 05:41 PM
You may want to upgrade to the latest version since it has bug fixes in it and it can also connect securely when syncing.

I use the stock version that comes on my Dell (and Jornada 568) which seems to work fine. Changing the port to 443 (vice 80) points you at the secure channel. Needed to do that to sync travel itineraries from Virtually There. YMMV Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, I just don't like to add stuff to my RAM when the ROM stuff is working.