View Full Version : Buying New PC/ How To Migrate PPC

aleib
04-11-2003, 05:32 AM
I'm buying a new PC in the next week or so. I have a Toshiba e335, my question is how do I safely transfer all my active sync/PPC Files over to the new system and keep everything in order?

Pony99CA
04-11-2003, 07:09 AM
I'm buying a new PC in the next week or so. I have a Toshiba e335, my question is how do I safely transfer all my active sync/PPC Files over to the new system and keep everything in order?
Are you going to want to synchronize with both your old PC and your new PC? If you only want to synchronize with the new PC, I just went through this. If I recall, this is what I did:

I deleted my partnership on the old PC.
I installed Outlook on my new PC.
I installed ActiveSync on my new PC.
I created a partnership in ActiveSync with the old name.
I synchronized using the merge option to ensure the data got from my Pocket PC to my new PC.
I did a complete backup of the Pocket PC.

NOTE 1: If you have data in Outlook that isn't synchronized with Pocket Outlook, do not do step #5. Instead, copy your Outlook.pst file from your old machine to your new machine and synchronize with the replace option. Then copy the synchronized files from your old machine to your new machine's synchronized files folder.

NOTE 2: You won't be able to use ActiveSync's Add/Remove Programs... to reinstall programs on your Pocket PC, as the installer files aren't there. If you ever do a hard reset, you'll have to reinstall each program separately.

Steve

aleib
04-18-2003, 04:30 AM
Pony,

I followed your steps and everything went smoothly. I was impressed how easy the whole thing went!

Pony99CA
04-18-2003, 05:18 AM
I followed your steps and everything went smoothly. I was impressed how easy the whole thing went!
That's cool. Now, if anybody asks how to do it, you get to tell them. :-) (Of course, you could just link them here....)

Steve