View Full Version : Will the amount of Storage memory available affect application performance?

ralliart12
04-12-2003, 01:29 PM
As subject. Just because everythign on a PPC's stored in RAM, does it mean the more the RAM's cloged up, the slower my applications will run?

WyattEarp
04-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Yes, if you've used up 80% or more of your RAM and tend to use a lot of apps at the same time. Every program needs a certain amount of RAM to run just like on a PC. So as long as enough memory is left to run your apps sufficiently you should not have a problem.

Looxer
04-15-2003, 12:15 PM
That’s why I will never go for a 32MB RAM Pocket PC. Useless! :razz:

smittyofdhs
04-15-2003, 05:11 PM

that's why the nice guys over at ppctechs do upgrades... Don't say never, I did and I ended up with the SX56 PPCPE. After a small fee, ppctechs made it right again...

Looxer
04-15-2003, 05:22 PM

that's why the nice guys over at ppctechs do upgrades... Don't say never, I did and I ended up with the SX56 PPCPE. After a small fee, ppctechs made it right again...

Oh yeah I forgot about that, but will this upgrade void the warranty? Any complaints?

smittyofdhs
04-15-2003, 05:31 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about that, but will this upgrade void the warranty? Any complaints?
void warranty = yes
complaints = absolutely not, best money ever spent on a PPC upgrade.

WyattEarp
04-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Not to take anything away from smittyofdhs or PPC Techs but PPCs should come standard with 64MB of RAM IMHO. I had my 3975 upgraded to make it 128MB and it is the best money I have spent on my PPC, but no one should have to buy a PPC and have to upgrade it just to make it 64MB in this day and age. But more is always okay though :D .

The O2/XDAs are a grave disappointment me. They seem extremely slow for 206Mhz, have 32MB RAM (now a 64MB version), displays 4096 colors and no bluetooth to make it a total wireless solution. This device which comes from HTC (the makers of the iPAQ), seems to be a very bad result of what was an excellent vision of an all-in-one device. This company should have known better after designing devices like the iPAQ. Anything less seems substandard especially since we may see (if we are lucky) devices with 128MB RAM in the near future (if they hear us they will make one :wink: ).
I'm sure many people are happy with theirs but 32MB is not enough; those who upgraded prove the point. Even 64MB is what I think should be the absolute minimum in these devices.

smittyofdhs
04-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Not to take anything away from smittyofdhs or PPC Techs but PPCs should come standard with 64MB of RAM IMHO. I had my 3975 upgraded to make it 128MB and it is the best money I have spent on my PPC, but no one should have to buy a PPC and have to upgrade it just to make it 64MB in this day and age. But more is always okay though :D .

The O2/XDAs are a grave disappointment me. They seem extremely slow for 206Mhz, have 32MB RAM (now a 64MB version), displays 4096 colors and no bluetooth to make it a total wireless solution. This device which comes from HTC (the makers of the iPAQ), seems to be a very bad result of what was an excellent vision of an all-in-one device. This company should have known better after designing devices like the iPAQ. Anything less seems substandard especially since we may see (if we are lucky) devices with 128MB RAM in the near future (if they hear us they will make one :wink: ).
I'm sure many people are happy with theirs but 32MB is not enough; those who upgraded prove the point. Even 64MB is what I think should be the absolute minimum in these devices.
thinks about from HTC's side...

ok, we are going to develop this product but it's the first of it's kind, using a new version of the OS, new integrations, new everything....

ok, now let's keep under $500..... impossible to add all the bells and whistles and keep it priced resonable. Beside, who knew if they were going to really take off or not. And if they were priced at $700 and had all these features, what good would it be if no one would buy it.

for the price and features this is a great device... :)

spursdude
04-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Well lemme jump in and say that I've managed to survive and even enjoy (!) with my 32MB Audiovox Maestro. I hardly store anything in my internal memory, except for a few programs and most of my documents. Sure, I would love to have 64MB or even more. But I can live with 32MB, and it almost never causes any problems for me. As long as I leave about 16MB for running program memory, I have no problems. That said, I do rely heavily on my 128MB CF card.

32MB isn't as deadly as it may sound.

smittyofdhs
04-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Well lemme jump in and say that I've managed to survive and even enjoy (!) with my 32MB Audiovox Maestro. I hardly store anything in my internal memory, except for a few programs and most of my documents. Sure, I would love to have 64MB or even more. But I can live with 32MB, and it almost never causes any problems for me. As long as I leave about 16MB for running program memory, I have no problems. That said, I do rely heavily on my 128MB CF card.

32MB isn't as deadly as it may sound.
agreed...I used my PPCPE with 32 megs (and 128 sd card) for the first few months with no problem. I just perfer to have everthing loaded in RAM instead of SD card. The average user can get by just fine with 32 megs. Power users or gammers would need more...

WyattEarp
04-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Being able to live with 32MB is great but like I said 64MB is better for all, especially in the PPCPE devices. I know it is hard to keep prices low but if it has all the bells and whistles people won't mind spending a little extra. I have spent some time looking at PPCs and what they come with. From what I see most of the lower priced ones have less bundled software. iPAQs seem to have the most while Dell seem to have the least. So different versions to fit different lifestyles is cool but the O2s should have come out in two versions by now. One with nuts and one with out :D . That would definately satisfy the masses.

The O2 is just an information magnet; you can have your calls, email, SMS, faxes, contacts, schedules, documents, web sites, etc. sent to you in many ways. And since a lot of people are bad at even checking their email much less emptying it or example you need room to store it all. SD is good but internal RAM is even better.

It is good to hear that there are people who are satisfied. Hopefully it will cause companies to design even better devices for us.

Looxer
04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Not to take anything away from smittyofdhs or PPC Techs but PPCs should come standard with 64MB of RAM IMHO.

I totally agree with you!

ok, we are going to develop this product but it's the first of it's kind, using a new version of the OS, new integrations, new everything....
ok, now let's keep under $500..... impossible to add all the bells and whistles and keep it priced resonable. Beside, who knew if they were going to really take off or not.

I’m sure with current OS development, you will acquire more power in your PPC, and then the prices will eventually drop, do you remember initially how much they offered for the 128 MB SD card! And compare the price after 8 months!