View Full Version : New Dell Axim X5 Advanced

javageek
04-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Ok, I bought my Dell Axim on Friday of last week. I bought it from Dell and it was a refurbished one so I got a really good deal. I recieved it on Tuesday. On wednesday I discovered that the D-pad was royally screwed up, would only go down.

So I called Dell tech support.
Dell Tech - "First we must do a soft reset and then you will see the problem is fixed.."
Me - "Uhmm yeah right, ok it's reset"
Dell Tech - "The problem is fixed right?"
Me - "Uhh no, this is a hardware problem not software."
Dell Tech - "Ok, we must do a hard reset then"
Me - "Dude, this is a hardware problem, are a bunch of Dell techs gonna come running in my house when I do a hard reset"
Dell Tech - "You will see this will fix your problem"
Me - "Ok, it's reset, same thing, it doesn't work"
Dell Tech - "Ok then, we will send you a new Axim"

So, I get the tracking number and everything, they sent it two day UPS, it got here today. Now, remember I ordered a refurbed advance. Today I recieved a NEW Axim, no refurb sticker, and it has the 255 processor in it. So I got a brand new Axim 400 Mhz Advance for the low price of $259! I could not believe it when I opened my package. Please don't use me as an example to defraud Dell though... ;)

Sorry for the long post, I am excited though :)

spursdude
04-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Wow..... talk about GREAT luck!

But you know, hard reset corresponds to hardware problem... :D

dh
04-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Cool.
Although we all complain sometimes, Dell support is hard to beat.

PetiteFlower
04-12-2003, 02:10 AM
They HAVE to make you do the soft and hard resets before they can tell you to return it, whether they think it will actually fix your problem or not. I'm sure the tech support guy knew that it was not going to fix your problem but that's what they have to do. They did the same thing to me.

javageek
04-12-2003, 02:27 AM
I know that they have to, they have a checklist to follow. After he made me do a hard reset he put me on hold for about two minutes, I guess he had to talk to a manager. To me it sounded like he actually thought it would fix it because he kept saying you will see that it will fix your problem.

Fzara
04-13-2003, 02:32 AM
So you're saying that if I return my Axim X5 Advanced, that I bought back in December, I might have a possibility of getting the new PXA255 processor?

javageek
04-13-2003, 02:36 AM
I don't know if you will or not. All I am saying is I bought a refurbed Ax for $249 and then three days later I recieved a brand new, not refurbed Ax as a replacement for the refurb that was bad. Yes, there is a slight difference with the processor, but I am telling you it is not noticable except through the benchmark software.

TheBacklash
04-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Dell Tech - "Ok, we must do a hard reset then"
Me - "Dude, this is a hardware problem, are a bunch of Dell techs gonna come running in my house when I do a hard reset"
Dell Tech - "You will see this will fix your problem"

I love it when they say something like that... but of course they *are* going down a list of things to check for *general* problems... :roll: if they don't ask you to do it before they tell you to send it in... they may get in trouble.
personaly I would have told them I was hard reseting it... and just sat there a minute or two. :wink:

javageek
04-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Well, I noticed the day I got my new one that there is a burned out pixel in the center of the screen. I was trying to decide if it was really worth calling tech support about. I called today, and without hesitation the tech guy said he would send me out a brand new one, another brand new one that is. So, I am looking forward to my third ax in less than two weeks. :p

chris269526
04-16-2003, 06:02 PM
i just got a replacement... and it had had the 255 processor (and ive had my old one since christmas)
i guess its just luck of the draw

javageek
04-17-2003, 05:03 AM
I just got another new one in, this is my third Axim in two weeks exactly. This new one also has one pixel with a problem. It's not that bad, just a light brown pixel. I don't even think I am gonna call TS on this one. I am tired of backing up and syncing. I do have to give TS kudos though, 2 replacements in a weeks time, this last call was only about 2 sentences and he offered to send me another new one. I do love the Ax though!