View Full Version : Why no Pocket PC Phone Edition in Canada?

merk1821
04-13-2003, 08:43 AM
I have been mulling over this situation ever since the T-Mobile/Xda device hit US shores And now with the release of the Samsumg i700 on Sprint's and Verizon's CDMA network, this has brought to the forefront. In Canada we have 4 national wireless companies (2 GSM, 2 CDMA) as well as a smattering of regional wireless companies. All of the national carriers and most of the regional carriers have established their 1x or GPRS sytems for data traffic. But the XDA is not offered by the GSM carriers and the only the device offered by the CDMA carriers is the old Audiovox Thera!!!!!!! :roll: .Yeeash all i want is for us Canucks to have a fair shake at the same devices as our American friends.anyway jus ttwanted to rant about that.

PS Why did it take so long for a Pocket PC Phone Edition device that could run on CDMA/1X networks to be developed and (almost) released?

Paragon
04-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Market......there just isn't a very big market for them in Canada. Rogers is going to have the SX56 available for retail purchase within the next couple of months. It will not be a very big release. I doubt you will be able to walk into many of your local Rogers stores and find them on the shelf. You will likely have to do a bit of digging, and order one. Rogers is apparently only going to buy a few hundred of them. Another consideration here is the fact that Rogers has taken a rather big position with the Treo, which I don't think has been as successful as they had hoped, so every XDA they sell is quite possibly a Treo that they will be stuck holding onto.

The XDA has now been on the market for over a year, and will soon be outdated by newer devices, so again it probably wouldn't be the best decision for them to buy many of them just to see them quickly become outdated.

As for the CDMA devices I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Dave