View Full Version : Looking for WiFI Pocket PC

bspeed
04-11-2003, 08:06 PM
I am looking for the best Pocket PC with wifi so that I can obtain emails on the my business trips. I presently have the IPAQ 3975, but I imagine adding another sleeve on this item to accomadate wifi will be too bulky as I already use the sleeve for a SD card.
I really do not want to go through the exercise of buying a BT phone to obtain my email in this manner.
I imagine the IPAQ 5400 is 800.11b. Should I wait for a pocket PC with "g" or even "I".
In addition any information as to what service to use would be appreciated. I live in NY, travel to Vegas, Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Bob

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 08:10 PM
I am looking for the best Pocket PC with wifi so that I can obtain emails on the my business trips. I presently have the IPAQ 3975, but I imagine adding another sleeve on this item to accomadate wifi will be too bulky as I already use the sleeve for a SD card.
I really do not want to go through the exercise of buying a BT phone to obtain my email in this manner.
I imagine the IPAQ 5400 is 800.11b. Should I wait for a pocket PC with "g" or even "I".
In addition any information as to what service to use would be appreciated. I live in NY, travel to Vegas, Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Bob

You may also want to consider waiting for the 802.11 SD cards to come out. That would greatly increase your options as you'd only need a PPC with SDIO.

seanturner
04-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Take a look at my review of the iPaq 5400 series at: http://www.pdajunkie.net/wirelessinet5400.htm

I personally love it and reccomend it.

bspeed
04-11-2003, 08:17 PM
JR,
Sorry, but can you explain what a SDIO is? And if I wait for this wifi sd card, I would have to buy a two card slot sleeve, correct.
Any idea when this item will be available?

Thanks for your help!

Bob

bspeed
04-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Sean,
Thanks for the review! Can I ask what wireless service you use, or if you can recommend a website that gives me some information.
You mentioned a price of $700, is this pretty much the going rate in retail locations any the States?

Bob

Sheynk
04-11-2003, 11:38 PM
JR,
Sorry, but can you explain what a SDIO is? And if I wait for this wifi sd card, I would have to buy a two card slot sleeve, correct.

Thanks for your help!

Bob

SDIO is SD (secure digital) INPUT/OUTPUT

some are only for storage when they cant go both ways

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
JR,

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Like Sheynk said, SDIO is Secure Digital Input/Output which means the card can do a lot more. The first SD-enabled devices (like my iPAQ 3870) are not SDIO and therefore only support SD Memory. The newer devices support SDIO so you can use things like WiFi cards, Bluetooth cards, SD Cameras, etc.

There are already SD Bluetooth cards out there (I think Toshiba makes one), and WiFi is on the way. The initial estimates had the WiFi card available around now, but I believe it's been delayed. Unfortunately, I can't find the link that had the latest information.

HTH.

PetiteFlower
04-12-2003, 12:04 AM
IIRC the wifi SD card is due out around September?

Jeff Rutledge
04-12-2003, 12:05 AM
IIRC the wifi SD card is due out around September?

That sounds about right. I remember thinking it wasn't the end of the world as I'm holding off for PPC2003 and the new devices before I upgrade so I probably won't need it until at least then...