View Full Version : WIFI Advice Please

coldroyd
04-13-2003, 08:57 PM
I need some advice, i am about to take the plunge and go for wifi. I currently have a dsl connection to my main pc through a usb modem. The main pc is networked to another pc via a crossover RJ45 cable peer to peer with no hub. The second pc also shares the internet connection through ics. Now heres the problem i have bought a Dell Axim and would like to set up a wifi so i can surf the net etc from anywhere in the house. Whats the best way to do this while still keeping the original network intact. Any help much appreciared.

Cheers
Chris

Eitel
04-14-2003, 12:36 AM
Your best solution is to get a Wireless Router. These days, almost all broadband routers support DSL, so you shouldn't have any problems. Just connect to USB modem to the router and then connect the machines to the router. THen, get a CF Wifi card for the Axim.

You can find the Linksys Wireless Router for around $80-$90 these days.

Pony99CA
04-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Your best solution is to get a Wireless Router. These days, almost all broadband routers support DSL, so you shouldn't have any problems. Just connect to USB modem to the router and then connect the machines to the router. THen, get a CF Wifi card for the Axim.

That assumes that the router supports a USB connection (my SMC Barricade doesn't nor does the Linksys BEFW11S4 (http://www.linksys.com/support/display.asp?biggie=big_befw11s4v2.jpg&prid=415&scid=35)) or that the USB DSL modem also has an Ethernet jack (my DSL modem has both).

If the modem is USB only and the router doesn't support USB, I've seen Ethernet to USB adapters that may work, but I'd ask first.

Steve