View Full Version : Are iPaqs(or PPCs in general) affected by the elements?

ralliart12
04-12-2003, 01:27 PM
For example, let's say the iPaq was in a very cold place, i.e. an air-con vehicle. When it's taken out of that environment, condesation will occur. Will this affect the PPC in any way?

WyattEarp
04-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Excessive condensation could damage your PPC, but a regular A/C environment will not produce that kind of condensation. If your worried about sudden changes in climate don't unless your planning to be somewhere that goes from -22F to 140F. :D

dangerwit
04-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Yep, if you move from indoors to outdoors or the like, you shouldn't see any problems. The real danger is in moving between harsh environments.

For cold, you may see fogginess. For heat, some LCD screens go black. It all depends how long the device was _directly_ subjected to the environment. Nothing damaging though, from what I've seen.

FYI: At my job, we rent a testing center to subject potential CE devices to extreme abuse (a modified Mil spec) that involves 10" of rain per minute, then baked in an oven for 30 minutes, then immediately dropped in a bucket of ice water for 30 minutes. To add flavor, the whole thing is repeated several times. (drops to the floor are included)

There are several devices we've tested which have failed... and those "ruggedized" CE devices often cost $2000+ apiece. :)

kfluet
04-12-2003, 06:41 PM
There are several devices we've tested which have failed... and those "ruggedized" CE devices often cost $2000+ apiece. :)

Cool!

So, can you tell us what the best value in a rugged PocketPC is? What reasonably priced machine survived your environmental hell? I ask because I have destroyed 3 PocketPC's in the last 3 years by dropping and crushing. I think it might be cheaper to get something I can beat up.

Got any cool pictures of mangled PDA's? :twisted:

docnilay
04-14-2003, 05:38 AM
So, can you tell us what the best value in a rugged PocketPC is? What reasonably priced machine survived your environmental hell?

Have you checked out Symbol Technologies? I saw their "ruggedized" machines two years back... it's a Pocket PC, will survive just about anything, but defeats the purpose of "Pocket" sized PC. :lol:

They can be found -> here. (http://www.symbol.com/products/mobile_computers/mobile_i_sseies.html)

All the best,

Nilay