View Full Version : GPRS Connection while in cradle

cagemedley
04-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Ever notice that when you put your XDA in the cradle, you cannot initiate a GPRS connection? The GPRS connect button in the “connections” applet is grayed out upon the establishment of an ActiveSync connection. If GPRS is already connected, it will automatically disconnect when the XDA is cradled. I would desperately like to use the GPRS network instead of the pass-through network, since office has blocked all instant messaging ports on the firewall. I want to keep it plugged into the cradle so that I can use Pocket Controller to keep an open connection to AIM, MSN, etc open on my Windows desktop therefore bypassing my company’s attempts to keep me out of reach from the world. I’m sure others out there would benefit from this information too, as many companies have firewalls set up like this. Any ideas? Can this be done?

Thanks!!
Howie

cyclist
04-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Ever notice that when you put your XDA in the cradle, you cannot initiate a GPRS connection? The GPRS connect button in the “connections” applet is grayed out upon the establishment of an ActiveSync connection. If GPRS is already connected, it will automatically disconnect when the XDA is cradled.

The handbook that comes with an XDA documents that it is not possible to use GPRS while Active Sync is connected, so they really don't want you to do this. How about using a GSM connection instead to achieve what you want? Slower, but it might work.