View Full Version : PPC 2002 software on PPC PE OS ????

crashdau
04-12-2003, 02:15 AM
:?: Hey Folks. Got a question or two? I've been thinking of making a new purchase and it may be the Samsung I-700 due out near the end of April (according to a post over at http://www.pocketpcpassion.com).

My question is...will I be able to use most, if not all, of my PPC 2002 software that I've bought over the last 3 years? If not, that will definitely stop the purchase as I don't want to have to purchase equivalent software to get the same functionality.

Also, how well do the PPC PE devices out there work...meaning, since their cellphones also, how does the batteries stand up? I have a hard time getting over leaving the device on all day when not working on the ppc portion. I assume you need to leave it turned on to receive a call or is there a standby mode that will allow you to receive a call while the ppc is off?

Can you still text message on these devices?

Ok...thats all for now! I'm sure I'll have more questions as some people reply (I Hope!! These boards have never let me down before!! PPC Thoughts is the place to learn all that is PPC ! ).

Thanks,
crashDAU

Janak Parekh
04-12-2003, 02:59 AM
My question is...will I be able to use most, if not all, of my PPC 2002 software that I've bought over the last 3 years? If not, that will definitely stop the purchase as I don't want to have to purchase equivalent software to get the same functionality.
Yes. PPC PE 2002 is a direct superset of PPC 2002.

Also, how well do the PPC PE devices out there work...meaning, since their cellphones also, how does the batteries stand up?
On the T-Mobile PPCPE, it's very good. You do not have to leave the Pocket PC part on -- when you receive a call, it "wakes up". It also shuts itself off during a long call, so only the phone part is being used. I've never had the battery go below about 60%, and I recharge daily. I have friends who use the device for 2-3 days steady without a recharge.

The notable exception to this is the Audiovox Thera -- it is not a Pocket PC phone (it's a proprietary solution), and its battery life is terrible. I am hopeful that the i700 will be more like the T-Mobile unit as opposed to the Thera.

Can you still text message on these devices?
Absolutely, and it's much faster than any phone's keypad. :) No MMS support is built in yet, although I've heard there are third-party solutions.

--janak

Pony99CA
04-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Also, how well do the PPC PE devices out there work...meaning, since their cellphones also, how does the batteries stand up?
On the T-Mobile PPCPE, it's very good. You do not have to leave the Pocket PC part on -- when you receive a call, it "wakes up". It also shuts itself off during a long call, so only the phone part is being used. I've never had the battery go below about 60%, and I recharge daily.
I thought you had an iPAQ 3870. When did you get a Pocket PC Phone?

Just curious,
Steve

crashdau
04-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info Janak. You have definitely tipped the scales toward the PPC Phone Edition.

Now I just need to wait to see the actual Samsung SPH-I700 in person. I'm sure it will be much different that looking at the photos.

craashDAU

Janak Parekh
04-12-2003, 04:47 PM
I thought you had an iPAQ 3870. When did you get a Pocket PC Phone?
I still own the 3870... but a PPCPE has dropped (almost literally) into my lap, and I've been using it as my primary PPC for the last few weeks. ;)

If the i700 is all they say it is, I might be considering one. We'll see.

--janak